• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

if god was a designer, he did a poor job

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

bible says that god was a creator for everything and that he knows everything.

if it were true, how the heck could he make mistake this big? this kinda proves that god is either short sighted, stupid, or that he didnt design us. either way, what bible says about god must be false.

one thing i dont understand people who believe in bible, many things in it has been proven wrong, but still people keep on believing in it. there is few things that those people do, ignore the facts, try to explain these things with ridiculous arguments like "god created dinosaur bones to test our faith", or just are unable to question things that are said about god, even tho the view to the bible has changed completely.

id like to hear what people who believe in bible have to say about laryngeal nerve.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1287791745244.jpg

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/LeoninRalAziraan/1287791745244.jpg

but its amusing when people try to explain something that doesent make any sense :biggrin:

but i could see those people just ignoring this thing like they tend to do with most the things that make sense and is against their believes

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_laryngeal_nerve

Evidence of evolution

The extreme detour of this nerve in giraffes (fifteen feet further than the 'direct' route of a designer) is cited as evidence of evolution as opposed to intelligent design. [1] However, the existence of fibres innervating other structures such as the Cardiac plexus along its length gives reason other than purely an evolutionary blunder for the seemingly nonsensical route.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
the biblical god has already been nullified by its own doing, so that's really not a fair fight. What about a deistic god/simpler idea of god?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
God from the bible does not exist. You cannot convince the bible believers that God doesn't exist, you just can't.
However we do not know what lies outside of our universe. Is it just one big ball expanding, or one of many balls expanding.
If the universe is limited there might just be something outside of it. But I'm pretty sure it's not some guy with a beard that created us after his own looks, that's ridiculous. Looking down from the clouds.

I wonder who wrote the bible......
However I do believe that the bible has served it's purpose in the past, uniting people, conditioning their behavior a little. I mean...1800 years ago there were no forensics, the odds of catching murderers was pretty slim, so some people may actually have not killed or stolen or whatever, because they feared god. Although most killers do not care about God.
The bible also kept families together. And made people better (the ones who believed)

It was a brilliant idea (that was abused a little), and I believe that it's obsolete now.

I find it amusing that people are allowed to go to heaven or hell, but animals are not. If the rest of the life on Earth dies it just dies. If a human being dies something magical happens...gee.. that's awesome.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find it amusing that people are allowed to go to heaven or hell, but animals are not. If the rest of the life on Earth dies it just dies. If a human being dies something magical happens...gee.. that's awesome.

Humans are approximately 1% different from chimpanzees genetically. It's amazing where that 1% more can get us. :laugh:

The Bible makes God sound like some sort of insecure INxJ asshole who has the mentality of a child who likes to mess little ants just because he can. I don't buy it. All primates evolved from squirrel-like creatures, including us.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
bible says that god was a creator for everything and that he knows everything.

if it were true, how the heck could he make mistake this big? this kinda proves that god is either short sighted, stupid, or that he didnt design us. either way, what bible says about god must be false.

one thing i dont understand people who believe in bible, many things in it has been proven wrong, but still people keep on believing in it. there is few things that those people do, ignore the facts, try to explain these things with ridiculous arguments like "god created dinosaur bones to test our faith", or just are unable to question things that are said about god, even tho the view to the bible has changed completely.

id like to hear what people who believe in bible have to say about laryngeal nerve.

Methinks you take things too literally.

And what does the laryngeal nerve have to do with the price of tea in China anyway?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Bible makes God sound like some sort of insecure INxJ asshole who has the mentality of a child who likes to mess little ants just because he can.

God is an INTJ. That's why He ignores your prayers.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the title of this thread should have been named, "Irrefutable proof that the glass really is half empty."

KDude

God told me not to read Genesis to begin with, so this doesn't affect me.

That's right. I know him personally.

braveheartirish.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the title of this thread should have been named, "Irrefutable proof that the glass really is half empty."

Why? Why is the glass half empty if some angry, vengeful, sexist Daddy in the sky doesn't exist? The god of the Holy Bible amounts to basically an uneducated brute guided by his emotions. People won't actually go to hell to burn forever for being homosexual, being an unbaptized baby, committing suicide due to clinical depression, or not knowing that about the Christian god because they're from another part of the world. That seems like good news to me

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'm not saying this because I disagree with you... I don't believe in the existence of a god, myself. But calling this 'irrefutable' evidence also seems a tad absurd. There have been a number of cases throughout the history of science where we misunderstood or lacked understanding of the purpose of certain scientific discoveries or mechanisms. I wouldn't ever be surprised if some of these types of things were later found to have some sort of purpose that wasn't immediately obvious to us.

However, laryngeal nerve aside, the human body is a pretty weak/fragile thing. I'm not sure one could imply that ANY perfect designer would have created such a weak species unless it was intended. But where in the bible/religious doctrine does it say that humans are meant to be perfect? Unless we were immortal, one could ALWAYS find a flaw with our design. Thats the downfall of being mortal: There has to be a weakness SOMEWHERE. It's not infallible proof that we are not created by a god, but proof that we're not meant to be perfect.

Again, I'm not a theist myself. I just don't see this as a very powerful argument against Christianity.

KDude

People won't actually go to hell to burn forever for being homosexual, being an unbaptized baby, committing suicide due to clinical depression, or not knowing that about the Christian god because they're from another part of the world. That seems like good news to me

One of the celebrated OT characters was a depressed, suicidal maniac.

samsonv.gif

:rolli:

As for your other point, the bible has passages that excuse non-Christians actually. I don't think they were originally so hard-lined about it. That's later.. more of an instituitional thing.

Some people naturally obey the Law's commands, even though they don't have the Law. 15This proves that the conscience is like a law written in the human heart. And it will show whether we are forgiven or condemned. [Romans 2.14,15]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personally, I'm still agnostic. I don't think there's ever been irrefutable proof that some kind of creator does not exist. However, I just can't believe in any of the mythology anymore. Too many big huge loopholes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of the celebrated OT characters was a depressed, suicidal maniac.

samsonv.gif

:rolli:

As for your other point, the bible has passages that excuse non-Christians actually. I don't think they were originally so hard-lined about it. That's later.. more of an instituitional thing.

Some people naturally obey the Law's commands, even though they don't have the Law. 15This proves that the conscience is like a law written in the human heart. And it will show whether we are forgiven or condemned. [Romans 2.14,15]

Celebrated OT characters also include drunks, pedophiles, and rapists. Yay.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Personally, I'm still agnostic. I don't think there's ever been irrefutable proof that some kind of creator does not exist. However, I just can't believe in any of the mythology anymore. Too many big huge loopholes.

sounds like you're a 'de facto atheist', actually. Any sensible atheist knows you can't disprove gods...Unless you like the idea that the supernatural is a square circle inherently. Sometimes I do, personally. And sometimes I think about other things when I'm pooping instead. Like how many carrots I would have to eat for my skin to change in color noticeably, or even if that's entirely possible. I don't know, I forget what carrots do sometimes.

Nicodemus

However I do believe that the bible has served it's purpose in the past, uniting people, conditioning their behavior a little. I mean...1800 years ago there were no forensics, the odds of catching murderers was pretty slim, so some people may actually have not killed or stolen or whatever, because they feared god. Although most killers do not care about God.
Indeed, fear is a great instrument in uniting and conditioning people. It has worked for emperors, popes, great dictators and minor presidents. Living in fear, though, is not that great; and being united with some means being ununited with others: the enemies.