User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Unhappy Do all dogs go to heaven?

One of my friend's dogs died recently and she was understandably upset by that- it was a really nice dog and she loves dogs! While she was talking about it she brought up a topic that had never really crossed my mind before- do dogs go to heaven?

I love my dog, and am sad whenever I remember that I'm probably going to outlive him by quite a few years- and the thought of spending eternity without my dogs- the ones that I grew up with and my darling puppy I have now- sounds more like hell to me than any form of heaven I'd personally rather just die and be dead if I'm going to have to forgo being with my dog to get there

So... DO dogs go to heaven?

I would think that they would because dogs are good- they are so much more loyal and loving than most human beings are! I wouldn't think that a loving God would ever be able to send such a wonderful creature anywhere BUT heaven! (of course, I also beleive in reincarnation so that's thrown into the mix too :sad
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe the first question asked should be if there actually is a heaven....?

(yes, i'm a brat.)

And then it would depend on where heaven came from, what it is, and how it works, before we could guess decently whether the dogs would go there.

But it would be nice to think of a place with that much variety, with the animals and things we have grown attached too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe the first question asked should be if there actually is a heaven....?

(yes, i'm a brat.)
    Or if there is a God, if he were actually caring and loving.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

lets assume all of these things.... do dogs go to heaven?

I hope so!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

the dogs who ask forgiveness for their sins go to heaven.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFJ

Here are a few quotes on the subject.

"If I have any beliefs about immortality it is that certain dogs I know will go to heaven, and very very few people."
    James Thurber.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

"The second large question - do animals go to heaven? I do believe that we and our animals will meet again. If we do not, and where we go is supposed to be heaven, it will not be heaven to me and it will not be where I wish to go."
    Cleveland Amory

I think most people (who believe in God) believe that God will have provided for us everything we could wish for in Heaven. For anyone who has known the joy of experiencing the human-animal bond, having our pets there would be an essential aspect of providing for that happiness.

I believe that animals, dogs in particular, are capable of giving us true unconditional love, whereas most humans are not capable of that. Therefore we have much to learn from them. Surely God will have provided for them in Heaven.

I read a short story when I was a child that left an indelible impression on me. It was called "The Soul of Caliban," by Emma-Lindsey Squier. I don't know where you might be able to find it but I highly recommend reading it if you can.

Personally, I am absolutely sure that they will be there.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    the dogs who ask forgiveness for their sins go to heaven.

Only makes sense. If humans must make right with their souls in order to get into heaven, why shouldn't the same be required of dogs?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Only makes sense. If humans must make right with their souls in order to get into heaven, why shouldn't the same be required of dogs?

yeah that was my logic. lol
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

crap, dude, I thought your antler dog died =( scared me!

condoleances and hope it goes to dog heaven anyway =s

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Heaven, as a concept, is the ultimate reward for a lifetime of positive behavior.

Hell, conversely, is a realm of final punishment wherein one spends eternity suffering for his misdeeds.

The key variable is agency. Which reality does the applicant best deserve, relative to their choices while alive. Accountability and autonomy cooperate to grant context into the spectrum of behavior the individual embraced.

As both (accountability/autonomy) require the capacity to differentiate good from bad behavior (measured against some higher celestial template/paragon), the animal likely does not qualify for either destination (insofar as popular religion reflects).

No - dogs are inherently unable to enter "Heaven", such that traditional religion envisions.

Take heart - I find religion can sometimes function as the strongest obstacle to God.