First 142223242526 Last

Thread: Loving God?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Okay, now ya lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by unsung truth View Post
    fatal flaws in that logic: God created universe under laws of physics, hence it would break the laws for him to just pop in front of you...that would be pretty damn hypocritical
    Should he take the motherfucking elevator instead?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Too bad the time line in Genesis is a crock. *Wanders off to the museum to look at the Dinosaurs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

IM NOT CANTONESE! (i think u were trying to say something that sounded cantonese)

Then i didnt make my point clear its not like heterosexuals love one another any better, look at war and how everyone is trying to poke each others eyeball out!

and oh oh oh, RESIDENT EVIL 4! MWAHAHAHA! I'm obsessed with it

MBTI
    ENTP

Because Sassa, it would defeat the point. It would take away most of the benefits. Points and benefits you can never understand or experience until you get there. And if you're absolutely firmly decided on the pointlessness of doing that, and on your refusal to do that, then why not just get on with your life? Why rant and go on about it?

Honestly, many people in this thread have gone to a lot of effort to meet you more than half way, and you just have no intention of budging an inch or even moving from your armchair.

You remind me very much of a friend of mine who doesn't see any validity in the concept of 'no pain, no gain', and has gone so far through 45 years of life, demanding that the best secrets, experiences and joys of the universe land on his plate, gratis - to no avail. So far, the universe seems to have been strangely unaccommodating.

At least half of the benefits of spirituality are gained/realized through the process of a journey of faith. And the other half are intensified and magnified tenfold when placed in experiential context with the others. There is nothing 'mysterious' in that. There is nothing nebulous or mysterious about saying that there are some things you can only know from experience, and the most vital experience that enables you to know and understand faith, is the process. The journey. If you had a kid and loved that kid more than anything, you wouldn't expect someone who had no kids to fully comprehend the level of bonding and love you felt for your kid. So I don't expect someone who refuses to even begin on that journey to fully understand the benefits I gain from having gone along it as far as I have.

You have the potential to be greater... the level that you claim to be at is not what you can be, maybe if you pursued expanding your intuition or thinking about these subjects from a different perspective you may realize what we mean.
    Yeah that's what I was gonna say, too. But my best friend is an ISTJ and it never seems to move him either, the idea that any benefit can be gained from changing anything, even just his vantage point... haha... no! If he can't see something, then that thing should move closer to him, dammit!

I find it an extremely challenging and alien worldview, in which he sees no benefit in refocusing and has no apparent desire to grow; he doesn't seem to think he either can or should ever become more than he is now. That seems kinda diametrically opposite to my worldview, so it's hard for me to know where to begin dialogue with it.

And he also seems to see it as some sort of clever rebellious move, an assertion of independence. It seems so funny, like he's standing there in the doctor's room folding his arms and refusing to take his medicine because he won't trust the doctor that it doesn't taste bad... and he's thinking he's so smart because the doctor can't make him take it... he really doesn't see that the only one that benefits or loses out from the taking or non-taking, is himself!!

It seems to me such a sorta 'cut off your nose to spite your face' manoeuvre, to comical proportions... haha...

Sassa - If you wanna see something, you've gotta go to where it is. If you won't do that, and the 'mountain' ain't gonna come to you (since I don't think you're in any position to give orders to God), then just stop whining and expecting the people who've seen it to somehow transplant a solely experiential knowledge into your head by words alone, stop blaming them and the thing you can't see for your inability to see it, and get on with your life in atheistic bliss, secure in the knowledge that you put one over on that stupid bearded bastard up in the sky and all his stupid, mindless little robots.

btw substitute i really liked your post
    Thanks! I try... nice to know it's not entirely unappreciated!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

i think we all get that the bible cant be taken literally... (ive mentioned that b4), its more about the metaphors and the meanings behind the stories (IMO).

elevator? i dont think you're even taking yourself seriously right now...
    I think you said in a previous post that you're ST and you need something concrete, yet you insist on some supernatural occurrences so that you may see God which would defy your senses in terms of the laws of physics and the reality around us. Perhaps a better approach would be exploring the connections between philosophy, the natural sciences and your personal thoughts/feelings.

I was just reminded of a program I saw on tv talking about the creation of the universe. It essentially outlined the big bang theory, saying that Einstein's theories lead to the conclusion that there was a beginning to the universe, and that it was most likely a condensed ball of super-heated mass. The four fundamental forces were (weak, strong, gravitational, and electro-magnetic) were theoretically one force until they split apart when the ball started expanding. Then as the particles began to cool they started assembling into neutrons, protons, electrons, then atoms (basic elements; hydrogen and helium). Those elements coalesced into stars which established fusion to create the other elements.

Then various stars collapsed/exploded, those particles then coalesced into planets and new stars. Out of all these systems, one planet around one star created sustained, intelligent life. Then when it finished one of the scientists said that, understanding where we come from and that we are so closely related despite all of the factions we create between us, now that is something truly special.

For me, to think that all of these events occurred spontaneously out of nothingness seems extraneous, I think that there mustve been some sort of force that started this process; be it God, some form of energy, nature, I don't know for sure in any tangible sense, but I am grateful for it.
    INFJ, 2w1

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. " - Khalil Gibran

MBTI
    ENTP

Nice post unsung... I was just also gonna add that I've never been a "Bible Christian", and that my faith and love of God has pretty much come independently of any Bible stuff. Much later in my journey of faith I began to appreciate the Gospels more and look into their deeper meanings and mysteries, and found it very rewarding to unravel them piece by piece, always something else to learn... but by the time I got to that point I already had half a lifetime of journey under my belt, during which a love of God was developed within me that had nothing to do with decoding mysterious Bible passages. Like I say, I only began to take the Bible even vaguely seriously quite recently.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

DINOSAURS I LOVE EM! And i love playing Jurassic Park Sims! it mentions God made beasts but not what kind.

it says that a 1000 days to men is like 1 day to God in the bible! So God took 7 days to make the earth. It doesnt say if its dog days, human days, God days.

For me, to think that all of these events occurred spontaneously out of nothingness seems extraneous, I think that there mustve been some sort of force that started this process; be it God, some form of energy, nature, I don't know for sure in any tangible sense, but I am grateful for it.
    These days, many (perhaps most?) theoretical physicists (at least the M-theory advocates) attribute the cause of the big bang to the enormous release of energy from the collision of two membranes holding parallel universes.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

umm here might be a good place to start:
    Stephen Hawking, The Big Bang, and God

Amazon.com: The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore: Books: Deepak Chopra
    -havent read this, but it seems good

maybe research a bit into the different religions, don't always take the concrete view that is established by the writer, taking a different perspective on what is stated can create great ideas.

As for the the universe membranes colliding... I haven't heard about that, but seems interesting. Still doesn't disprove God, might prove it even more so considering the membranes had to be established somehow. All we understand seems to be within the realm of physics, now that begs the question: what created physics?
    INFJ, 2w1

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. " - Khalil Gibran