First 123

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Your world sounds fun though

I'm interested in cosmology too but I do think that some of the stranger conclusions about it, like cosmic ordering, the application of buddhist ideas such as transmigration of the soul, jungian ideas about collective consciousness and the oversoul are conjectur and misguided. It is interesting but a lot of it is as incredible as the claims of religion, it is received as more credible than religion because of trend in opinion to support and approve of science or anything apparently scientific.

I wouldnt worry about the ill feeling or anxiety of individuals in aggregate being a harbringer of the apocalypse any more than I would that lack of holocausts, observed covenants or sunday worship will provoke the anger of God. Its this age's equivalent of yesterdays "End of the World" men with their sandwich boards.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Ahem, Malice, did your friend happen to read the latest Dan Brown thriller?

Not that I would read stuff like that *cough, cough*, but one of the topics discussed in it is this (and it almost made be stop reading after the first few chapters):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noetic_theory

The theory of noetics centers around the idea that the human mind is capable of affecting work or events or even doing work in the physical world. It is suggested that thought and spirit are not, in fact, imaginary, but are Bose or photon based,[2] meaning essentially that the mind can be quantified by formulae which describe quantum materials such as light. This is a radical conclusion, as many people consider thoughts to be weightless. Noetic theory claims that just as gravity affects all matter, thoughts do as well, although to a lesser degree[citation needed]. Psychokinesis, more often called telekinesis, is concerned with the direct influence of mind on matter.

Noetic science formed a motif of the bestselling novel The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

Dan Brown's character somehow mixes this with quantum entanglement, which is why I thought that might be behind your conversation.

Maybe I'm narrow minded, but that might have been my last Dan Brown, although I love literary junk food once in a while.

This is what the Institute of Noetics has to say about it: http://noetic.org/about/news-IONS/lost/

And then there is this: http://www.scienceofthelostsymbol.com/ (probably the best I could find)

Let's just say I have my doubts.:rolli:
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ahem, Malice, did your friend happen to read the latest Dan Brown thriller?

Not that I would read stuff like that *cough, cough*, but one of the topics discussed in it is this (and it almost made be stop reading after the first few chapters):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noetic_theory

The theory of noetics centers around the idea that the human mind is capable of affecting work or events or even doing work in the physical world. It is suggested that thought and spirit are not, in fact, imaginary, but are Bose or photon based,[2] meaning essentially that the mind can be quantified by formulae which describe quantum materials such as light. This is a radical conclusion, as many people consider thoughts to be weightless. Noetic theory claims that just as gravity affects all matter, thoughts do as well, although to a lesser degree[citation needed]. Psychokinesis, more often called telekinesis, is concerned with the direct influence of mind on matter.

Noetic science formed a motif of the bestselling novel The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

Dan Brown's character somehow mixes this with quantum entanglement, which is why I thought that might be behind your conversation.

Maybe I'm narrow minded, but that might have been my last Dan Brown, although I love literary junk food once in a while.

This is what the Institute of Noetics has to say about it: http://noetic.org/about/news-IONS/lost/

And then there is this: http://www.scienceofthelostsymbol.com/ (probably the best I could find)

Let's just say I have my doubts.:rolli:
    There's a couple of Dean Koontz books which feature this too, I remember seening the screen adaptations and at least one of them featured a paraplegic (spelling) child who was able to psychokenetically exact revenge upon the world.

Whatever happened to the serious parapsychological research?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    Your world sounds fun though
    I wish it was. In theory maybe in practice not so much.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm interested in cosmology too but I do think that some of the stranger conclusions about it, like cosmic ordering, the application of buddhist ideas such as transmigration of the soul, jungian ideas about collective consciousness and the oversoul are conjectur and misguided. It is interesting but a lot of it is as incredible as the claims of religion, it is received as more credible than religion because of trend in opinion to support and approve of science or anything apparently scientific.
    Dose sound incredible. But of course for the world to end you'd have to have six billion plus souls to want the world to end and that just ain't gonna happen. What may happen is it could get subverted into different streams of energy like wars, diseases, disasters etc. I'm good at linking and interesting left of center ideas none would consider, gets carried away with it spectacularly. Its like a deposit box of out side the box moments, because if there is a box whose to say its limited to the number of people on earth, I'm good like that, more so these days than I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Dose sound incredible. But of course for the world to end you'd have to have six billion plus souls to want the world to end and that just ain't gonna happen. What may happen is it could get subverted into different streams of energy like wars, diseases, disasters etc. I'm good at linking and interesting left of center ideas none would consider, gets carried away with it spectacularly. Its like a deposit box of out side the box moments, because if there is a box whose to say its limited to the number of people on earth, I'm good like that, more so these days than I used to.
    Well in some sense that could be described as a spiritual or cosmology philosophy explanation for what is really a materialistic fact that massive reductions in the population, particularly depending on where it happened in the world would result in perhaps the end of the world of mankind but not the world per se.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    LOL! Sorry guys, I didn't realize that my thread topic had nothing to do with my post! It's simply what she called it. Something about how it's the same thing as a cat in a box? Until you open the box the cat exists in two possible states alive/dead and whatever you think it might be has a better chance of what it will be when you open it? I dunno.
    Problem: for the cat to be in such a superposition of states, it would have to be near absolute zero and well isolated from everything else. The cat dies anyway due to that
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.