User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 335

Thread: Loving God?

  1. #31

    Default

    But yea, look at what you guys wrote. You complain you dont see God there, but you say that he caused all the suffering. The human suffering How about you dont know him = human suffering

    Surely everything is gonna be shit unless you know that this life is meant for you to grow. If not, you're highly likely to roll into a spiky ball of emo. I remember my friend saying "I believe I am God" and I said "wow, that's lonely". Poor guy, he had broken up his girlfriend shortly before I met up with him and he was like @_@ to that

    And if I were God and my seamonkey said he wanted to rape me, I sure as heck would put him...far far far far far far far...away

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hungrypossum View Post
    But yea, look at what you guys wrote. You complain you dont see God there, but you say that he caused all the suffering. The human suffering How about you dont know him = human suffering

    Surely everything is gonna be shit unless you know that this life is meant for you to grow. If not, you're highly likely to roll into a spiky ball of emo. I remember my friend saying "I believe I am God" and I said "wow, that's lonely". Poor guy, he had broken up his girlfriend shortly before I met up with him and he was like @_@ to that

    And if I were God and my seamonkey said he wanted to rape me, I sure as heck would put him...far far far far far far far...away
    So the Jews were slaughtered by the Nazis because they didn't know God? The Tutsis were hacked to death by the Hutus because they didn't know God? I assume the people who drowned in the 2004 tsunami didn't know God either?

  3. #33

    Default

    Yes yes Tsunami and natural disasters. God must HATE US! Ok, this is VERY hard for me to explain cos right now, your human body and everything around you is probably important. Since you don't know whats gonna happen to you after death, you're gonna assume that what you can grasp and hold right now is more important to you than anything else.

    About the Jews, the Nazis and the Tutis: I have no doubt that some are Christians. But as I mentioned about Sodom and Gomorrah, its not like Christians dont die too. Paul in the bible was crucified, you can check wikipedia, its really interesting to see that all the disciples except John died horrible deaths.

    I, along with everyone else, has asked why God allows this to happen. The conclusion would be that the one who gave us life hates our guts but er...why would he make me to suffer? My conclusion, as I have written earlier, is that God is not so much concerned with the condition of our flesh as with the condition of our soul. While all a human being may be able to see before us is our flesh.

    King David wrote in Psalms "My strength, and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion, forever." If you've watched the movie 300, you'd have seen so many men charging bravely in battle to their deaths - the cause is to kill one another and win! Well, I had no cause in life and my cause in life was to drink myself silly because I seriously did not see the point of following my parent's will and doing my degree. Sure I'm rich, young, good looking (even if you don't think so I think so! ) have a cute boyfriend (this was last year) ..... man I'm sick of it all I thought. Whenever I'm doing something now dedicated to God, I can feel that kinda fire and passion you get for living for a great cause.

    So doing everything for God and trusting in building up for eternity sure works. It's written that "the joy of the Lord is my strength". I would so rather die for a good cause, then die a silly one like taking drugs in my bed. Some die for fame, but everyone in the world's gonna die so who's gonna remember you huh.

    God, in fact, said our human lives are like a "breath through the nostrils". Indeed, the earth looks old and long to us. But if he's older than that and if I'm gonna be with him for all eternity.. oh man!

    Yea, you can look everywhere in the world to find your joy.. hope you're still young. Go find it. If its beer, women or money. But it cant always be with you and you get tired. But I gotta say my joy lives with me. I can have nothing in my hands and I'm happy. Call me crazy or call it that I'm smoking God-weed, it's a 24/7 spiritual high BABY! Always talking to myself? COOL! never lonely. When I'm studying, it aint no drag, my best friend is with me. When my car is stuck in the wilderness and no one there, cool, my best friend with me. When i'm gonna die i'm gonna be smiling. Thats strength!

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default


  5. #35
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    lol...

  6. #36
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I'm relieved, at least, that we can see their hands.
    (ALL of them... except for that one hidden to the right...!)

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yes, I am sorry, I should have remembered. All that we know is pain is bad, pleasure is good. We have to rewire our nature to like pain.

    We certainly dont understand how rape, plunder, floods are a good thing, but we just have to believe they are. They show us white, and we have to scream 'its BLACK!'.

    (blah blah Kant & co blah blah
    Actually, I was just saying you don't have a framework by which to be sure of your judgment. That's all.

    I'm not sure why you're resorting to what passes in these parts for intellectual histrionics.

    (although, if it was pure sarcasm, I suppose it was sort of cute )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Why do humans feel compelled to worship and show admiration towards god?
    Well we aren't 'compelled'. Worshipping God is a sign of Freedom.
    ENTJ - LII - Intimate Five

    +++ PRAISE CHRIST +++ - don't be afraid : seek and defend the Truth with boldness.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    "...I'm sure that the experiment is for our own good, but that still makes God the vivisectionist..."
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    So the Jews were slaughtered by the Nazis because they didn't know God? The Tutsis were hacked to death by the Hutus because they didn't know God? I assume the people who drowned in the 2004 tsunami didn't know God either?

    You are so enthralled in making a counter example that you aren't thinking through what you're saying. God does not protect you from suffering and pain in your direct sense. He works indirectly through our ability to live through both good and bad and LEARN from it.

    If you say the world is so horrible and thus God is not loving then what is your solution? What kind of world would you create? A world where everyone is happy? Happiness is subjective and what may be happiness for you may not be happiness for others. And even if you were to make everyone happy then what would be the point of life? There would be nothing to pursue, no dreams, no needs, no gratifying work; sounds like a fate worse than death.

    And Rather than continually denying God and taking on this horribly pessimistic view of the world, why don't you look at all of the examples of love in the world; of Mother Teresa, Ghandi, the Dalai Lama, of the people around you and of any moment when you are happy.
    INFJ, 2w1

    "I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. " - Khalil Gibran

  10. #40
    Member Ojian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    That was so funny I squirt my drink

    I think a lot of ones view depends on their perspective. Since this discussion seems to primarily be referring to the God described in the Bible, that will be where I'm drawing from.

    The NT refers to the Devil being the one currently pulling the strings, calling him the 'god' and 'ruler' of this world, and ultimately is the one responsible for the crap existence many have to deal with, though the stupid actions of people bear a lot of the responsibility too. When you throw 'free will' into the equation, God could just be allowing things to degrade to make the point that choosing to do things the Devils/human way doesn't lead to success.

    And if you look at the bigger picture to understand that it won't always be like this and at some point God will step in to fix the problem, over the course of time this bad period of human history will be a mere 'blip' on the whole.

    Ya, it sucks to be having to live in the middle of the crap-phase, but overall it will turn out for the better. To illustrate, it is like a parent letting a child go thru a painful operation, knowing that it will hurt and the recovery will also be difficult, but the end result will be a living and healthy kid.

Similar Threads

  1. Experiencing God's Love
    By Lily flower in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
  2. why doesn't God love me?
    By miss fortune in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
  3. About the thread "Loving God"
    By hungrypossum in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO