User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Why did Jesus have to die?

Narrative reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    If a christian is one who is certain there's a god,
    an atheist is one who is certain there's not,
    agnostics aren't sure,
    what do they call the people who don't care?
    I know this post is years old, but those people are called apatheists (or pragmatic atheists).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chawie View Post
    Citing "the children" does not add to your arguments, rather just makes you seem silly. I assume you are trolling me.
    As I write Australia is having a Royal Commission into child abuse so naturally I am interested in the theological implications.

And we see child abuse at the very beginnings of our religions when God ordered Abraham to abuse and kill his son, Isaac.

And this child abuse is continued when, in order to forgive us, God the Father, tortured his Son to death.

And this template of child abuse has been carried forward for two millennia where the priests and religious have continued to abuse children with the connivance of the police and the politicians.

The first successful attempt to stop institutional child abuse was carried out by the Government of Ireland under Justice Seán Ryan.

The Ryan Report took nine years and came down on 20 May, 2009. The Ryan Report showed institutional child abuse was endemic in Ireland.

Ireland was the first country in the world to oppose institutional child abuse and Australia is the second, following in Ireland's footsteps.

Why isn't your country following the example of Ireland and Australia in opposing institutional child abuse?

And indeed you might ask yourself - why I am defending child abuse?

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Honestly, I'm not very much impressed by people with a theology degree either. Their education tends to be just as biased, just in a different direction...
    Totally agree with that statement. The irony is that most "lay people" wouldn't agree with theologians either, even ones of their own faith *eyeroll*

As to the OP, I'm guilty of not really watching the video. The atheist part of my brain saw the words Jesus and sin and my brain erected a Level 10 shield.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft