User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 81

  1. #51
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    When you die, you lose *everything* you've come to love and appreciate. You have no more contact with your loved ones or friends. You can't eat any more tasty food, listen to any more music, or see any more beautiful art. You can no longer do the things you love. You can no longer contribute to the betterment of society. You can no longer gain knowledge or insights on things. Death is far worse than major losses in life. If you lose a loved one, at least hopefully you have other relationships you can depend on. If you lose your hearing and can no longer listen to music, you still have your vision and can appreciate a sunset or beautiful art. But when you die, that's it. It's *all* gone.

    Maybe I take this viewpoint precisely because I don't believe in any sort of afterlife. However, I've heard several atheists also say they don't fear death either. The people who claim to not fear death are not necessarily depressed or nihilistic either. Some are very well adjusted people who currently enjoy life. And I'm not sure age has much to do with it either. It's not just old people who are saying that. I've heard that from 18 year olds as well.
    Have you ever suddenly lost consciousness? If you have, you'll know that in that period of being unconscious, you lose 'you'. There is no 'you' so there is no fear. Everything 'you' goes away. When you wake, you have no memory or conception of what happened in the period of time. This is very likely what death is, except death being permanent. You cannot have consciousness without working matter to support it (i.e.: a living normal-functioning brain). This is why death is nothing to be afraid of. Remember how things were before you were conceived in the womb? No. And that's a point worth mentioning.

  2. #52
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    At a more conceptual level, is this just another manifestation of the fear of the unknown where some tag it with worst case scenarios?

    Also, do some want to live forever? If so, you're going to fear death more than others who don't.
    I'm not so sure I would want to live forever What will I do once I've learned everything I want to learn and experience everything I want to experience? Then life would be very boring. To live life constantly bored would be torture. What I do wish for is a greatly increased life span because the life expectancy as it stands today, doesn't give me nearly enough time to learn and experience all the things I want.

    I'm not so sure that those who don't want to live forever necessarily fear death more than those who don't. You can still fear death in the sense that you worry that you'll die before you feel ready to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that the fear of death reflects how disatisfied people are with their lives or how alienated they are too.
    Do you think people who are dissatisfied with their lives fear death more? Maybe to a point, but I think if someone was extremely dissatisfied, they might welcome death if see no hope of things improving in the future.

    I do agree more alienated people probably fear death more.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  3. #53
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm not so sure I would want to live forever.
    If you lived forever, you wouldn't live at all. For we are only aware of our being through our awareness of our non-being.

  4. #54
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    It is important not to confuse fears with phobias. Phobias result in significant anxiety and avoidance behaviours, whereas fears may merely be that which Victor stated in a previous post.

    It is not so much death that people fear, but a premature death. A death before achieving certain life goals*. A death before saying goodbye to those who one loves.

    *(or giving ones life meaning as a previous poster put it - though I disagree that meaning in life is created through achievements or contribution to society)

  5. #55
    Warflower Nijntje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    Have you ever suddenly lost consciousness? If you have, you'll know that in that period of being unconscious, you lose 'you'. There is no 'you' so there is no fear. Everything 'you' goes away. When you wake, you have no memory or conception of what happened in the period of time. This is very likely what death is, except death being permanent. You cannot have consciousness without working matter to support it (i.e.: a living normal-functioning brain). This is why death is nothing to be afraid of. Remember how things were before you were conceived in the womb? No. And that's a point worth mentioning.

    This is pretty much how i view it as well. I don't fear death, i fear zombies and and dying alone and the possible pain that may be associated with death.

    The inevitability and certainty of death removes the fear for me. Now, HOW i die i may well be afraid of, but death itself? No.

    Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.
    .



    Conclusion: Dinosaurs


  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    Have you ever suddenly lost consciousness? If you have, you'll know that in that period of being unconscious, you lose 'you'. There is no 'you' so there is no fear. Everything 'you' goes away. When you wake, you have no memory or conception of what happened in the period of time
    Having no memory of that time is precisely why I don't pretend to know what's going on during it. Absence of evidence not being evidence of absence.

    For example, there's evidence to suggest people are conscious throughout sleep, or a lot more of it than is generally thought, but it simply isn't recorded into memory. It is all but proven that a lot of it is forgotten within the first few minutes of waking up. There's also people recording that they are conscious when very drunk, yet having no memory of it afterwards (even just a few seconds afterwards).

    There's some interesting research going on in this area, especially around people who used to be in comas, and those who are very advanced meditators.

  7. #57
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOHY7Z5eaQ"]I Couldn't Help It[/YOUTUBE]
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  8. #58
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Having no memory of that time is precisely why I don't pretend to know what's going on during it. Absence of evidence not being evidence of absence.

    For example, there's evidence to suggest people are conscious throughout sleep, or a lot more of it than is generally thought, but it simply isn't recorded into memory. It is all but proven that a lot of it is forgotten within the first few minutes of waking up. There's also people recording that they are conscious when very drunk, yet having no memory of it afterwards (even just a few seconds afterwards).

    There's some interesting research going on in this area, especially around people who used to be in comas, and those who are very advanced meditators.
    maybe you are right, but it seems more of a stretch that somehow our consciousness goes on with no body to support it rather than it just ending. Then again, I was reading up on NDE's and how quantum mechanics could play a role in a transition of consciousness to "phase space", much like a body would be to a phone, the brain a receiver and consciousness to information in waves. This could be natural phenomena then(?) I guess this isn't news, that research has been going on for a few decades at least.

  9. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    maybe you are right, but it seems more of a stretch that somehow our consciousness goes on with no body to support it rather than it just ending. Then again, I was reading up on NDE's and how quantum mechanics could play a role in a transition of consciousness to "phase space", much like a body would be to a phone, the brain a receiver and consciousness to information in waves. This could be natural phenomena then(?) I guess this isn't news, that research has been going on for a few decades at least.
    Yeah. In fairness though, I wasn't suggesting that the consciousness goes on without the body, more that that line of reasoning doesn't provide evidence either way.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    I fear death to the point that I will shit myself once I'm dead.

    :O

Similar Threads

  1. Movies No One Wants to See More Than Once
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-20-2017, 09:03 PM
  2. Thousands of people want to be Paris Hilton and no one wants to be Spiderman?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
  3. [INFJ] What good is a journey if you have no one to share it with?
    By weakshadeofblue in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
  4. [ENFP] Two ENFPs but no one to make the first move?!
    By Wild horses in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 10:18 AM
  5. How do people's minds actually seem to divide up?
    By Zergling in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO