User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would open the box.

16 44.44%
  • I would leave the box alone.

20 55.56%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wouldn't 1000 years of taking the suffering of the entire world upon yourself shortly drive you mad, so that even if you entered paradise after 1000 years, you'd no longer be sane to enjoy it and might be twisted enough to inflict it again upon the world?

Even Jesus only made it three days.

We, we'd be leaving our sanity for the rest of our lives... and we wouldn't have called a soul... and we wouldn't have packed a thing...

... or is it part of the assumption of the question that we could be perfectly fine after 1000 years of complete thoughtless agonizing misery and pain?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    I see the point now.

Exactly.

One of the greatest attempts to remove suffering from mankind there ever was. I remember it still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Wouldn't 1000 years of taking the suffering of the entire world upon yourself shortly drive you mad, so that even if you entered paradise after 1000 years, you'd no longer be sane to enjoy it and might be twisted enough to inflict it again upon the world?

Even Jesus only made it three days.

We, we'd be leaving our sanity for the rest of our lives... and we wouldn't have called a soul... and we wouldn't have packed a thing...

... or is it part of the assumption of the question that we could be perfectly fine after 1000 years of complete thoughtless agonizing misery and pain?
    I've read some interesting story arcs in Dracula fiction suggesting that the reason Van Helsing didnt destroy him was to do with a suspiscion that he was the "Jesus driven insane with suffering" and killing him would destroy everything in existence, the whole plot tool hinged on whether or not you believed it was a clever lie created by Dracula to prevent people destroying him or not should they ever have him at their mercy.

Its a book called Dracula: Asylum, dont know the author's name off hand, good book for pulp fiction based on the universal monsters.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've read some interesting story arcs in Dracula fiction suggesting that the reason Van Helsing didnt destroy him was to do with a suspiscion that he was the "Jesus driven insane with suffering" and killing him would destroy everything in existence, the whole plot tool hinged on whether or not you believed it was a clever lie created by Dracula to prevent people destroying him or not should they ever have him at their mercy.
    That's a novel plea.

I'm not sure it would fly for anyone else but Dracula: "I'm Jesus, and if you kill me, the entire world will stop. Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Most people would shoot anyway, I think... and then pause to reload. With impunity.

Its a book called Dracula: Asylum, dont know the author's name off hand, good book for pulp fiction based on the universal monsters.
    Thanks for the ref.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know if I'd be doing people any favors be removing all suffering. Suffering is one way we learn to grow in character.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

It appeals to me to open it. But I guess there will have to be some arrangements made with the surrounding people (who will not know anymore what suffering is). How could they get to understand? And then the great challenge of remembering the promise for a thousand years... (Better build some monument, like a pyramid...)
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

no...there's a reason that this is not paradise.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I probably wouldn't hesitate to open the box. By simply dissociating the severity of my actions, I'd be forced to endure it...If I had to endure it silently and couldn't choose to back out for a whole thousand years, lest everything be for naught, I would reconsider.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

A window to the soul

Everybody stand back, I'm opening the box. I'll apologize later.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Sounds like we could make a movie out of this concept. Oh... wait.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~