User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 80

  1. #11
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    God told me not to read Genesis to begin with, so this doesn't affect me.

    That's right. I know him personally.


  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think the title of this thread should have been named, "Irrefutable proof that the glass really is half empty."
    Why? Why is the glass half empty if some angry, vengeful, sexist Daddy in the sky doesn't exist? The god of the Holy Bible amounts to basically an uneducated brute guided by his emotions. People won't actually go to hell to burn forever for being homosexual, being an unbaptized baby, committing suicide due to clinical depression, or not knowing that about the Christian god because they're from another part of the world. That seems like good news to me

  3. #13
    Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    I'm not saying this because I disagree with you... I don't believe in the existence of a god, myself. But calling this 'irrefutable' evidence also seems a tad absurd. There have been a number of cases throughout the history of science where we misunderstood or lacked understanding of the purpose of certain scientific discoveries or mechanisms. I wouldn't ever be surprised if some of these types of things were later found to have some sort of purpose that wasn't immediately obvious to us.

    However, laryngeal nerve aside, the human body is a pretty weak/fragile thing. I'm not sure one could imply that ANY perfect designer would have created such a weak species unless it was intended. But where in the bible/religious doctrine does it say that humans are meant to be perfect? Unless we were immortal, one could ALWAYS find a flaw with our design. Thats the downfall of being mortal: There has to be a weakness SOMEWHERE. It's not infallible proof that we are not created by a god, but proof that we're not meant to be perfect.

    Again, I'm not a theist myself. I just don't see this as a very powerful argument against Christianity.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

    ~

  4. #14
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    People won't actually go to hell to burn forever for being homosexual, being an unbaptized baby, committing suicide due to clinical depression, or not knowing that about the Christian god because they're from another part of the world. That seems like good news to me
    One of the celebrated OT characters was a depressed, suicidal maniac.



    :rolli:

    As for your other point, the bible has passages that excuse non-Christians actually. I don't think they were originally so hard-lined about it. That's later.. more of an instituitional thing.

    Some people naturally obey the Law's commands, even though they don't have the Law. 15This proves that the conscience is like a law written in the human heart. And it will show whether we are forgiven or condemned. [Romans 2.14,15]

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Personally, I'm still agnostic. I don't think there's ever been irrefutable proof that some kind of creator does not exist. However, I just can't believe in any of the mythology anymore. Too many big huge loopholes.

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    One of the celebrated OT characters was a depressed, suicidal maniac.



    :rolli:

    As for your other point, the bible has passages that excuse non-Christians actually. I don't think they were originally so hard-lined about it. That's later.. more of an instituitional thing.

    Some people naturally obey the Law's commands, even though they don't have the Law. 15This proves that the conscience is like a law written in the human heart. And it will show whether we are forgiven or condemned. [Romans 2.14,15]
    Celebrated OT characters also include drunks, pedophiles, and rapists. Yay.

  7. #17
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    wow Marm is really hot.

  8. #18
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Personally, I'm still agnostic. I don't think there's ever been irrefutable proof that some kind of creator does not exist. However, I just can't believe in any of the mythology anymore. Too many big huge loopholes.
    sounds like you're a 'de facto atheist', actually. Any sensible atheist knows you can't disprove gods...Unless you like the idea that the supernatural is a square circle inherently. Sometimes I do, personally. And sometimes I think about other things when I'm pooping instead. Like how many carrots I would have to eat for my skin to change in color noticeably, or even if that's entirely possible. I don't know, I forget what carrots do sometimes.

  9. #19
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    wow Marm is really hot.
    Thanks!

  10. #20
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    However I do believe that the bible has served it's purpose in the past, uniting people, conditioning their behavior a little. I mean...1800 years ago there were no forensics, the odds of catching murderers was pretty slim, so some people may actually have not killed or stolen or whatever, because they feared god. Although most killers do not care about God.
    Indeed, fear is a great instrument in uniting and conditioning people. It has worked for emperors, popes, great dictators and minor presidents. Living in fear, though, is not that great; and being united with some means being ununited with others: the enemies.

Similar Threads

  1. If God doesn't exist then how was everything/the earth created?
    By theflame in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 06-08-2017, 06:29 PM
  2. If God exists, he must be laughing his ass off at this.
    By xisnotx in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
  3. If I was married to a...
    By Angry Ayrab in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
  4. If BlueWing Was a Book...
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO