• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why did Jesus have to die?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, the real question is "Why does a loving God require a blood sacrifice for sin?"

I noticed you didn't answer your own question, so allow me. It's economic. Given the constraints of humans and the universe, we can't all have everything that ever existed. Every choice results in a sacrifice of the alternatives. Some sacrifices are bigger than others. I don't know why it's so difficult to conceive how someone could latch onto this simple yet prevalent fact of reality and base an entire moral system off it.

O

Oberon

I noticed you didn't answer your own question, so allow me. It's economic. Given the constraints of humans and the universe, we can't all have everything that ever existed. Every choice results in a sacrifice of the alternatives. Some sacrifices are bigger than others. I don't know why it's so difficult to conceive how someone could latch onto this simple yet prevalent fact of reality and base an entire moral system off it.

I'm not as certain as you seem to be that that's all there is to it. That's why I didn't address the question.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
And the supernatural made sense when we knew so little about the natural.

We now know our place in the Cosmos. We know what the Cosmos is made of. We know where the Cosmos came from. And most importantly, we know where we came from.

And all of it is in the natural world. The supernatural is no longer needed to explain our world.
I would submit that both are needed. Perhaps the supernatural is not needed to explain certain mechanics....but then there are others that evade our grasp and must be respected. Similarly, the moral/ethical implications concerning how we interface with the world are similarly vital. In the end, our definition of the supernatural may simply need tweaking/updating...I think it would be a grave mistake to discard the concept entirely.

Our scientific explorations have given us great tools...but in some regards we are still children playing with them. Let us not become too arrogant. In my view a mature culture uses science and spiritual understanding hand in hand....one not cancelling out the other, both used well. It may never come to define the universal human experience...but it has and is happening here and there, and that is a great thing.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Why did Jesus have to die? That's simple. You see, mankind had an arrangement with God, a "sin account" it might be called. In short, God made sin available to his people but any sin withdrawn from the account would need to be paid back at particular intervals, and God demanded blood sacrifice to balance the account. The choice of blood sacrifice makes good sense, since animals were a valuable resource which could not be slaughtered in abundance to make up for one reckless night of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Therefore, it was important to moderate your sinfulness by what you could afford to pay back. For example, if God demanded payment in sand then there would be no shortage of sinners and sinning, whereas payment by blood sacrifice helped make peaceful coexistence easier by making the cost of sin greater.

In any case, we humans are sinners and eventually withrew more sin from the sin account than we were paying back. God became tired of this debt, but Jesus, the son of God, the ultimate blood sacrifice, decided to martyr himself to balance the account, not just for the sin of those who came before him but the sin of all those who came after. The account was effectively ended and no more blood sacrifices were necessary. Jesus saved us all from the consequence of having a sin account in the red. That is why he had to die, because only the son of God could wipe clean that debt, and if any of this is true then we all have a great deal to be very thankful for.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not as certain as you seem to be that that's all there is to it. That's why I didn't address the question.

My pseudo-helpfulness was sarcastic. I knew why you didn't address the question because of the kind of question it was.
To me, when you take away the emotional fence-sitting from your question's rhetoric, all that's left is causality. It's so basic.

The choice of blood sacrifice makes good sense, since animals were a valuable resource which could not be slaughtered in abundance to make up for one reckless night of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Therefore, it was important to moderate your sinfulness by what you could afford to pay back. For example, if God demanded payment in sand then there would be no shortage of sinners and sinning, whereas payment by blood sacrifice helped make peaceful coexistence easier by making the cost of sin greater.

This is definitely supported by the Cain and Abel story.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because the universe and its pitiless laws of justice that Jesus so willingly served (assuming the story is true) are evil.

I mean look at our planet, to think that God was the designer of our genetic program would make him largely responcible for all of the unbearable suffering mankind has endured.

Some though say death is a transformation, but the process we take to get to there is so tough to wrestle with.

I suppose though the struggles of this life could be refining us for the next, and whatever higher dimensions of being there may be.

It follows that we must maximize our achievement while we are here, as the answer will not come through the sacrifice of Jesus, but rather through the progressive development of man.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because society must blame people with no power for their own problems so no one feels guilty or like they have to do anything about it

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because he could convert water into wine.

The wine producers weren't able to compete against someone who had basically no costs, and the rulers weren't able to find a legitimate way to tax the wine, so they decided that Jesus had to be eliminated.

Lark

Because he could convert water into wine.

The wine producers weren't able to compete against someone who had basically no costs, and the rulers weren't able to find a legitimate way to tax the wine, so they decided that Jesus had to be eliminated.

I know you're being flippant but the reality is that growing up with the myths and stories surrounding Jesus I think in some ways desensitises people to what is being discussed, imagine that you were a community leader, wine maker, fisherman, physician, any of the other professions incidentially mentioned in the bible and you witness or hear of these miracles, its not simply going to be a joyous occasion or wonderous, especially not if you've also heard that Jesus is teaching something different to you or does not meet with your own and time honoured thinking or expectations.

They were as wary about false prophets, charlatans and cults back then as we are today, I'm pretty sure of that, having read the bible and studied similar sources, like Josephus, these were not a bunch of fools, credulously recording hearsay as the conceited present would have anyone believe. They were learned and cautious.

In many ways I can understand the Pharisees, Sadducees (spelling) and Scribes reactions to Jesus, I'm sure they were typical of their reaction to many others like him, but the difference was that physical or natural laws didnt need to matter a damn to this guy into the bargain. Even before he'd raised people from the dead (which he did with one or two others, although he suggested that they were not dead but sleeping and there's a possiblity, although it could simply be modern doubt, that this was literal rather than metaphorical, although I believe there were wake periods observed and they seemed pretty wholly dead in that time) and then raised himself, apparently, he's bound to have appeared pretty unstoppable.

There is also the element which was brought out in some of the more recent novelisations about the life of jesus (I say recent, it predated Mel Gibson's movie and was probably in the ninties) that Judas was a bit of a kind of marxist-leninist character, and perhaps some of the relgionists in the establishment were too, they expected a warrior king, this messiah talked peace but could be provoked, as he was by the money changers in the temple, and had miraculous powers. I'm sure they thought that by their actions they would be provoking a final confrontation, forcing Jesus' hand, so he would use his miraculous powers against the Romans. I'm sure there were plenty of people who, like you say, just wanted rid of him too.

The whole thing is an epic story about how no matter how awry the world has gone God will not destroy it, there will not be another flood, that violence and power can not conquer for good in the way that mankind has perrenially believed that it can.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know you're being flippant but the reality is that growing up with the myths and stories surrounding Jesus I think in some ways desensitises people to what is being discussed, imagine that you were a community leader, wine maker, fisherman, physician, any of the other professions incidentially mentioned in the bible and you witness or hear of these miracles, its not simply going to be a joyous occasion or wonderous, especially not if you've also heard that Jesus is teaching something different to you or does not meet with your own and time honoured thinking or expectations
No kidding. I'd be like ''wtf is God doing, why did he give superpowerz to this Jeshua dood and not to me, let's all rebel against them" :ranting:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is human nature to persecute someone good to the death.
Yes. Jesus did not *have to die*, it was just a logical consequence of what he did and the context of his time. Anyone perceived as going against the establishment (two establishments, actually), and reaching out to the marginalized as he did, was sure to incur the wrath of powerful people, who in those days, had the power of life and death over their enemies.

The whole thing is an epic story about how no matter how awry the world has gone God will not destroy it, there will not be another flood, that violence and power can not conquer for good in the way that mankind has perrenially believed that it can.
This is the best light in which to interpret the story of Jesus.

Mole

Permabanned
In the Garden of Gesemene Jesus addressed his Father and asked that, "this cup pass from me", but his Father passed Him the cup anyway.

So Jesus was tortured to death because his Father commanded it.

And if we study the history of childhood, we find that child sacrifice is common. And the Father has form as He commanded Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac.

So we should remember that the three great monotheistic religions began with Abraham and child sacrifice.

Beorn

Permabanned
In the Garden of Gesemene Jesus addressed his Father and asked that, "this cup pass from me", but his Father passed Him the cup anyway.

So Jesus was tortured to death because his Father commanded it.

And if we study the history of childhood, we find that child sacrifice is common. And the Father has form as He commanded Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac.

So we should remember that the three great monotheistic religions began with Abraham and c hild sacrifice.

It's so bizarre that you have this hang-up. The Israelites might have been the first to have such strict written laws against child sacrifice. Whatever problems with the treatment of children the modern church might have they certainly don't stem from biblical teachings.

Leviticus Chapter 20

1 The LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
2 "Say to the people of Israel, Any one of the people of Israel or of the strangers who sojourn in Israel who gives any of his children to Molech shall surely be put to death. The people of the land shall stone him with stones.
3 I myself will set my face against that man and will cut him off from among his people, because he has given one of his children to Molech, to make my sanctuary unclean and to profane my holy name.
4 And if the people of the land do at all close their eyes to that man when he gives one of his children to Molech, and do not put him to death,
5 then I will set my face against that man and against his clan and will cut them off from among their people, him and all who follow him in whoring after Molech.