• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which is more absurd?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Beginning of time or no beginning of time?

Life on other planets or no life on other planets?

Creator or no creator?

[disclaimer: I am not looking for simple answers to these questions. I am merely opening up discussion on the mysteries which shall remain so.]

Last edited:

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Protest: all absurd things are equally absurd. :)

And, an absurd thing is absurd, so there are no absurdities.

I'm quite serious.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is this just to get people riled up?

These threads usually only serve to do just that.

sassafrassquatch

Well, when you get back to the early moments of the big bang it's a quantum event and quantum mechanics is really weird to us on the Newtonian scale. The universe doesn't exist in time, it is time. Space-Time. So, skip this one.

The universe is too damn big for us to be the only life in the universe.

Creator or no creator?

Believing in magical people is stupid. Get with the Enlightenment.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
cant either side be argued at all ?

That's what I'm saying.

She crawls under the table and kicking people's legs as they glare at the person sitting across from them blaming them for the pain in their shins while she LOLs, hiding beneath the tablecloth. At her own dinner party no less!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sass had an interesting answer on this one.

How are we defining life again?

Creator or no creator?
No way to know.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Time began on March 3, 1923, according to this article.

But anyway, I believe that our minds create our own subjective reality.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Creator or no creator?

I agree with antireconciler. All of these positions are equally absurd. How one decides which position is based upon the assumptions they make and their overall worldview including culture, values, etc.... I think what is more fruitful is rather than declaring one of the viewpoints to be absurd, we should attempt to understand the viewpoint that we do not favor and why a person might reasonably hold that viewpoint.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Creator or no creator?

Philosophers have been asking the same questions for years!

Technically, these subjects aren't considered "absurd" at least by historians and critics. However, I think you might enjoy reading Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot or some of Edward Albee's works if you're interested in speculating upon the absurd. :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes.. I find these paradoxes intriguing. Brian Magee, in Confessions of a Philosopher did well to express the ideas that I have long pondered.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Answering based on my opinion of which of the options has the greatest chance of being absurd.

A beginning of time would be more absurd since if there was a beginning, what came before that beginning? If nothing, then when did the nothing begin?

No life on other planets.

Creator or no creator?
Creator.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If you're interested in paradoxes, and not necessarily the absurd- you might enjoy this book :)

Amazon.com: Paradoxes: Books: R. M. Sainsbury

'Absurd' wasn't meant to be interpreted literally with negative connotation, but I've never been the best at communication. What I meant was... with a paradox.. such as the one about time.. it is exasperating to consider either option... that is the appeal to me.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type

Creator or no creator?

1) It's linked, perhaps. Space-time continuum. In that sense, it's like a moebius band. no end or beginning, just an infinite loop that expands and expands if you try to cut it.

2) depends on one's definition of life. by probability, probably unlikely that only earth has life though....

3) does it matter? :)

nites!

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
'Absurd' wasn't meant to be interpreted literally with negative connotation, but I've never been the best at communication. What I meant was... with a paradox.. such as the one about time.. it is exasperating to consider either option... that is the appeal to me.

You're very good at communicating your thoughts, Dana! I appreciate your input. :) Time is particularly tricky because there are many overlapping factors so that it's not necessarily what it seems. Anyway, hope you enjoy the book, it discusses time--and the perception of time in it as well.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

No beginning is more absurd, but it seems more likely.

You'd have to define life, but I would say "no life" is more absurd.

I want to believe.

Creator or no creator?

At first glance, no creator seems more absurd, but as you get older and see how random and aimless things are, and the motives for inventing a creator, God is more absurd.

Great thread.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Creator or no creator?

[disclaimer: I am not looking for simple answers to these questions. I am merely opening up discussion on the mysteries which shall remain so.]
If we assume that in each question, there is an answer, then I would say that the one that is most absurd, is the one which is most difficult for finite human minds to comprehend.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Creator or no creator?

Beginning of time is an absurdity. It is pure nonsense.
Beginning of time cannot take place in time, can it?
It cannot take place beyond time, can it?
It cannot take place, can it?

Big Bang never was.
It is.