User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Are they (kids) getting exponentially worse though with every passing year?

MBTI
    istp

Crazy kids, get off my lawn! *shakes garden hose threateningly*

we were all kids at one point... yes they're immature and inexperienced, but they're vital to the influx of fresh perspective and progression. out with the old and in with the new.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    we were all kids at one point... yes they're immature and inexperienced, but they're vital to the influx of fresh perspective and progression. out with the old and in with the new.
    We will bury you after all

...or burn you and spread you across the ocean I don't know what you wanna do with yourselves after you die.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    We will bury you after all

...or burn you and spread you across the ocean I don't know what you wanna do with yourselves after you die.
    I'd like to be buried at sea, myself.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

"Functional MRI images that compared young people age 9-17 with 20-40-year-old adults revealed that the young people processed emotions, instructions, and procedures much more consistently in the amygdala (the seat of emotions), whereas adults processed the same activities more consistently in the frontal lobe (the seat of rationality)."

There's also research that shows brain development during the teenage years starts from the back and moves towards the front where the front lobe is (the seat of rationality).

(from the Owners Manual for the Brain by Pierce J. Howard, Ph.D)

I read in this very book about how people spoke badly of the youth no matter what generation. It may just be a result of how young people's brain function, and also the lack of experience due to never having had the oppurtunity to have as many experiences.

MBTI
    INFP

I think young people's frontal lobe (executive decisions) isn't fully formed until the 20s? I'm not entirely sure.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Dana makes such LOL threads

Socrates himself though, didn't differ much from what he described of the children.

He may have been using sarcasm or something.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP

Keen observation.. he certainly may have been.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

While basic qualities of a society linger from generation to generation, for the most part, the overarcing culture is constantly changing and the conservative older generation is all to quick to notice and dismiss this change. In many ways it's a product of rose colored glasses. Most people have an idealized image of the world as a youth and don't tend to notice the disrespectful tendencies they notice later on. Thus the future appears more cynical than the past when it's really just their views that have darkened. The youths on the other hand can only listen to the elders.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    "Functional MRI images that compared young people age 9-17 with 20-40-year-old adults revealed that the young people processed emotions, instructions, and procedures much more consistently in the amygdala (the seat of emotions), whereas adults processed the same activities more consistently in the frontal lobe (the seat of rationality)."

There's also research that shows brain development during the teenage years starts from the back and moves towards the front where the front lobe is (the seat of rationality).

(from the Owners Manual for the Brain by Pierce J. Howard, Ph.D)

I read in this very book about how people spoke badly of the youth no matter what generation. It may just be a result of how young people's brain function, and also the lack of experience due to never having had the oppurtunity to have as many experiences.
    I've become incredibly skeptical of studies such as this ever since reading of similar craniometrical research done for blacks and women during the 19th century. The goal of this type of science has always been to justify some form of prejudice or social expectation so in cases in which these studies are given, I'm always interesting in seeing the exact methods used to obtain the data. I've only found two but their exact methods are hard to dig up.

NIMH · Teenage Brain: A work in progress

Their sample size seems nice superficially (145) but the way in which they describe the consequences of their research definitely makes it seem as if they went into it with preset expectations. What really tips me off, however are the constant comments about how teens have an over-reliance on the back of their brain, the supposed antithesis of rationality. It's eerily similar to something else. During the before mentioned studies from the 19th century it was widely believed that blacks had such a dependence on this region, giving a lapse of logic with an increase in animalistic senses to go with it. One would think that by now, we would have advanced to the point where we realize that the brain isn't so simplistically organized as to house certain faculties in exact areas (there is no portion dedicated exclusively to memories for instance). And yet the entire back portion of the brain is still being used as the catch-all term for primitive whims and subhuman impulses.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've seen these quotes before, and they do illustrate the point quite nicely. As TheBeatGoesOn alluded to, if each successive generation was ten times as bad as the one before, over hundreds of generations, we would have self-destructed long ago.

We do tend to vilify young people. There's this generally held assumption that the current generation of young people are horrifically violent. Just listen to the politicians that use the "corrupting nature of videogames on our youth" as a cheap political bit. They claim that this explains why young people are so violent today. The fact is, the FBI crime statistics show that youth-committed violent crimes have dropped precipitously over the last couple decades. The 11-14 year old age bracket has especially dropped (a core videogame demographic, btw). The only age bracket that has increased in violent crimes is the upper-30s crowd (i.e., people who were teenagers a couple decades ago). The current generation of young people is the most nonviolent that we've had.

Actually, the graph of decreasing crime statistics just happens to line up nicely with the release dates of major gaming consoles. Coincidence? Well, yeah, probably.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.