• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Loving God?

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
I think Sassa has more than a right to say what he thinks anyway because it genuinely IS what he thinks

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Now, I'm a medical student right... and...(MEDICAL ESTP STUDENT WHOO!) I have never failed to look in awe at my anatomy and physiology textbook of 1300 pages, and marvel at stuff like "scientists are still researching the purpose of the ganglion", "scientists have erred and discovered calcitonin is also produced in the thymus".... Science in fact, is just a study of how things in the world are. They have tried to figure out what light is and changed their classification of it over 13 times! But they still have no idea what it is that makes our body move. Could it be... a soul? What keeps the soul alive? What are emotions? Are they are response to something? What is the feeling... of guilt? Joy?

You know, we have 100 billion neurons in our head!! Indeed we are wonderfully and beautifully made. HOW DARE SOCIETY tell us we are nothing more than monkeys,N.

University of Melbourne!

The newest 2008 Melbourne Model!

I'm doing Masters of Nursing science :)

My current textbook is anatomy and physiology by thibodeau :) Its semester one and we start in march!
Sweetheart, you are not in medical school, and isn't deliberately lying considered a sin?

Master of Nursing Science, School of Nursing, University of Melbourne

Do you know what science is? How it works?

Are you familiar with the theory of evolution?

What was the last science course you've taken, and when???

:D Though I don't like children or animals.

Interesting...

I feel that Christianity caters to both the intellectually devoid, and, or the morally depraved, to individuals who feel the need to "fake" their niceness to be socially accepted, that, or follow in the footsteps of more or less fictitious icons, rather than actually thinking for themselves.

sassafrassquatch

The obvious is... You believe in GOD.

Uh, no?

I believe He created you, but you don't have to follow or understand Him. If you want to be a bitter, little man... be my guest. *shrugging shoulders* You'll get what you want, and it doesn't mean a thing to me.

Pfft. Yeah, I like to argue and I have a sick sense of humor but I'm pretty happy most of the time.

Yea I think God is smart this way - what else in the world preaches unconditional love.

Buddhism?

I had a hunch that this is what all of this was about. Control.

O noes! I won't submit to your imaginary friend! I'm such a horrible person!

I think Sassa has more than a right to say what he thinks anyway because it genuinely IS what he thinks

Damn straight.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
But my parents are Buddhist and everytime I ask them what happens after we die they say we become nothing. They pray to a few different Gods, and we have a statue of the Goddess of Mercy at home. Nirvana means becoming nothingness. And mum always tells me we gotta make use of the time we have before we die cos after we die we get nothing.

Technically, I am in my Uni's medical faculty and that is where I bought my Thibodeau textbook. I ASSUME I am a medical student because that is what it says on my COE, including the fact I'm going into midwifery. I apologize if you think I am lying, so let God judge me on that. The last science course I ever took was in Secondary school :) My bachelor was in the media, totally unrelated.

I am telling you the truth that I'm not an animal person or a children person, when someone asks me whether I like them or not I'm like "they're ok I guess". I do have a dog, but she's the family rug.

As for the "those in religion have to pretend to be nice", well YES! I have to make a conscious effort, all the time to be nice. My natural instinct is to want to swear, kill and punch. I was born to be nasty.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, we were all born depraved. It takes a conscious effort every day, every hour/minute/second to work to be a good person. This is what GOD wants us to do (to do the hard stuff).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Technically, I am in my Uni's medical faculty and that is where I bought my Thibodeau textbook. I ASSUME I am a medical student because that is what it says on my COE, including the fact I'm going into midwifery. I apologize if you think I am lying, so let God judge me on that. The last science course I ever took was in Secondary school :) My bachelor was in the media, totally unrelated.

I am telling you the truth that I'm not an animal person or a children person, when someone asks me whether I like them or not I'm like "they're ok I guess". I do have a dog, but she's the family rug.

As for the "those in religion have to pretend to be nice", well YES! I have to make a conscious effort, all the time to be nice. My natural instinct is to want to swear, kill and punch. I was born to be nasty.
Well, that settles that then...

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel that Christianity caters to both the intellectually devoid, and, or the morally depraved, to individuals who feel the need to "fake" their niceness to be socially accepted, that, or follow in the footsteps of more or less fictitious icons, rather than actually thinking for themselves.

It does seem to attract a great number of non-thinkers but a lot of the intellectuals you meet are also christians. You probably just don't know because they're less likely to use religion as debate weaponry as they have other, more effective arms.

Yes, we were all born depraved. It takes a conscious effort every day, every hour/minute/second to work to be a good person. This is what GOD wants us to do (to do the hard stuff).

God: Behave
Nocapszy: Yes, massa...

heart

heart on fire
It is a folly to think that Christianity has special attraction to those who refuse to think. I have known just as many subscribing to Buddhism, Paganism and the New Thought philosophies who didn't like to think either.

EDIT for clarification: I don't think Christianity has any special attraction for lack of reason out of all the other religions.

Last edited:

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
reminds me of the saying that the hardest path in life is the one that takes the most climbing. i do have to try very very hard to listen to people, because i tend to talk more than listen. i stumble all the time - hey thats another toby mac song "everyone of us has stumbled, everybody's humbled..." i do stupid things, and probably i stated the medical school thing cos of pride. the more i know God i gotta say the more im shocked by how dark i am. i used to feel bad about doing the wrong thing, especially when im testifying, but then i read in the bible that Peter ran to Jesus even after he wronged him 3 times

i guess last year i felt like i was leading a Detestable life! I knew myself...that I was a big bum and a liar, wasnt doing anything at all with my life. anyone who really knew me would hate me! so i was always pretending to be someone i was not. probably i struggle with it even now, but God's nudge for me to learn driving, pick up guitar etc... well i've not only gained useful skills, i can be proud i can do something now at least. So it was.. God, ok, make me a better person.

So you're right. I literally have to surrender to God every morning and ask him to help me through the day, or let me commit it to him. arguably, we can give in and do whatever we want, but i think part of the "inner fire" i was talking about comes from trying and trying

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It is a folly to think that Christianity has special attraction to those who refuse to think. I have known just as many subscribing to Buddhism, Paganism and the New Thought philosophies who didn't like to think either.

That doesn't discount the idea that conventional christianity is a potential breeding ground for the adversaries of reason.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ah man!!!!

Now I'm starting to feel guilty. Hey, if it helps you live your life in a better way than what's standard, rock on!!!

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
The only question I have is that if God loves unconditionally, then wouldn't he through that unconditional love accept you no matter what and therefore accept you into Heaven regardless?

I mean saying that if you don't do this or that then you're going to hell isn't exactly unconditional is it?

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
reminds me of the saying that the hardest path in life is the one that takes the most climbing. i do have to try very very hard to listen to people, because i tend to talk more than listen. i stumble all the time - hey thats another toby mac song "everyone of us has stumbled, everybody's humbled..." i do stupid things, and probably i stated the medical school thing cos of pride. the more i know God i gotta say the more im shocked by how dark i am. i used to feel bad about doing the wrong thing, especially when im testifying, but then i read in the bible that Peter ran to Jesus even after he wronged him 3 times

i guess last year i felt like i was leading a Detestable life! I knew myself...that I was a big bum and a liar, wasnt doing anything at all with my life. anyone who really knew me would hate me! so i was always pretending to be someone i was not. probably i struggle with it even now, but God's nudge for me to learn driving, pick up guitar etc... well i've not only gained useful skills, i can be proud i can do something now at least. So it was.. God, ok, make me a better person.

So you're right. I literally have to surrender to God every morning and ask him to help me through the day, or let me commit it to him. arguably, we can give in and do whatever we want, but i think part of the "inner fire" i was talking about comes from trying and trying
You know, everything that you spoke on this post; you are also talking about my life. (you are just a lot younger and smarter than me!) :smile:

heart

heart on fire
That doesn't discount the idea that conventional christianity is a breeding ground for the adversaries of reason.

Is it truly by some solid measure anymore of a breeding ground for lack of reason than any other conventional religion, including conventional Budhism and Hinduism?

I am not saying that it does not attract a lack of reason, I am saying I don't think it holds any special place among the various religions. I see people in the west hold a special hatred of it because of their own personal prejudices having been raised in it but really it is no worse than any other traditional religion in this regard as far as I can see.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
The only question I have is that if God loves unconditionally, then wouldn't he through that unconditional love accept you no matter what and therefore accept you into Heaven regardless?

I mean saying that if you don't do this or that then you're going to hell isn't exactly unconditional is it?
Not all Christians believe this, but I believe in unconditional election. Did you ever wonder why GOD loved Jacob, but He HATED Esau? I thought Jacob was a rat, and Esau seemed to be a good person. There was a reason for it, but I couldn't quite understand it. I understand now that there was a reason why He did, and I can't question it. It just is.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is it truly by some solid measure anymore of a breeding ground for lack of reason than any other conventional religion, including conventional Budhism and Hinduism?
I didn't say it was any more of an obstacle to logicians. I only said that is is an obstacle.

IMO it is worse, but I can't really measure that. I mean, I could count the number of poorly designed logical fallacies in the bible and compare it to that in the torah, but it's really important which ones are worse.

What matters is that they do inhibit rationality..
[/QUOTE]

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
About the unconditional love and hell: well, sure that's why you're always welcome to follow God anytime during your life. Thats why he sent Jesus to die on the cross, so that all who believe in him can go to heaven. All you have to do is believe.

You see, it is because we believe that we follow his will. Not vice versa. God is not what's controlling my typing hands right now, I am Willing following him. I have also DECIDED to love him. I have the choice to decide whether to sin or not, every moment of my life.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Not all Christians believe this, but I believe in unconditional election. Did you ever wonder why GOD loved Jacob, but He HATED Esau? I thought Jacob was a rat, and Esau seemed to be a good person. There was a reason for it, but I couldn't quite understand it. I understand now that there was a reason why He did, and I can't question it. It just is.

In the end it doesn't really bother me either way.

I don't believe or disbelieve. I'm not gonna spend my life worrying whether or not anything I may or may not do could in the end some how damn me in the eyes of someone who may or may not exist. In the end if there is one, then we'll see if those choices were good enough for him or not. Till then I'm just gonna live the way I want, I don't need the threat of some omnipresence being to help me decide whats right or wrong. I just live my life by my own code.

heart

heart on fire
I didn't say it was any more of an obstacle to logicians. I only said that is is an obstacle.

IMO it is worse, but I can't really measure that. I mean, I could count the number of poorly designed logical fallacies in the bible and compare it to that in the torah, but it's really important which ones are worse.

What matters is that they do inhibit rationality..

I was making a general observation, not meaning it to be directed specially at you or I would have quoted you. I just hear this argument a lot that somehow following Buddhism or Hinduism or some other religion makes one more intellectual than being Christian and I think the idea has ground to stand on.