User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default The modern mind is not the personal mind

I heard this comment made recently by someone commenting about rioting in London, largely implying that whatever the cause organising a massive assembly of people is unwise as people will behave differently in groups and be more easily overpowered by groupthink than ever.

If it helps the individual was a traditionalist, very possibly anti-modernist, RC and a Nun.

I was wondering what everyone thought of the statement? Do you consider it to be correct or incorrect? Why? Does it explain rioting?

I will respond to this post fully later, but I do believe there is a truth to it. Jim Morrison actually noticed the power of the collective at some of The Doors concerts. I will have to look up the passage/respond when I have more time.

MBTI
    INTP

"No man is an island" was a quote I remember hearing at about the age of 8 or 9. I never bothered to question it. It seems fair enough to leave it alone, but also profound enough for me to benefit from the statement and take it as if it were a truth.

Smile Enchanté

The modern mind is disenchanted and homeless. But the electronic mind is enchanted by the electronic tribe in the global village.

The electronic mind has left the soltary loneliness of print, and found their home in the electronic media.

So once again we are enchanted by the warmth of home.

Enchanté.

MBTI
    INTP

Was it disenchanted before or after the arrival of the electric villagers? Was it lost and then found, or was it, in awe of a new horizon, content to leave for greener pastures, larger villages, and far from any semblance of loneliness? Did we strive to end up here, or merely settle here? Are we meant to congregate in this community because it is a better home, or was the lost home doomed to fail?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    "No man is an island" was a quote I remember hearing at about the age of 8 or 9. I never bothered to question it. It seems fair enough to leave it alone, but also profound enough for me to benefit from the statement and take it as if it were a truth.
    It comes from one of John Donne's sermons. He also happened to be one of the metaphysical poets of the 16th-17th century.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The modern mind is disenchanted and homeless. But the electronic mind is enchanted by the electronic tribe in the global village.

The electronic mind has left the soltary loneliness of print, and found their home in the electronic media.

So once again we are enchanted by the warmth of home.

Enchanté.
    A strange form of freeness, don't you think?
    It's like thinking to oneself at the computer desk: "I'm here...but not here at the same time."
    The world continues to shrink and shrink--network-wise. But it's getting larger and larger, as we know more about the universe.

“To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

There were roits before the modern era, and therefore 'group think'. There is no way to prove that this is worse now than it was in the past.

If the comment read "The human mind is not a personal mind", I would agree. Mob mentality has existed since time began. It's now politely called society.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...