• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The modern mind is not the personal mind

Lark

I heard this comment made recently by someone commenting about rioting in London, largely implying that whatever the cause organising a massive assembly of people is unwise as people will behave differently in groups and be more easily overpowered by groupthink than ever.

If it helps the individual was a traditionalist, very possibly anti-modernist, RC and a Nun.

I was wondering what everyone thought of the statement? Do you consider it to be correct or incorrect? Why? Does it explain rioting?

MBTI Type
Mann
I will respond to this post fully later, but I do believe there is a truth to it. Jim Morrison actually noticed the power of the collective at some of The Doors concerts. I will have to look up the passage/respond when I have more time.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
"No man is an island" was a quote I remember hearing at about the age of 8 or 9. I never bothered to question it. It seems fair enough to leave it alone, but also profound enough for me to benefit from the statement and take it as if it were a truth.

Mole

Permabanned
Enchanté

The modern mind is disenchanted and homeless. But the electronic mind is enchanted by the electronic tribe in the global village.

The electronic mind has left the soltary loneliness of print, and found their home in the electronic media.

So once again we are enchanted by the warmth of home.

Enchanté.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Was it disenchanted before or after the arrival of the electric villagers? Was it lost and then found, or was it, in awe of a new horizon, content to leave for greener pastures, larger villages, and far from any semblance of loneliness? Did we strive to end up here, or merely settle here? Are we meant to congregate in this community because it is a better home, or was the lost home doomed to fail?

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
"No man is an island" was a quote I remember hearing at about the age of 8 or 9. I never bothered to question it. It seems fair enough to leave it alone, but also profound enough for me to benefit from the statement and take it as if it were a truth.

It comes from one of John Donne's sermons. He also happened to be one of the metaphysical poets of the 16th-17th century.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
The modern mind is disenchanted and homeless. But the electronic mind is enchanted by the electronic tribe in the global village.

The electronic mind has left the soltary loneliness of print, and found their home in the electronic media.

So once again we are enchanted by the warmth of home.

Enchanté.

A strange form of freeness, don't you think?
It's like thinking to oneself at the computer desk: "I'm here...but not here at the same time."
The world continues to shrink and shrink--network-wise. But it's getting larger and larger, as we know more about the universe.

heic0714g-wallpaper.jpg

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
There were roits before the modern era, and therefore 'group think'. There is no way to prove that this is worse now than it was in the past.

rav3n

If the comment read "The human mind is not a personal mind", I would agree. Mob mentality has existed since time began. It's now politely called society.

S

Sniffles

Mob mentality has existed since time began. It's now politely called society.
Legitimate social ties and views are not the same as "mob mentality". A mob is a large unruly group of people. Society by contrast is governed by order.