User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

"Death comes to us all." ^ avatar

" Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity... "

"Men only think of their past right before their death, as if they were searching frantically for proof that they were alive. "

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

"Death comes to us all." ^ avatar

" Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity... "

"Men only think of their past right before their death, as if they were searching frantically for proof that they were alive. "

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a very painful situation to be in. And it is a situation no other animal finds itself in. So we are the only animal that has created religion.
    I agree. But the problem was that we attacked conscious fear by conscious methods. Instead of a rational religion we should have chosen the irrational.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So not only do we have a visceral fear of death like all other animals but we are conscious of our visceral fear of death.

This is a very painful situation to be in. And it is a situation no other animal finds itself in. So we are the only animal that has created religion.
    I'm not afraid to die because I have no doubt there's a God up in heaven and heaven is... well, heavenly.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Death is inevitable. Why fear this?
    My response too.

Spiders, public speaking and zoo bears are fine too.

Sting rays tho *shudder* they're so slinky and unnaturally flat!

Enneagram
    9w8

When I worked with the elderly as a caregiver there was a scent to death, despair, and the dying - it permeates retirement homes, and is a smell I hate. There was much death there, and it knocked some interesting lessons into me early on. The process of dying - and dying alone - were much worse for many of them than the actual thought of death.

I am not at the point where my end is a nearing point and a concern hovering in the peripherals of my psyche, but that doesn't mean I am unaware of it or blithely ignoring it. In fact, the exposure I had to it is part of what made me develop the drive to not take an ounce of this existence for granted and has given a certain perspective to any and all shite thrown oneself in life.

I'm glad of it.
    Last edited by Zoom; 01-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I agree with the "inevitable" bit. I'm scared of dying, that is to say, I'm scared for those moments when I am actually dying, but I'm not scared of being dead (I'm not a believer in an afterlife, but to be scared of non-existence is to be scared of, well, nothing). That probably doesn't make sense, but there it is.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i fear death a bit, but there's not really much i can do about it, so...

i just figure there are a lot of other things more worth my worry.

(/spiritual agnostic)

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I am certainly afraid of death, although not constantly or overwhelmingly.

Oddly enough, you could say that my fear of death has contributed to a wonderfully strange fear of life. I really don't know if all my fears are very reasonable though.

I am both comforted and discomforted by nonexistence... But I've found the entire affair surrounding that point to be completely uncomfortable all-around...
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I guess lots of people don't fear death because it seems so far away you can ignore it.
    Yes, but people who fear spiders aren't scared of spiders miles away.

Being scared of something is obviously only relevant when you are actually confronted with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    But they don't fear it before it is a real possibility. They don't have a chronic fear of death. I actually should have made this distinction in my own post.
    Sounds like an important distinction. I didn't sense anything chronic about what was described in the OP. Chronic implies that you keep vividly confronting it in your own imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    I'm not afraid to die because I have no doubt there's a God up in heaven and heaven is... well, heavenly.
    But what if the threat of death is right in front of you? All the consequences (leaving family behind etc) plus the raw reactionary fear seem unlikely to vanish.

At least, when someone shoots up a place, the Christians run like everyone else. Some people genuinely don't run, but those are usually the ones who have had training or previous experience (from marines to monks). Even then, most of those people I've heard mention it say they still fear it.