First 12345 Last

*sigh*

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP

Every feature of an organism that has ever existed once served a purpose. There is no blank slate on the arrow of time, one can only move from on place to the next. Is it stranger that an organism adapts using features already present, or to recreate the sum of those features simultaneously when faced with the need to adapt? The universe clearly has some sense of direction and some recognizable chain of events that would result in the existence of certain "silly" (from a limited, human perspective) features in the process of undergoing further adaptation as the linear progression of time continues. And who are you to criticize a designer? Many engineers spend huge portions of their lives trying to design the near-undesignable, yet life is functional, regardless. If there was a god, I would be the first to nominate him for a Nobel prize in biology.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

:/ it was very interesting but i'm gonna need something with less cutting and giraffe blood i'm afraid...can you just tell me what the deal is please?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    :/ it was very interesting but i'm gonna need something with less cutting and giraffe blood i'm afraid...can you just tell me what the deal is please?
    I'll explain.

A giraffe dies and travels from one immensely diverse and yet self-sustaining eco-system in Africa to another diverse and self-sustaining eco-system on an island off the coast of europe. But, here the plants and animals making up the eco-system are quite different from the one's in africa and suited for a more temperate climate.

Once it arrives it is cut up by humans. These humans stand upright utilizing the vestibular system contained within their inner ears to keep themselves from falling over. They also are able to see what they are doing by by the light reflecting off of the objects in front of them then being received by the eyes and finally flipped right-side up by the brain. They then hear and speak to one another using their brains as well as a host of other organs all working in unison.

They use their voices to tell us that the giraffe has an organ that is much longer then is necessary for its apparent function. Thus they prove that the world is flawed, that there must not be a designer and everything that is must have happened by chance.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hmmm....thanks....
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    hmmm....thanks....
    I'm here to help.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Why? Why is the glass half empty if some angry, vengeful, sexist Daddy in the sky doesn't exist? The god of the Holy Bible amounts to basically an uneducated brute guided by his emotions. People won't actually go to hell to burn forever for being homosexual, being an unbaptized baby, committing suicide due to clinical depression, or not knowing that about the Christian god because they're from another part of the world. That seems like good news to me
    Is this post serious or facetious? I don't think I could have written a more "glass half-empty" post if I tried.

(Also for the record I don't believe in an ever burning hell. Nor do I think God will punish people simply for being homosexual, unbaptized, clinically depressed, or from another part of the world.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

bible says that god was a creator for everything and that he knows everything.

if it were true, how the heck could he make mistake this big? this kinda proves that god is either short sighted, stupid, or that he didnt design us. either way, what bible says about god must be false.

one thing i dont understand people who believe in bible, many things in it has been proven wrong, but still people keep on believing in it. there is few things that those people do, ignore the facts, try to explain these things with ridiculous arguments like "god created dinosaur bones to test our faith", or just are unable to question things that are said about god, even tho the view to the bible has changed completely.

id like to hear what people who believe in bible have to say about laryngeal nerve.
    More anthropomorphism.

You've stated that by the measure of human design God is a bad designer, I agree entirely. Human designers are to God as a single cell organism is to a human designer.

This is what I cant abide about most athiest evolutionary theorists (yes, there are theist evolutionary theorists, the ideas of Darwin or others are not anathema to Roman Catholics for instance but they do contain narratives about nature, humanity, life and God which are disgraceful or have been made so) they really have no idea of divinity and no wonder what so ever.

Your criticism of scriptures is pretty lame, its a little like, for instance, mocking science and medicine because of its earliest days when it, for instance again, was convinced of the transmission of disease by miasmas (spelling) or smells.

If you had a good appreciation for history you would know that there has been generations of higher criticism and the dominant authorities within Christendom do not cling to literalism, still others have always considered tradition and a living faith to be more important than foundational texts or mere books, the greatest authorities have known that was idolatrous from day dot.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    But I'm pretty sure it's not some guy with a beard that created us after his own looks, that's ridiculous. Looking down from the clouds.
    You're right it is, is that biblical and who believes that?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think what sets human design and divine design apart is infact the capacity for autonomous evolutionary development, can man achieve that? Can machines man has created do that?

No, not even if you believe all the stuff about AI and a singularity (which I dont because machines have no emotional or moral compass and without that I dont believe that logic, calculation, rationality ever amount to consciousness. Infact I think if machines ever became self-aware they would be as liable to self-terminate as anything else).

It's a pretty wonderous thing, even if you believe that all material, life and the universe is accident and all religion man made error there is a lot of coincidence there and it is pretty unscientific to dismiss frequent coincidences. The myriad forms of religion, study of eastern vs. western wisdom and consideration that metaphysical speculation is frequently an outgrowth of despairing of goodness and harmony in this life to inspire incredible doubts in me. However, doubt is different from disbelief or even hostility, which I think accounts for both agnosticism and atheism or anti-theism.

Its never been more difficult to believe anything, consequently the easiest course, not believing anything, becomes the mature, clever and objectively/psychologically most credible existence. Not with a bang but a wimper. So it is.