User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, the real question is "Why does a loving God require a blood sacrifice for sin?"
    I noticed you didn't answer your own question, so allow me. It's economic. Given the constraints of humans and the universe, we can't all have everything that ever existed. Every choice results in a sacrifice of the alternatives. Some sacrifices are bigger than others. I don't know why it's so difficult to conceive how someone could latch onto this simple yet prevalent fact of reality and base an entire moral system off it.
    I don't wanna!

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I noticed you didn't answer your own question, so allow me. It's economic. Given the constraints of humans and the universe, we can't all have everything that ever existed. Every choice results in a sacrifice of the alternatives. Some sacrifices are bigger than others. I don't know why it's so difficult to conceive how someone could latch onto this simple yet prevalent fact of reality and base an entire moral system off it.
    I'm not as certain as you seem to be that that's all there is to it. That's why I didn't address the question.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And the supernatural made sense when we knew so little about the natural.

We now know our place in the Cosmos. We know what the Cosmos is made of. We know where the Cosmos came from. And most importantly, we know where we came from.

And all of it is in the natural world. The supernatural is no longer needed to explain our world.
    I would submit that both are needed. Perhaps the supernatural is not needed to explain certain mechanics....but then there are others that evade our grasp and must be respected. Similarly, the moral/ethical implications concerning how we interface with the world are similarly vital. In the end, our definition of the supernatural may simply need tweaking/updating...I think it would be a grave mistake to discard the concept entirely.

Our scientific explorations have given us great tools...but in some regards we are still children playing with them. Let us not become too arrogant. In my view a mature culture uses science and spiritual understanding hand in hand....one not cancelling out the other, both used well. It may never come to define the universal human experience...but it has and is happening here and there, and that is a great thing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Why did Jesus have to die? That's simple. You see, mankind had an arrangement with God, a "sin account" it might be called. In short, God made sin available to his people but any sin withdrawn from the account would need to be paid back at particular intervals, and God demanded blood sacrifice to balance the account. The choice of blood sacrifice makes good sense, since animals were a valuable resource which could not be slaughtered in abundance to make up for one reckless night of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Therefore, it was important to moderate your sinfulness by what you could afford to pay back. For example, if God demanded payment in sand then there would be no shortage of sinners and sinning, whereas payment by blood sacrifice helped make peaceful coexistence easier by making the cost of sin greater.

In any case, we humans are sinners and eventually withrew more sin from the sin account than we were paying back. God became tired of this debt, but Jesus, the son of God, the ultimate blood sacrifice, decided to martyr himself to balance the account, not just for the sin of those who came before him but the sin of all those who came after. The account was effectively ended and no more blood sacrifices were necessary. Jesus saved us all from the consequence of having a sin account in the red. That is why he had to die, because only the son of God could wipe clean that debt, and if any of this is true then we all have a great deal to be very thankful for.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm not as certain as you seem to be that that's all there is to it. That's why I didn't address the question.
    My pseudo-helpfulness was sarcastic. I knew why you didn't address the question because of the kind of question it was.
    To me, when you take away the emotional fence-sitting from your question's rhetoric, all that's left is causality. It's so basic.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    The choice of blood sacrifice makes good sense, since animals were a valuable resource which could not be slaughtered in abundance to make up for one reckless night of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Therefore, it was important to moderate your sinfulness by what you could afford to pay back. For example, if God demanded payment in sand then there would be no shortage of sinners and sinning, whereas payment by blood sacrifice helped make peaceful coexistence easier by making the cost of sin greater.
    This is definitely supported by the Cain and Abel story.
    I don't wanna!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Because the universe and its pitiless laws of justice that Jesus so willingly served (assuming the story is true) are evil.

I mean look at our planet, to think that God was the designer of our genetic program would make him largely responcible for all of the unbearable suffering mankind has endured.

Some though say death is a transformation, but the process we take to get to there is so tough to wrestle with.

I suppose though the struggles of this life could be refining us for the next, and whatever higher dimensions of being there may be.

It follows that we must maximize our achievement while we are here, as the answer will not come through the sacrifice of Jesus, but rather through the progressive development of man.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Grave digger..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Because society must blame people with no power for their own problems so no one feels guilty or like they have to do anything about it
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Grave digger..
    Oblivion Summon Undead Effect

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Because he could convert water into wine.

The wine producers weren't able to compete against someone who had basically no costs, and the rulers weren't able to find a legitimate way to tax the wine, so they decided that Jesus had to be eliminated.