• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Does it Matter to You?

rav3n

Posted the below in the random thread but decided it would be interesting to hear other members' perspectives. Take it as far or close as you feel like. :)

Why is it important to people that mankind be important or that self be considered important within the context of external comparatives? Why does the meaning of life matter? Why not do the best you can do within your life and if you've messed up then fix it and move on? Why does one require external forgiveness?

rav3n

....because we live in a Society.
whether or not you live out in the boonies somewhere, we're all in Society now.
this forum is a society, your neighborhood and community are Societies...and within these Societies we are all held accountable for not only ourselves, but for each other.
I think most people DO do the best they can within their lives and if they mess up, then as a Society we need to help those other people TO fix it, and THEN "they'll" be able to move on.
Added aprilfool's input into this thread from the random thought thread.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is it important to people that mankind be important or that self be considered important within the context of external comparatives? Why does the meaning of life matter?

I think trying to create importance of the self is one of the biggest mistakes humanity makes. It leads to ego. Rather than creating importance of self, accept self.

The meaning of life just *is*. (Or perhaps it *is not*.) It doesn't care if it matters to you. So the question is, what, if anything, does creating/finding meaning add to your life?

Why not do the best you can do within your life and if you've messed up then fix it and move on? Why does one require external forgiveness?

External forgiveness isn't required beyond the occasional practical purpose. However, I do find being worthy of forgiveness to be a noble goal. I think you have it right in your preceding question.

rav3n

Thanks for your input aprilfool and Udog. They're different opinions of why or why not.

KDude

Self matters to me. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. :wink: I don't think it intrinsically means that I step on another's toes in the process or anything. The healthiest/most respectful outlook on self also recognizes that other people are in the same boat. "Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Hard Battle" - Plato

On the flipside, I'm not going to take that too far either. I don't have the means to identify with everyone or want to give them the benefit of the doubt just because they're human. Screw some people. They may be human, but some aren't humane or reasonable, and I'm happy to get selfish and egotistical in that case. You have to have at least enough ego to believe what you're doing is right sometimes. That some ways aren't just different. But better.

O

Oberon

The existence of objective meaning is the only inflexible constraint on behavior. If I didn't believe in the absolute (in my specific case, God) I would have no reason to get out of bed in the morning. I do get up, however, and shower and dress and go to work at a job that I hate... because I believe that doing my part for my family fundamentally matters.

Absent objective meaning I could have a midlife crisis complete with red convertible and young blonde, and abandon my family. Plenty of men do, and I suppose some of them must find that the pain of loss fades, to be replaced by the rewards of sex and freedom.

But I don't do this. For one, it doesn't appeal to me, not really, not beyond the superficial; but even if it did, I wouldn't do it, because I believe in the absolute.

I realize that I'm coming at it wrong way 'round... I'm explaining that I have to believe in Meaning because if I didn't I would do ugly things. That still doesn't explain why I believe in Meaning. Still, I do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I require external forgiveness because it's a weak substitute for my forgiveness of myself, which I never get... at least someone can forgive me :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because I need other people and want them to love me.

One of the things I tell people when they say that atheists have no purpose for being alive is that even minus any sort of afterlife people leave behind a legacy of knowledge, art, architecture, music, culture et al for their children, their grandchildren, or just the masses in general if they choose not to reproduce. We are still affected indirectly by things people did centuries ago - and that includes "the little people" because those people build the great cathedrals that are breathtaking to behold, and work to uphold the various cultures that make the world so interesting.

And for me that is enough. There is something beautiful about life and peace and love. But I need other people, and other living beings - I must have that external connection to be happy.