User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would open the box.

16 44.44%
  • I would leave the box alone.

20 55.56%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I would totally open it

Whoever opens it has a more meaningful life than anyone who has ever existed. Why ignore that kind of power to do greatness?

MBTI
    INTj

Don't forget that you would suffer unimaginable agony for a thousand years, presumably with no option of entering suspended animation. I doubt anyone can tolerate that.

MBTI
    INTP

The box stays closed.

Interesting topic!

Do I get some kind of guarantee to stay mentally intact during the years of suffering?
    If I do, I will open the box. I would be the last and most important Great Person of history. History would literally die with me. How awesome is that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

My line of thought on the thousand years of pain is the following:

#1 When the time is up, you are living in a paradise that, as stated, has no suffering, sickness, etc... Once you enter this paradise, the psychological scars are presumably no longer there
    #2 If that doesn't happen, there is eternity to work through those issues
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    you would instantly become semi-immortal and have to suffer every affliction, wound, sickness, etc., that existed in the moment in time that you opened the box in, and you would have to suffer over the course of the next thousand years, after which you would also be allowed to live in paradise.
    By semi- immortal would one still be able to die by violence/accident?

If one doesn't wait out this thousand years does everyone else lose the paradise?

If the answers are respectively yes - no, going with my first instinct,I think I would just open the box, see how long i could handle things, then just kill myself if it got to unbearable.

im not 100% sure though, because one good point is that the suffering in this world, is often the catalyst for the most beautiful things in our world, cruelty breeds compassion, death makes life worth living... what would be the point of going on in an eternal paradise in which you're constantly happy? would happiness even mean anything without sadness, and other negative emotions, to contrast it against? without the dark and light to add contrast to our souls, would we even really be human anymore? I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    im not 100% sure though, because one good point is that the suffering in this world, is often the catalyst for the most beautiful things in our world, cruelty breeds compassion, death makes life worth living...
    So what if you could achieve all these things without their "dark side", why wouldn't it be a life worth living? A world without the law of diminishing marginal utility. Suffering is exactly why it is so hard to imagine a world of constant positive emotions and neverending pleasure.

what would be the point of going on in an eternal paradise in which you're constantly happy?
    What would be "the point"? Why does it need "a point"?
    Does suffering have "a point", or is it more that you post-rationalize shit by saying it is necessary for being a counterweight to all the good things?
    Everybody could be happy in their little microcosm, even people who enjoy suffering.

without the dark and light to add contrast to our souls, would we even really be human anymore? I don't know...
    Why would you insist on being human if you had better options?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

A world devoid of suffering and sickness is fun. A world devoid of interest and discomfort is not. (And immortality? woot!)

..Alright, let's just get this millennia over with.

MBTI
    INTp

I would leave it alone, there simply can't be happiness all the time. I think that a balance must be maintained.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

I think the need for balance becomes irrelevant if we live in a world void of pain, negative emotions, etc... Having hardships throughout the course of one's life is beneficial in the world we live in because they enable the construction of our psychological and physical defenses. Without the need for defenses, what would be the benefit of having balance?

Basically, it would be all the fun of rolling on X with none of the iffy side effects
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."