User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Thread: Loving God?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Two people can hold totally contradictory beliefs and still call themselves Christians. That seems a bit odd to me.
    I think that is the way it is with every religion. I believe spirituality has to come from within you, as an individual, as an expression of hope and faith. Because ultimately what matters isn't what you believe but how you lead your life. Your values, ethics, morals, and conception of God should probably just be the beliefs that make you happy and provide you with an idea of where of who you want to be in this life. After all, we only get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not sure I agree with that Kiddo... I'd say that for most people, how they live their lives is a direct consequence of their values, ethics, morals and beliefs. The external behaviour - how you live your life - is the manifestation of what's within you.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think he was saying simply that many of the details of theology are not as important as one's behavior. Many of the Christian sects obviously disagree on theological truth... but ultimately their faith is expressed through actions, even if they can't agree on specifics of theology.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I think that is the way it is with every religion. I believe spirituality has to come from within you, as an individual, as an expression of hope and faith. Because ultimately what matters isn't what you believe but how you lead your life. Your values, ethics, morals, and conception of God should probably just be the beliefs that make you happy and provide you with an idea of where of who you want to be in this life. After all, we only get one.
    Wait, so you don't believe in an actual God that actually exists? Religion is just some kind of self help program?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think he was saying simply that many of the details of theology are not as important as one's behavior. Many of the Christian sects obviously disagree on theological truth... but ultimately their faith is expressed through actions, even if they can't agree on specifics of theology.
    Yeah. Life isn't what you believe, but how you choose to practice what you do believe. Christianity is about values of forgiveness, such as not judging others for their sins. You know, that whole "Judge not ye be Judged" and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." And yet you have Christians who judge others for their sins. Of course, they often justify it by saying something like, "Oh, the Bible says it is a sin, therefore I can tell people who practice that sin that they aren't living as God intended." But really, they are just giving into their own judgement. They are bad Christians because they claim to uphold the values of Christianity, but they don't practice them. For example, Fred Phelps...

There were two things I loved about Jesus's teachings...

1. Treat the poor well because they are God's chosen people
    2. A man's sin is only between him and God.

But of course, those are the teachings that seem to be the most often ignored. A point you have made many times, right Jennifer?

MBTI
    OMNi

Wait, so you don't believe in an actual God that actually exists? Religion is just some kind of self help program?
    No, I believe in God. But I don't believe it is necessary to believe in God to get the same fulfillment. As I have said before. I believe there are many paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    No, I believe in God. But I don't believe it is necessary to believe in God to get the same fulfillment. As I have said before. I believe there are many paths.
    That's what I keep asking about, you say there are many paths to God, others say their religion is The_One_True_Path with endless division within religions over what that path really is.

How am I, as a hypothetical seeker, supposed to know who is right? Because from what I can tell religious beliefs are just opinions with nothing backing them up.

Look at my type. I'm an ISTJ 6w5, I need concrete, tangible things and certainty. Fuzzy little feelings and intuition don't work for me. If there is a God with some great truth or whatever I don't think it's right that I and others like me should be kept in the dark because of our personalities. It sounds like God only speaks in ways that appeal to NFs.

MBTI
    ENTP

Sass, it would appear Kiddo's saying (and I agree) that "by their fruits shall ye recognize them". So just step back and see, look at the results of their beliefs, what behaviour they 'spawn', and you'll probably find it's pretty easy to tell the people who've left the path...

To quote Gandalf (heheh): "to break a thing in order to understand it is to leave the path of wisdom"

IMO the ones who are most vocal about what people should believe and think and how they should behave... well, they're putting their energy into the wrong thing. The ones who are pretty quiet and subtle about their faith and only talk about it when asked, in a Q&A format rather than proselytizing; the people who are easy to get along with, accepting and non-judgemental, helpful (but not interfering/busybodying - they're not doing it for themselves, see?), peaceful, joyful, humble and gentle - well, those will be the ones you can learn from. The ones who teach without even knowing they're giving a lesson. They're putting their energy into the right thing: doing their best to ensure that they behave right.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    OMNi

That's what I keep asking about, you say there are many paths to God, others say their religion is The_One_True_Path with endless division within religions over what that path really is.

How am I, as a hypothetical seeker, supposed to know who is right? Because from what I can tell religious beliefs are just opinions with nothing backing them up.

Look at my type. I'm an ISTJ 6w5, I need concrete, tangible things and certainty. Fuzzy little feelings and intuition don't work for me. If there is a God with some great truth or whatever I don't think it's right that I and others like me should be kept in the dark because of our personalities. It sounds like God only speaks in ways that appeal to NFs.
    I can see you perspective. You need some tangible benefits to spirituality.

1. It is proven that people who have spirituality on average have better physical and mental health than those who don't.
    2. Spirituality is a socializing agent, which means it brings people together and gets them to work in a way that is ideal for cooperation.
    3, People with spirituality can better cope with stressful and traumatic experiences.
    4. Spiritualities provide a set of values, by which people can base their moral and ethical beliefs.

There is nothing wrong with picking a spirituality just so you can enjoy the benefits. As I said, it doesn't matter what you believe, only how you practice those beliefs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    To quote Gandalf (heheh): "to break a thing in order to understand it is to leave the path of wisdom"
    I dunno.. I break a lot of stuff in an attempt to figure it out. Then once I do, I fix it and put it back together. From then on I know what needs to be done. That's just the way I'm programmed to learn. I read a lot, but 70% of it I don't retain, yet I retain almost 100% of what I learn by doing.

If you live your life always holding back to what you think are the limits, you're limiting your true potential. Only once you pass the breaking point will you ever be able to truly say you're doing everything as good as you can, since you now know your true limits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.