• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Loving God?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was making a general observation, not meaning it to be directed specially at you or I would have quoted you. I just hear this argument a lot that somehow following Buddhism or Hinduism or some other religion makes one more intellectual than being Christian and I think the idea has ground to stand on.

????

Uh well... you did quote me but that's not the point, and I didn't take it personally.

You're possibly right; Christianity might not be any less logical than any other popular religion. It's still got its issues, and we have to take that into account -- just because it's a common argument doesn't mean it's not true y'know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it probably depends on the belief in question.

I think a religion that tries to anchor in many truths and tell you what the "right answer" to specific questions is very stultifying to one's intellectual development.

Buddhism is more a set of general principles by which to live and a way to view the world, but I don't think it tries to tell people what to do in specific situations. It lets people apply the concepts themselves.

Christianity has the POTENTIAL for that... but it also (due to the extensive amount of material in the Bible) can and is used to encourage people not to think and just to accept particular responses to many areas of life. Christians in fact spend much of their time arguing with each other about what the "right exact response" in a specific situation should have been and why their view is the right one. I suppose Islam could fit into that category as well...

Some of the other faiths seem to offer a lens through which to view the world without trying to dictate SO much of an individual's behavior. Hinduism itself is a collection of many different beliefs, not just a standardized set.

And faith systems that place more emphasis on the will/choice of the adherent will encourage more thinking hopefully (or else, negatively, result in more self-indulgence).

[Nipples]Assembly line style production. Proof there is no personal God.

I don't see it as "proof" but it is definitely one thing that tells me that some form of evolution was involved in the development of human beings whether God was involved or not. There seems to be many vestiges or inefficiencies in the human body that are suggestive of an evolutionary process rather than a "by design" one.

(Another is the human eye, which flips images upside-down and has to 'right' them in the brain, and actually has the optic nerve wired in BACKWARDS, running into the eye not out of it....it makes no sense if it was designed by a perfect God. And there are a few species on different trees where the eye is wired "correctly"... suggesting parallel development and the differences happened according to chance.)

Those inefficiencies are clues because they are very typical of an evolutionary process and not typical of a design one... unless the designer is more incompetent than the typical human engineer.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
????

Uh well... you did quote me but that's not the point, and I didn't take it personally.

You're possibly right; Christianity might not be any less logical than any other popular religion. It's still got its issues, and we have to take that into account -- just because it's a common argument doesn't mean it's not true y'know?
Christianity became a world religion because it got the foothold in Rome.
The magistrate of Rome was in the hands of the Greek slaves.

The Jews were governed by an intellectual elite. A tradition of long standing.
The intellectuals made the peace with Rome.
Rome accepted the diversity of faith.
Only Octavian did not.
In the Roman tradition, Octavian was the son of God.

Jesus was mistaken as a political rebel.
Because of his words:
Give to Caesar what is to Caesar.. and to God what is to God.

Did the followers give to Caesar what is to Caesar?
And to God what is to God?

What is the foundation of a dogma?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah that makes sense. What matters is what we do with the faith, if you choose to have one, and any who afford more to the individual are more likely to allow for intellectualism. Obviously...

This seems to be a frequented point; a crusade of your own?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Christianity became a world religion because it got the foothold in Rome.
The magistrate of Rome was in the hands of the Greek slaves.

The Jews were governed by an intellectual elite. A tradition of long standing.
The intellectuals made the peace with Rome.
Rome accepted the diversity of faith.
Only Octavian did not.
In the Roman tradition, Octavian was the son of God.

Jesus was mistaken as a political rebel.
Because of his words:
Give to Caesar what is to Caesar.. and to God what is to God.

Did the followers give to Caesar what is to Caesar?
Well... they hung christ and they stabbed caesar, so... I guess execution is customary for proposed religious figures.
And to God what is to God?

What is the foundation of a dogma?

Are you asking me?
I've heard and considered that control is a good explanation for dogma. For others, religion, particularly god was used as a scapegoat, and a remedy.
My thoughts are that it stems from arrogance -- whether god loves us or hates us, he's paying attention to us (according to any holy work I know of), watching us, making sure we don't fuck up. Why?
I think people made it up. Makes them feel important. It's the same reason we're so convinced that we're going to be the end of the earth. Right now our big thing is global warming. Cultured humans especially are absolutely convinced that they're going to be the ones who destroy the planet. Doesn't that make us feel powerful?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...This seems to be a frequented point; a crusade of your own?

Probably not a crusade (I don't usually try to initiate the conversation), but I've spent my entire life battling my way OUT of that stilted framework... so the problems with it are very real to me and all on the surface.

I've had to think about it alot, it's one of my large "life issues."

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Probably not a crusade (I don't usually try to initiate the conversation),
Ha, true enough. Though, plenty of the arguments I engage in start from conversations I don't start either. I'm guessing this isn't always the case for you.

but I've spent my entire life battling my way OUT of that stilted framework... so the problems with it are very real to me and all on the surface.

I've had to think about it alot, it's one of my large "life issues."

heart

heart on fire
????

Yes, I did quote you. Sorry. I should not post late at night. :blush:

I think all the religions have problems....;)

unsung truth

I think all the religions have problems....;)

people in general have problems, we can use various institutions and reasoning for good as well as bad. Unfortunately some people are ignorant and take religion at face value or they become manipulated by another's ideas.

btw im Catholic, ive read up a bit on Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroasterism, so no im not an 'ignorant' christian who accepts beliefs and doesn't want to think about them. I constantly challenge my own beliefs with other religions, other people's perspectives, science, history, everything.

My belief on this topic:

We are an extension of God (this is a combination of Buddhism and the major monotheistic religions of the west), We were created by God and so we are made of him, it is even said in the bible that man was created in God's image. So as to the question of whether or not we have a loving God: we do, because he endowed us with the free will to make our own happiness. God isn't some guy with a wispy beard sitting on a golden throne up in the clouds, He is the spirit within you!!! Don't rely on other sources for happiness; live your life in love and understanding and reveal the spirit of God which lies within you. :heart:

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
uh you can't have the spirit of God within you if you dont first believe in Jesus, and then ask for it into your life.

i remember my heart thumping really fast when I took the guts to go to church, (there were so many people, and I felt really timid. I kept looking around and seeing people jumping around and I didn't know what to do. I felt awfully stupid) when they asked for those who wanted to believe in Jesus to go forth to get prayed for.

But there was so much pride in me, the pride of myself being strong - I can stand alone in life, the pride of being a "logical and rational" person. When I was a kid my father hit me when I cried, because he said tears are a sign of weakness.

I could feel this great joy - and hence I believed. Even then, I was struggling, for one minute I felt despair, to think that perhaps this joy would be wrenched away and I would discover all was a lie, and then the other minute I would feel like there is a powerful force of goodness which nothing in the world could win.

But then I had spent a long time thinking about the world. And I could see that my father, a rich and well esteemed lawyer, was working, indeed, to pass the time. He did not know what he wanted to do when he was retired. He had not thought about it! He cut out newspaper and magazine articles of himself, and that was his life trophy. I'll help you keep those I told Dad. That, was what made him feel good about himself. That I, at least, and a few generations more, would remember him.

When I say I believe in Jesus, it means I believe in him enough to put his word into practice. But I struggle to keep my faith up all the time. When I first told friends who were not Christian I was one, I was laughed at and back then, it hurt. I went home and cried at home to God, who I blamed for not answering my prayers.

One day, I open my bible and read Psalms. And it intrigued me that King David, who had killed Goliath, wrote many songs blaming God for not helping him either! But surely his faith was much greater than mine.

Psalm 22: He wrote "But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people. All who see me mock me, they hurl insults, shaking their heads. He trusts in the Lord, let the Lord rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him".

And so this happened to me. My parents asked me all the time: So where's your God? When did he deliver you in your time of trouble and need? See? You have lost your housekeys. Go ask him to find it for you.

But it was holding on to my bible that changed things for me. I used to shout at my parents and quarrel with them physically. It sure was difficult, but I could remember "honour your parents" so I tried to do that. So I didn't refute.

Yet by and by, as I grew in the Lord more, I became more and more patient with people as I tried and tried to put his word into practice.

I began to understand most of the time, the motives for doing something is usually not because the person was born nasty, but because circumstances shaped them to be that way. A man does not curse and swear all the time because he wants to, but because he feels that way inside. Plus, I myself used to swear all the time I felt unhappy. How can I blame someone else for being rude.

And so learning to be patient with people also made me patient with my surroundings. So whenever something bad happens, gradually, I can actually smile, thinking "Praise the Lord, here's a problem. A chance for me to trust God to pull me out of it." God may not act quickly, but I understand that it is the process which changes and shapes me. And when you're patient with everything, nothing hassles you. You become the one happy person whistling in the car during the traffic jam.

Then there was the pride I still try to give up. I am so proud of so many things. My looks, being rich etc. "Do no fear men, who have but one breath in their nostrils". So I chose to trust in how God sees me, and in trusting in that I believe he created me, and so he would like me to excel and do great things. Even giving up little temptations about me - such as eating too much chocolate at one go, I prayed for discipline so he would aid me. Learning discipline on small things led to bigger, things.

Pride, oh pride. It began at church. I did mention in my blog that when people were getting slain in the spirit, most people were called up by God. But I climbed over an aisle of seats and RAN to the speaker. I was on TV! How very embarassing! That was how much I wanted that touch from God.

Yet there is so much strength in not fearing what anyone thinks of you. In days I feel down, I don't cry anymore. I take up guitar and sing him praise, to thank him for being there through thick and thin during all this times of testing. As time has passed, I have had more and more testimonies of God being there to aid me through difficult times. I prayed for the gift of tongues, received it, and praying in the spirit has always helped me to learn new thoughts, new wisdom to carry me through difficult circumstances.

Once, there was a crazy woman who got up and danced before speaker Chris Hill. Then she ran up to the front, and danced before stage! And then her wig began to fall on the ground! Oh no! Even funnier, she picked it up and started waving it around!

The speaker stopped the sermon and asked the lady: are you alright? The lady said: Well... I've had cancer for so long, but just now, I felt a fire in my veins, I felt God's touch and I knew that I was healed! So I got up and danced and danced! My wig fell off and I was embarassed.. but then I remembered I wouldn't be needing it anymore so I started waving it around...

unsung truth

It is your type of thinking which is used for propaganda in religious wars.

you dont need Jesus to do good and have the spirit of God....
all religions, are paths which have the same destination in mind.

Even someone who doesn't believe in a God or a religion can have a good life and afterlife.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
yes but I have found no other religion that can describe that "blanket of love and peace", that is God's presence, that I have felt. Take despair, fear, anxiety, mix it together, and imagine the opposite of it. God's presence is void of those.

I mentioned that my parents are Buddhist, so they believe in Nirvana which means nothing-ness.

In the Quran, Surah 46:9, Mohammed says "I do not know the way to heaven". Mohammed said you have to try to work your way into heaven, but if you're working your way the reason would be to save yourself, not because you love God? But..Jesus died to make a way to heaven. Though the Quran mentions Jesus, it is clear Mohammed did not believe in Jesus. However, I do.

it was my faith that he will walk this life with me and give me a place in eternity that gives me the joy, and then the strength to want to excel in life. I would rather be lying on the grass all day then running without a good purpose

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It is your type of thinking which is used for propaganda in religious wars..

Just make sure you speak passionately and with bombast, dont worry about what you're actually saying. People buy you, not what you preach.

all religions, are paths which have the same destination in mind..

It has nothing to do with the afterlife or path for eternal bliss. My ENFP friend used to be a preacher. He had all sorts of flamboyant ways to beat his point across into the heads of his guileless audience. Yet, in the end, the message remained the same. Believebelievebelieve!

I once said that a good preacher shows his pedigree when he has his audience believing him without knowing what the heck he is actually saying. Could not have been any more true of him.

Even someone who doesn't believe in a God or a religion can have a good life and afterlife.

God, Jesus, afterlife? Remind me what century we live in.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It is your type of thinking which is used for propaganda in religious wars.

all religions, are paths which have the same destination in mind.

I admit that I have not read all of hungypossum's posts, but I didn't see anything in the last post about attacking people who do not believe the way she does.

It sounds like she believes in being patient and kind with other people regardless of what they believe, even when they make fun of her for her beliefs.

Her belief that one must believe in Jesus to have the spirit of God is a basic teaching of the New Testament. AFAIK, the New Testament does not advocate the use of violence against unbelievers by believers, quite the contrary.

Beliefs of every kind have been used to propagate violence, usually by corrupt political powers. That does not mean every belief system that has been misused in that way is nothing more than a tool of violence or that all people who hold those beliefs are dangerous, violent people.

Your beliefs are more universalist in nature. Her beliefs are more traditionally Christian. Can you really believe that every person who believes that spiritual salvation is found only on a specific path (the one they follow) are murderous crusaders at heart, if not in deed?

unsung truth

o nonono, i wasn't attacking her, and having one specific path is great; I was simply pointing out that you don't necessarily need to believe in Jesus to have a happy life.

The part about destructive thinking was in reference to religious wars
i.e. Christians say that Muslims don't believe in Jesus hence they won't find salvation... then they're reasoning takes a bad turn and they decide that if they won't find salvation then they're lives are worthless, or that they are lesser than they are. (which is completely contrary to the Bible)

Sorry if it came off as attack :doh: I meant to speak in general about that thought, not that it has necessarily made you negative and intolerant, but that it has made others that way.

unsung truth

Just make sure you speak passionately and with bombast, dont worry about what you're actually saying. People buy you, not what you preach.

It has nothing to do with the afterlife or path for eternal bliss. My ENFP friend used to be a preacher. He had all sorts of flamboyant ways to beat his point across into the heads of his guileless audience. Yet, in the end, the message remained the same. Believebelievebelieve!

I once said that a good preacher shows his pedigree when he has his audience believing him without knowing what the heck he is actually saying. Could not have been any more true of him.

God, Jesus, afterlife? Remind me what century we live in.

why so cynical?
What you believe in shapes your actions to a certain degree.
Your friend has a good point, and that's the problem with many "religious people" they follow blindly and fear having their ideas challenged, whereas we should embrace the shifts in ideology as long as we have thought the ideas through.

we are living in the 21st century and there are over 85% of people who are religious in the world. The other 15% have their own ideas/philosophies which they believe in, so don't disregard God, Jesus, the afterlife and things which may appear supernatural to you, because the end of consciousness can be described as absurd as well.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
The part about destructive thinking was in reference to religious wars
i.e. Christians say that Muslims don't believe in Jesus hence they won't find salvation... then they're reasoning takes a bad turn and they decide that if they won't find salvation then they're lives are worthless, or that they are lesser than they are. (which is completely contrary to the Bible)

You're right, its not what God would want at all. Anyone who calls themself a Christian would follow what Jesus says.

Disobedience from God is so easy. If we hear him tell us to do something, but we don't do it, there's an eternal rippling effect from it. Just consider it, its interesting. Lets say I was supposed to study today, and I know I was supposed to because the bible preaches diligence, but I play World of Warcraft. The next day, the teacher gives us a surprise test and I fail it. That is why just one simple action, like taking a fruit from a tree can result in so much chaos. Yet again, we were given a choice whether to or not. Hence, I have come to believe and trust God and TRY to obey him at all times.

sassafrassquatch

we are living in the 21st century and there are over 85% of people who are religious in the world. The other 15% have their own ideas/philosophies which they believe in,

Is that argumentum ad populum? It looks like argumentum ad populum.

so don't disregard God, Jesus, the afterlife and things which may appear supernatural to you,

Should we also not disregard Zeus, Apollo, Thor and Odin? How about Quetzalcoatl? Is he "real"?

because the end of consciousness can be described as absurd as well.

What does that mean?