User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Death is inevitable. We will all experience it. It is accepted and so time is just my walk to my death. I need not be afraid of that. I am far more afraid of my status when I die and the process of becoming dead itself.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I usually don't fear death, but I am all too aware that when the time impends for me (or anyone) to face the likelihood of death it is literally the most inescapable, most horrifying sensation you'll ever feel. 'Cause when the time comes... *who knows what you'll think.*

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Everyone dies. I try not to be afraid for my entire life because well, that sounds kinda shitty.

I don't do anything to severely hasten it, though. I certainly don't want to die, but as a young healthy person, it's kinda silly to dwell on it, don't you think?

Quality of life is important too, not just quantity.
    as happens quite often, you said exactly what I was thinking, only more nicely succinctly
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Ever considered that they are lying or deluded? I'd guess most who claim not to fear it are in one of those two categories.

The evidence is that the vast majority of the population fears death very strongly.
    More that we fear not having a reasonably long life than fearing inevitable death when we're old. So why court what you don't desire? I avoid dogs who display hostile behaviour towards me when unrestrained but I don't really fear dogs per se. I fear pain.

ReflecTcelfeR

I think it may be the fact that if you can separate fear from death, fear is now avoidable. We want to avoid fear not death.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'd love to say how irrational it is to fear death, but the fact is I'm not afraid of death because I don't have a very good imagination. The scenario seems unreal to me. I think when the idea becomes more palpable I'll be able to handle it gracefully, because I'm pretty flexible when having to come to terms with changes and the unknown.

MBTI
    ENTP

I guess lots of people don't fear death because it seems so far away you can ignore it. Moreover you can't avoid it. It's more useful (genetically speaking) to program a fear of spiders or heights or a crowd surrounding you (barbaric enemies, on the scale of genetic evolution the "memory" of barbaric enemies is a very recent one), because that could make you avoid possibly dangerous things that CAN be avoided. Which is genetically useful because it will improve your chances to reproduce. Remember any gene which improves the chance of itself being copied will be "rewarded" by lots of copies and thus survive.

On a more personal level: I'm quite afraid of death, but I'm able to put that fear away and rationalize it. I can think about death, feel very afraid, and the next moment think about something else and make the fear go away. Which is not the case for some other fears of mine. In such a survey I'd put those before death.
    I'm afraid because it means the end. After death I can't finish my novel, so I've got to finish it NOW. Same for any other plans (read: mad ideas). Which are, of course, too numerous to count, let alone realise them! My image of death is a bunch of unfinished projects being thrown away. Or worse: being kept "because they are mum's (...)" but with no intention of ever finishing them or displaying them, and with complaints of them taking up too much place...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Smile It's in our genes.

All animals fear death. And as we are meaning creating animals, we fear death along with every other animal.

And being meaning creating animals, we rationalise death. And religion is the prime means we use to rationalise death.

But no matter how much we rationalise, along with all other animals, we have a visceral fear of death.

And if we didn't have a visceral fear of death, we wouldn't be here.

So we can say we have been selected to fear death, just as we have been selected to fear snakes and to fear falling. Such visceral fears have guaranteed our survival and the survival of our genes.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    All animals fear death.
    But they don't fear it before it is a real possibility. They don't have a chronic fear of death. I actually should have made this distinction in my own post. Of course I will be scared shitless when someone points a loaded gun to my head or a lion jumps out of the bushes, but that was not what I considered this topic to be about..

Smile The Religious Animal

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    But they don't fear it before it is a real possibility. They don't have a chronic fear of death. I actually should have made this distinction in my own post. Of course I will be scared shitless when someone points a loaded gun to my head or a lion jumps out of the bushes, but that was not what I considered this topic to be about..
    Yes, we are the only animal that consciously fears death. And in fact we are so conscious of death that we have created ten thousand religions to rationalise it.

And in my opinion, we are the only animal that is conscious. Of course some other animals look conscious, particularly pets, because they have emotions. But I don't believe they are conscious of their emotions as we are conscious of ours.

So not only do we have a visceral fear of death like all other animals but we are conscious of our visceral fear of death.

This is a very painful situation to be in. And it is a situation no other animal finds itself in. So we are the only animal that has created religion.