User Tag List

123 Last

Default A world without sin

We live in a world without sin, that's not to say that no one is wicked, evil or bad but that there's no popular or consensus conceptualisation of anything like sin.

So, do you think this is good or bad or neither?

Good.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think this has been conceptualized before in science fiction. People don't sin, aren't bad.. just maladjusted and need to be corrected to integrate into society. Roll out the shock treatment and conditioning.

So, could be bad.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I think we do have a reasonably existent popular or consensus belief of what sin is.

It's more about whether or not we believe that "sinning" matters, and whether our concepts of sin become less black and white, and develop some shades of grey, as we get older and mature.

For most of us, as we get older, what would generally be considered lesser forms of sin (fornication, visiting strip clubs, getting drunk/high/etc.) tend to become less problematic in our minds.

Worse forms of sin (murder, stealing, adultery, lying) tend to maintain their status as serious offenses, regardless of our age.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well... first off we'd have to seperate the concept of sin and social mores... oftentimes the "sins" have been adapted into the social mores of the culture as things you just don't do... and many sins are considered sins when they were adapted by religions as forbidden things because they were against the social mores of the times... religious rules were origionally considered the rules of social necessity- religion being an explanation of WHY the world is as it is and why we do things- every society ended up with some form of religion to explain science and social sciences

secondly- would there still be laws against stuff like murdering people and stealing stuff or would those be a free for all in this new society as well? There is a difference between legal and moral, though oftentimes morals were taken into account when the laws were written

thirdly- how nitpicky of sins are we getting into here? are we going to things like the old testament books where it's a sin to eat a lobster or things of that sort?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    We live in a world without sin, that's not to say that no one is wicked, evil or bad but that there's no popular or consensus conceptualisation of anything like sin.

So, do you think this is good or bad or neither?

Can Somalia fit in this world? Or should we exclude them and throw'em off the world? They do have kids with machine guns...

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Sin makes the world go round.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    I never understood that phrase.

"Money" makes the world go 'round. "Sin" makes the world go 'round. "Love" makes the world go 'round. If the metaphor's supposed to hint at the true nature of humans, then why mention just one thing? Human drama, love, suffering, joy as well as the systems in which these states operate (financial, cultural, etc.) and everything else we know as beings should also be included, shouldn't it? Nothing exists in a vaccuum.

Alright so what is this thread about?

/shameless derail

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    "Money" makes the world go 'round. "Sin" makes the world go 'round. "Love" makes the world go 'round. If the metaphor's supposed to hint at the true nature of humans, then why mention just one thing? Human drama, love, suffering, joy as well as the systems in which these states operate (financial, cultural, etc.) and everything else we know as beings should also be included, shouldn't it? Nothing exists in a vaccuum.
    *ahem* .. Pardon me, but I think you've both been misinformed. According to the great western philosopher Ice Cube, it is gangstas that make the world go 'round.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbviP8i8WPw"]-[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTP

No you got it all wrong.
    Turtles make the world go round. Just look at how cute they are.