• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why did Jesus have to die?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Jesus did not *have to die*, it was just a logical consequence of what he did and the context of his time. Anyone perceived as going against the establishment (two establishments, actually), and reaching out to the marginalized as he did, was sure to incur the wrath of powerful people, who in those days, had the power of life and death over their enemies.

This is the best light in which to interpret the story of Jesus.

But even his own disciples abandoned him....It wasn't just the rulers and those in power.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
He trolled the Pharisees and they were butthurt about it and started a riot on Jewchan, and the admin Pilate was like "Y u mad tho?" and the Pharisees were like "This dude thinks he's the King of the Jews. What if he challenged the throne?" and Pilate is all "Ok, I'll beat him for it." and they were like "NO! KILL HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!" and Pilate said "No way, my bro is innocent!" and they still said "NO! KILL HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!" and Pilate was all "Fine. Whatever. You kill him if you want. It's not on me."

And so he was crucified with a sign that said "King of the Jews" because they needed a sign to show publicly what the criminal was being crucified for, and the Pharisees said "No, he CLAIMED to be the King of the Jews!" and Pilate said "STFU, I wrote what I wrote."

Lark

He trolled the Pharisees and they were butthurt about it and started a riot on Jewchan, and the admin Pilate was like "Y u mad tho?" and the Pharisees were like "This dude thinks he's the King of the Jews. What if he challenged the throne?" and Pilate is all "Ok, I'll beat him for it." and they were like "NO! KILL HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!" and Pilate said "No way, my bro is innocent!" and they still said "NO! KILL HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!" and Pilate was all "Fine. Whatever. You kill him if you want. It's not on me."

And so he was crucified with a sign that said "King of the Jews" because they needed a sign to show publicly what the criminal was being crucified for, and the Pharisees said "No, he CLAIMED to be the King of the Jews!" and Pilate said "STFU, I wrote what I wrote."

The Master and Margarita is one good story about the fate of pilate, there are others, I think its Dante which has Judas frozen in a block of ice at the centre of hell.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why did Jesus have to die?!?!? WHY? WHY? WHY? *exasperated*

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Logged in to 5 notifications and thought I was going to die O.O

It was like "AHHH THEY'VE FINALLY HAD ENOUGH OF MY SHIT AND ARE GOING TO CRUCIFY ME!"

But no. -.-

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Master and Margarita is one good story about the fate of pilate, there are others, I think its Dante which has Judas frozen in a block of ice at the centre of hell.

Yeah I've read interesting things about Pilate.

Historical sources (what few there are) seem to indicate that he hated the Jews and was eventually recalled for abusing them. So even though it's claimed he considered Jesus to be innocent, he might have only said that to piss them off.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get teary eyed that Jesus willingly died.

God and Jesus, one and the same, in different forms though at the time of Christ..God asked of Jesus to be the ransom for taking the place of all the sins of people so God could provide everlasting life to men and women. The life of Jesus as ransom fills the void or lack people are (due to the sins) that God see people fit for living with him.

What's funny to me is the Romans were suckers, so full of themselves that they thought they knew what they were doing executing him. Idiots. God used their evil killing/murder of Christ and transformed it into a good thing-salvation for all who accept Christ to live in paradise. Amen.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

God and Jesus, one and the same, in different forms though at the time of Christ..God asked of Jesus to be the ransom for taking the place of all the sins of people so God could provide everlasting life to men and women. The life of Jesus as ransom fills the void or lack people are (due to the sins) that God see people fit for living with him.

What's funny to me is the Romans were suckers, so full of themselves that they thought they knew what they were doing executing him. Idiots. God used their evil killing/murder of Christ and transformed it into a good thing-salvation for all who accept Christ to live in paradise. Amen.

Are you fucking kidding me. if i were a god and could just resurrect at will I wouldn't consider myself considerably brave for doing the same sacrifice millions of human did without getting revered by billions

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Got anything better?

Well im not the one making outrageous statements here.

please, justify your point. I haven't made any crazy statements so far. reread what i wrote if you doubt it, i just questioned your statements.

A

A window to the soul

Amen.

Are you fucking kidding me. if i were a god and could just resurrect at will I wouldn't consider myself considerably brave for doing the same sacrifice millions of human did without getting revered by billions
If you don't have anything constructive to say...

Lark

How do you know that yet think that what a 2000 years old fairy tale says describes a god.

Describing it as a fairy tale might make you feel a little bit better about your views but the reality is that there's a strong tradition there, strong heritage based upon the wisdom of generations. You've only got contemporary conceit and its ebbing away.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well im not the one making outrageous statements here.

please, justify your point. I haven't made any crazy statements so far. reread what i wrote if you doubt it, i just questioned your statements.
Wait, so what's your problem..I'm not quite clear. I think you need to have an honest discussion with yourself. And quit misdirecting your life's confusion (on me). Lol

Lark

There's a point here, Jesus is described as true God and true man, that means he wasnt like Obi Wan stoically telling Darth if he were to strike him down he would become even more powerful and knowing that he'd exist again as a shimmery blue ghost, Jesus suffered and died as any other victim of scouring to within an inch of his life and crucifixion would, he cried out to God asking why he had betrayed him and while a lot of people rationalise that as his taking on the world's sin and weirdy, metaphysical speculation I'm pretty sure that he was just a man like any other in that scenario.

Its really analogous to the experience of every human being, there's promises and assurances in the world religions and philosophy for everyone in the face of death but ultimately everyone faces that themselves, individually, no one can go through that for you, no one can tell you about it.

For me that's the difference between Christianity and any other world religion what so ever, God in every other religion is distant from human life and experience, I dont think that the various avatars in the Hindu religion experienced anything like Jesus either. God is accused by many, although its rhetorical athiests in the main, for causing or complicity in much suffering but when you think about it he experienced some of the worst possible suffering first hand and personally in the incarnation and death of Jesus. I think to a lesser extent he experiences it with every life and death in humankind but that's me, based on some pretty outlandish Jungian theories.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's a point here, Jesus is described as true God and true man, that means he wasnt like Obi Wan stoically telling Darth if he were to strike him down he would become even more powerful and knowing that he'd exist again as a shimmery blue ghost, Jesus suffered and died as any other victim of scouring to within an inch of his life and crucifixion would, he cried out to God asking why he had betrayed him and while a lot of people rationalise that as his taking on the world's sin and weirdy, metaphysical speculation I'm pretty sure that he was just a man like any other in that scenario.

Its really analogous to the experience of every human being, there's promises and assurances in the world religions and philosophy for everyone in the face of death but ultimately everyone faces that themselves, individually, no one can go through that for you, no one can tell you about it.

For me that's the difference between Christianity and any other world religion what so ever, God in every other religion is distant from human life and experience, I dont think that the various avatars in the Hindu religion experienced anything like Jesus either. God is accused by many, although its rhetorical athiests in the main, for causing or complicity in much suffering but when you think about it he experienced some of the worst possible suffering first hand and personally in the incarnation and death of Jesus. I think to a lesser extent he experiences it with every life and death in humankind but that's me, based on some pretty outlandish Jungian theories.

God is within us and without us, regardless of religion. We need no bridge to commune with God. The most holy men in history have communed directly with God! If we are to be like Jesus, then instead of finding a demi-god to worship, we should just open our hearts and minds to the Lord, Abba.

Mole

Permabanned
It's so bizarre that you have this hang-up.

And this from someone who believes the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries is a form of light pollution.

And what a pity Jesus wasn't enlightened enough to say even one word against institutional slavery although he was surrounded by it.

Institutional slavey is one of world's oldest and greatest evils. Jesus could have followed the example of Spartacus (109-71BC) and opposed institutional slavery. But Jesus chose to remain silent and silence is complicity.

So we had to wait 1,800 years to the Enlightenment for institutional slavery to be abolished for the first time in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.

At which point we ordered the Royal Navy into the Atlantic to sink all American slave ships. And the Americans, discovering that discretion was the better part of valour, stopped transporting slaves across the Atlantic.

But nothing daunted, today the Americans are regaling us with a propaganda film called, "Lincoln". No expense is spared to leave us with the impression that President Lincoln freed the slaves, when in fact it was the guns of the Royal Navy that put an end to the Atlantic slave trade.