User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Kids These Days..

Out of control!

Listen to these wise men!

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress.
    You might be nodding your head.. but wait..

The first quote was made by Hesiod in 8th Century BC., the second by Socrates.. the third by Peter the Hermit in 1274 AD.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    The first quote was made by Hesiod in 8th Century BC., the second by Socrates.. the third by Peter the Hermit in 1274 AD.
    History repeats itself ad infinitum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    History repeats itself ad infinitum.
    I find this concept so interesting, and a little comforting.

I find it a little comforting too. After all, we were all insolent morons when we were kids. But most of us do, in fact grow up. Not me, but most of us
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I find this concept so interesting, and a little comforting.
    It's like anything in life really. The younger generation will always buck the current one in power as they dislike being forced to do what their "elders" demand they should. They usually do so in a way thats opposite and when they grow older and replace the ones they themselves fought against, their offspring will in turn start the cycle all over again. It may not be a complete opposite flip but it will gradually get back to where it started.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I really understand what you mean. But even within a generation, there are kids who aren't as rebellious as others. Some don't need to act out in the same ways, but many do... enough so that it could be seen as a whole generation thing. Some adults are activists and protest the status quo, and some children look to it for protection. I wonder if that just means there are exceptions to every rule?

MBTI
    INFP

I have always been smart enough to recognize my elders for having much more experience and answers than myself. I always felt a bit sorry for friends of mine that did what was in their own worst interest simply because they could get away with it. =\

I have heard many times during my life the "Kids today..." or "When I was a kid, we..." thing. It's a cliché I find both amusing and annoying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I wonder if that just means there are exceptions to every rule?
    Can a rule have an exception?

I do agree that not every member of a generation will buck the previous, however that again is just like everything else in life, the vocal minorities speak the loudest, and the sheeple follow those people blindly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9

MBTI
    infp

I'm 16 and as I read those I was thinking that first, thats true , and second, young people have been like that forever and that is well documented. I guess I was right

It seems that this does not only apply to young people though. Every generation seems to think the previous generations were cleaner and the future generations are corrupt. Look at the Sistine Chapel, where it is painted to show the past as pure and the current, modern day (1500ish?) as being drunken and corrupt, with grey areas between. Well, either Michelangelo, as great an artist as he was, was full of shit, or he's right but everyone started to get their act together and the corruption and drunkeness levelled off