User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

Thread: Loving God?

im going out and i'll be back tomorrow just pm me if u have any other questions

MBTI
    ISTx

Any sexual/physically romantic act is lustful. Don't you think?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I live in the Bible Belt and I was once told by a Baptist neighbor of mine that my Husband was going to Hell because he's not religious. Nice...Another time while having a discussion with her I brought up the topic of evolution and she freakishly started screaming in protest. I responded by telling her that we were leaving her home and that I wasn't going to have her behave irrationally around my children. She apologized but only so that the lines of communication between us would remain open as she was trying to convert us. No matter what was said to her, she would always respond by saying that she would pray about it. No thoughts or opinions of her own. I've often wondered how a person gets to that point in their lives that they no longer think for themselves? Sad.

I also hate when the first words out of someones mouth are "What Church do you go to?" Each time I hear this I know I need to get moving as the level of conversation will likely be mind numbing. I don't appreciate this or being told how I should live my life. I have better morals than many of the church goers living among us. Hypocrites. :rolli:
    Time is a delicate mistress.

God made sex, and he definitely made it pleasurable so we'll enjoy it. Adam and Eve walked about naked once, that was God's original plan for men, that there be no shame in our nudity. However, when Adam and Eve took the knowledge of good and evil, God knew that men would see one another perversely. Lust would make things unsafe, and hence he told them to put on clothes of "animal skin" (Adam was covering himself with leaves at first!) Then he advised saving sex for the one we love:

It says this in Proverbs:

"Drink water from your own cistern (a cistern is a drain f.y.i), running water from your own well. Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares? Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers. May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer - may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love."

I live in the Bible Belt and I was once told by a Baptist neighbor of mine that my Husband was going to Hell because he's not religious.
    You can tell the lady you know that: Thessalonians 4:11 was where Paul gave advice to the Christians "...to seek earnestly to be quiet and mind your own affairs, and work with your own hands, even as we charged you".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by hungrypossum View Post
    YEP! ^^ The fact that I am treading the difficult path is what makes me a stronger person. If you're not afraid of difficulty or even death, then what make you worried fearful or sad anymore. Told ya Jesus is joy.
    I think the comment you quoted was referring to homosexuals, not Christians. I suppose you could still apply it to yourself, but that was missing the point the poster was trying to make (i.e., that homosexuals and others in similar situations wouldn't just choose something that brought with it a lot of rejection and condemnation and hardship from society, just out of lust or something similar).

In knowing God, the most important thing I learnt, is that I'm only 21 years old. Not very wise, not clever, quite a ditz, ignorant of everything. So I don't trust my own wisdom. I choose to trust the bible.
    Actually, that's still your choice. You are trusting your own wisdom to tell you that the Bible can be trusted, and you are trusting other people (certain select groups of adults) to tell you that the Bible can be trusted... all in the way they say.

An authority cannot force anyone to do anything unless the person chooses to view them as an authority. The Bible has no power over you unless you choose to believe [a particular interpretation of] it.

So you are still listening to yourself, in deciding that you will abdicate your flex and power of choice in a situation to simply follow your perception of someone else's morality. You have decided to "rubber stamp" the Bible according to your own wisdom.

I trust that God annoints men to do his work. Though I'm a real clown, here I am speaking for him.
    That remains to be seen. I wouldn't deign to tell people that I "speak for God." And even if you firmly believe it, it's very bad discussion style to align yourself (and not others) as the mouthpiece of God.

Like you said, you're 21. That's pretty audacious to tell many other people that you have a better handle on life when you haven't even experienced half of what they have yet... and when many of them have also stood in your exact same shoes before.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by hungrypossum View Post
    im going out and i'll be back tomorrow just pm me if u have any other questions
    I find your take on homosexuals to be exceedingly primitive and less about your "religious" personality than a clear attempt to use religion to disguise bigotry.

Your broad condemnation of billions suggests an equally profound ignorance of Christianity. To this end, I'd warn others that your impressions do not speak for Christianity (even on a basic level) and merely serve to underline the need for intellectual jurisprudence when it comes to matters of faith.

I'd recommend familiarizing yourself (far beyond your present currency) with the teachings of Christ before you sloppily mis-apply his message.

Your religion (not Christianity) seems more a ham-handed attempt to justify undeserved self-worth.

I wish you the very best in reconciling this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I live in the Bible Belt and I was once told by a Baptist neighbor of mine that my Husband was going to Hell because he's not religious. Nice...Another time while having a discussion with her I brought up the topic of evolution and she freakishly started screaming in protest. I responded by telling her that we were leaving her home and that I wasn't going to have her behave irrationally around my children. She apologized but only so that the lines of communication between us would remain open as she was trying to convert us. No matter what was said to her, she would always respond by saying that she would pray about it. No thoughts or opinions of her own. I've often wondered how a person gets to that point in their lives that they no longer think for themselves? Sad.

I also hate when the first words out of someones mouth are "What Church do you go to?" Each time I hear this I know I need to get moving as the level of conversation will likely be mind numbing. I don't appreciate this or being told how I should live my life. I have better morals than many of the church goers living among us. Hypocrites. :rolli:

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    lol @ that video.

MBTI
    Zzzz

lmfaoooooooooooo I had to stop watching twice before I could watch that episode uninterrupted. That woman seirously freaked me out and I rarely get scared.

"SHE'S NOT A CHRISTIAN!"

My sis and I couldn't stop imitating her voice for---even til now. Over anything.

Even if I were convinced to go back to Christianity what am I supposed to believe?

Creation: Young Earth Creationism, Old Earth Creationism, Intelligent Design, Theistic Evolution, etc.

The Bible: Infallibility? Divine inspiration? Which books? How reliable? Is it at all useful?

Salvation: Armenianism, Calvinism (How many points ot the TULIP?), Universalism, Anihilationism, Purgatory, Eternal Hell, Temporary Hell, No Hell?

The Nature of God: Trinitarianism, Binitarianism, Unitarianism, Modalism, The Godhead, Arianism?

Eschatology: Amillennialism, Postmillennialism, Premillennialism (pre tribulation rapture, mid tribulation rapture, post tribulation rapture, no rapture), Dispensationalism?

I think you can see my problem with Christianity. No one knows what the fuck they're talking about. You could tell me it's not about dogma and it doesn't matter what I believe as long as I love God and everyone else or whatever. Fine. Your opinion goes on the pile with thousands of others.

How is anyone supposed to figure out what this tricky bastard wants from us?
    Let's see if I can make this point very clear.

I listed all of those theological positions to illustrate that Christianity is fractured into tiny pieces.

Christians as a whole do not agree on anything. Like with the Gay thing, some Christians think homosexuality is this evil, horrible sin. Others think there's nothing wrong with it. How are we to determine which is correct? Does God consider homosexuality to be a sin or not? If people's behavior is important to God he should be able to communicate clearly rather than through faint whispers and subtle hints.

This is why I quit being a christian. How does God want us to live? No one agrees. What does the bible say? No one agrees. Does it even matter? No one agrees. Some say you have to believe very specific things or you'll burn in hell. Others say it doesn't matter just love everyone.

Two people can hold totally contradictory beliefs and still call themselves Christians. That seems a bit odd to me.