• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fur

What's your opinion of fur?

• I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I'm against fur.

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Actually the PETA people make me want to spitefully wear fur as a statement rather than for practical reasons.

Too bad it's so expensive.

And my snobby fur wearing cousins who always locked me up in the freezer make me want to become a PETA activist and go vegan. :biggrin:

KDude

I want a huge fur cape, a horned helmet, and meat and potatoes every day for breakfast.

*sigh* I do love animals though. Skinning videos (the little that I could tolerate enough to watch) are brutal and heartbreaking. They made want to be vegan for awhile. I don't know what's stopping me from trying harder.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
Actually the PETA people make me want to spitefully wear fur as a statement rather than for practical reasons.
QUOTE]

This.

I picked the first option mostly for this reason (I like fur, but its not my favorite thing in the world).

These animals are often skinned alive, or have a metal rod shoved up their anuses and are elctrocuted from the inside out. Like can you even imagine how intense that pain must feel? I can't. And these are sentient creatures. They feel that pain. I just don't know what it's going to take for people like the quoted posters above who don't give a damn to see how inhumane the whole fur industry is.

You absolutely do not need to wear fur. There are many incredibly warm, synthetic, fashionable-looking coats without the pain, misery and torture that is involved with real fur. It's like people buying cosmetics tested on animals. Do we really need a new and improved mascara?? Tested on animals? Clearly not.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The same goes for meat animals, which is a much much larger industry (i.e. many more suffering animals). I'd rather have increased rules for humane treatment or boycott certain companies rather than banning everything involving animals.

O

Oberon

I can't help but think that this is a thinly-veiled effort at class warfare. If fur was a cottage industry in da projects they wouldn't be complaining.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj1wcs7SZj0"]You must be the monopoly guy![/YOUTUBE]

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Just another animal product. Much like hot wings or the insulin they give the dying children with type I diabetes, I see fur as something with value, but not something I really need at this particular moment.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
The same goes for meat animals, which is a much much larger industry (i.e. many more suffering animals). I'd rather have increased rules for humane treatment or boycott certain companies rather than banning everything involving animals.
I agree the same goes for meat. But this was on fur. Fur is probably one of the cruelest animal industries. But it makes it even sicker that all this torture is done just for fashion.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
You know what's not going to work? Throwing paint on people wearing fur coats.

They do it because it gets media attention and brings light to the issues. So often I come across people who avoid the issue of their own involvement in animal abuse by putting down Peta. I'm vegan and I don't agree with all of Peta's methods, but I really don't blame them for doing that. People who wear fur really do need a wake up call.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
They do it because it gets media attention and brings light to the issues. So often I come across people who avoid the issue of their own involvement in animal abuse by putting down Peta. I'm vegan and I don't agree with all of Peta's methods, but I really don't blame them for doing that. People who wear fur really do need a wake up call.

That's nice, and people who assault other people as a political statement need to be thrown in prison.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't help but think that this is a thinly-veiled effort at class warfare. If fur was a cottage industry in da projects they wouldn't be complaining.

Who wouldn't be complaining? I don't care who does it, and how rich they are. My issue is not with rich people, but with people who don't care that animals are tortured and killed for their frivolous desires. In the projects, you might be more likely to find dog fighting for sport than fur-wearing, which I find equally reprehensible.

I agree the same goes for meat. But this was on fur. Fur is probably one of the cruelest animal industries. But it makes it even sicker that all this torture is done just for fashion.

Agreed.

O

Oberon

Who wouldn't be complaining? I don't care who does it, and how rich they are. My issue is not with rich people, but with people who don't care that animals are tortured and killed for their frivolous desires. In the projects, you might be more likely to find dog fighting for sport than fur-wearing, which I find equally reprehensible.

Then I think y'all oughta put your paint where your mouth is... head out to da projects and throw some paint on the nearest pit bull owner you find.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Haters gonna hate... unless they have a pit bull. Then you keep a straight face and keep walking. I think there was a South Park episode about this, it ended with a lot of dead PETA people. I must watch it again.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Then I think y'all oughta put your paint where your mouth is... head out to da projects and throw some paint on the nearest pit bull owner you find.

What's your point, Oberon? I'm sure you're itching to make it known.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
What's your point, Oberon? I'm sure you're itching to make it known.

There is a double standard amongst activists that results in some participants being assaulted for their perceived cruelty to animals, and some participants continuing their equally (or excessively) cruel habits simply because it is easier to attack those who are less able to defend themselves. The point is quite obvious, and it makes perfect sense.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I never said anything about supporting throwing paint on anyone. I don't actually support PETA's extreme tactics, as I feel like they do more PR damage for animal rights than good. But I sure will support legislation requiring dogfighters serve long prison sentences, or at the very least, being made to pay hefty fines and do community service.

Also, please quit saying "da projects."

Beorn

Permabanned
Animals are beautiful and valuable.

I believe that humans have dominion over animals. But, this dominion does not amount to a complete right to treat animals however one desires to treat them. They should be treated with respect to their nature and their relationship to humans and other creatures.

As with any relationship give and take should be presumptive. The fact of the matter is that happy animals make happy people and any pet owner will tell you this. But, this idea also extends to livestock. The happier an animal is the higher quality of the eggs, milk, fur or meat. Stress will have a negative impact on all of these products.

The abuse of animals does not come from a wrongful desire to benefit from animals, but from greed and a desire to consume more at less cost.

But, rather than curtail are greed and deal with the root cause of many of our animal problems we have decided as a society to hide the true cost of our greed from our eyes and have turned to science and technology to limit the negative impacts.

The opposite response has been just as bad. Many of the animal rights activists have really just lowered the value of humans down to the value of animals as opposed to raising animals to the value of humans.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
Many of the animal rights activists have really just lowered the value of humans down to the value of animals as opposed to raising animals to the value of humans.
A lot of “extreme” AR activists do extreme actions because they feel like nothing else is going to work. How do you get people who don't give a damn to care, to change their ways? It can be very depressing. Mostly now, the first thought that comes to my mind is what sort of human being supports that? What sort of human being actually picks the first option of this poll? It makes me grateful that I had an upbringing in which I was taught to treat animals with the love and respect they deserve.

What is even more ridiculous with fur is that so much fake fur looks identical to real fur! A lot of the time, it's probably only some activists that can actually tell the difference because they have a trained eye LOL. So not only are fur-wearers being unnecessarily cruel, but they are clearly lacking in intelligence too.