• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Comparative religion?

Lark

Comparative religion will make you lose whatever faith you had in the first place.

Would you agree with or disagree with this statement?

I've only become seriously interested in comparative religion in the last year or so and it has challenged my faith in some ways, particularly the sheer record of dead religions but it hasnt caused me personally to lose faith altogether.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Disagree.

I think if your faith is strong enough, and deeply rooted, you'll be able to study other religions and not be shaken. If anything, your faith will become stronger. But like I said, it depends on what your faith is built upon.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Disagree.

If your faith is rooted deep enough inside of you, your belief wouldn't be shaken by the knowledge of other religions. It could broaden your horizons and show you the different vantage points of which your belief may have not done, but I disagree in thinking that it weakens your underlying faith.

KDude

Comparative religion will make you lose whatever faith you had in the first place.

Would you agree with or disagree with this statement?

No, that's pretty sad if someone can't handle information. Besides, I think many people of faith/ethical concerns would just find some of this information, a way to bridge a gap and see new ways to connect with others. For example, the "Golden Rule" is expressed, more or less, in other religions besides Christianity (like Buddhism, for example). A Christian could find solace in that.. that there are more people that one can work with or express these ideals with than what he/she thought. Why wouldn't they want to know that? To have another segment of the world basically concerned about many of the same things would be good news, objectively speaking. Or were their religious concerns superficial and merely about being in some special club, all along?