User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Thread: Loving God?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It is a folly to think that Christianity has special attraction to those who refuse to think. I have known just as many subscribing to Buddhism, Paganism and the New Thought philosophies who didn't like to think either.
    That doesn't discount the idea that conventional christianity is a potential breeding ground for the adversaries of reason.
    we fukin won boys

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ah man!!!!

Now I'm starting to feel guilty. Hey, if it helps you live your life in a better way than what's standard, rock on!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

The only question I have is that if God loves unconditionally, then wouldn't he through that unconditional love accept you no matter what and therefore accept you into Heaven regardless?

I mean saying that if you don't do this or that then you're going to hell isn't exactly unconditional is it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by hungrypossum View Post
    reminds me of the saying that the hardest path in life is the one that takes the most climbing. i do have to try very very hard to listen to people, because i tend to talk more than listen. i stumble all the time - hey thats another toby mac song "everyone of us has stumbled, everybody's humbled..." i do stupid things, and probably i stated the medical school thing cos of pride. the more i know God i gotta say the more im shocked by how dark i am. i used to feel bad about doing the wrong thing, especially when im testifying, but then i read in the bible that Peter ran to Jesus even after he wronged him 3 times

i guess last year i felt like i was leading a Detestable life! I knew myself...that I was a big bum and a liar, wasnt doing anything at all with my life. anyone who really knew me would hate me! so i was always pretending to be someone i was not. probably i struggle with it even now, but God's nudge for me to learn driving, pick up guitar etc... well i've not only gained useful skills, i can be proud i can do something now at least. So it was.. God, ok, make me a better person.

So you're right. I literally have to surrender to God every morning and ask him to help me through the day, or let me commit it to him. arguably, we can give in and do whatever we want, but i think part of the "inner fire" i was talking about comes from trying and trying
    You know, everything that you spoke on this post; you are also talking about my life. (you are just a lot younger and smarter than me!)
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    That doesn't discount the idea that conventional christianity is a breeding ground for the adversaries of reason.
    Is it truly by some solid measure anymore of a breeding ground for lack of reason than any other conventional religion, including conventional Budhism and Hinduism?

I am not saying that it does not attract a lack of reason, I am saying I don't think it holds any special place among the various religions. I see people in the west hold a special hatred of it because of their own personal prejudices having been raised in it but really it is no worse than any other traditional religion in this regard as far as I can see.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The only question I have is that if God loves unconditionally, then wouldn't he through that unconditional love accept you no matter what and therefore accept you into Heaven regardless?

I mean saying that if you don't do this or that then you're going to hell isn't exactly unconditional is it?
    Not all Christians believe this, but I believe in unconditional election. Did you ever wonder why GOD loved Jacob, but He HATED Esau? I thought Jacob was a rat, and Esau seemed to be a good person. There was a reason for it, but I couldn't quite understand it. I understand now that there was a reason why He did, and I can't question it. It just is.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Is it truly by some solid measure anymore of a breeding ground for lack of reason than any other conventional religion, including conventional Budhism and Hinduism?
    I didn't say it was any more of an obstacle to logicians. I only said that is is an obstacle.

IMO it is worse, but I can't really measure that. I mean, I could count the number of poorly designed logical fallacies in the bible and compare it to that in the torah, but it's really important which ones are worse.

What matters is that they do inhibit rationality..
    [/QUOTE]
    we fukin won boys

About the unconditional love and hell: well, sure that's why you're always welcome to follow God anytime during your life. Thats why he sent Jesus to die on the cross, so that all who believe in him can go to heaven. All you have to do is believe.

You see, it is because we believe that we follow his will. Not vice versa. God is not what's controlling my typing hands right now, I am Willing following him. I have also DECIDED to love him. I have the choice to decide whether to sin or not, every moment of my life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Not all Christians believe this, but I believe in unconditional election. Did you ever wonder why GOD loved Jacob, but He HATED Esau? I thought Jacob was a rat, and Esau seemed to be a good person. There was a reason for it, but I couldn't quite understand it. I understand now that there was a reason why He did, and I can't question it. It just is.
    In the end it doesn't really bother me either way.

I don't believe or disbelieve. I'm not gonna spend my life worrying whether or not anything I may or may not do could in the end some how damn me in the eyes of someone who may or may not exist. In the end if there is one, then we'll see if those choices were good enough for him or not. Till then I'm just gonna live the way I want, I don't need the threat of some omnipresence being to help me decide whats right or wrong. I just live my life by my own code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I didn't say it was any more of an obstacle to logicians. I only said that is is an obstacle.

IMO it is worse, but I can't really measure that. I mean, I could count the number of poorly designed logical fallacies in the bible and compare it to that in the torah, but it's really important which ones are worse.

What matters is that they do inhibit rationality..
    I was making a general observation, not meaning it to be directed specially at you or I would have quoted you. I just hear this argument a lot that somehow following Buddhism or Hinduism or some other religion makes one more intellectual than being Christian and I think the idea has ground to stand on.