User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of fur?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

6 17.65%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

5 14.71%
  • Indifferent

10 29.41%
  • I'm against fur.

13 38.24%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

0 0%
First 678910 Last

Thread: Fur

Oberon

I still would like to hear Tallulah articulate her objection to my use of the term.

MBTI
    ----

^^ it's a bit naff oberon. kinda like when my dad plays car racing games on xbox and leans his whole person to the side as he goes around a corner. :p

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I still would like to hear Tallulah articulate her objection to my use of the term.
    Tallulah and I are 'N Sync on this one.

You know... the band you probably think is still hot.

Oberon

The incongruity was kind of the point, honestly. I meant it to seem "wrong" somehow.

So your objections are primarily aesthetic, then?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I noted indifferent but how I really feel is inconsistent.

I like how fur looks and feels.

On the other hand the Canadian seal pup slaughter really pisses me off tothe point of me boycotting Canadian cod fish, Red Lobster and being ever vigilant against the shifty eyed "Canuck".

They like to comes off as one of those "do gooders" but then you start to notice things about them. Stuff like bloody fingerprints in their closets, garages and bathrooms.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    The animals had a reasonable life for a farm animal and were treated humanely, although not pets.
    Unfortunately that's not the norm. The majority of animals raised for fur spend their entire life confined in a small cages (intensive fur farming). The stress of the confinement often drives them to cannabilism. A lot of the time the animals are just stunned, so they are still alive when they are skinned. It would be an excruciatingly painful death. It takes 60 mink to make just one coat. All that torture for just one "fashionable" coat.

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edasich View Post
    Unfortunately that's not the norm. The majority of animals raised for fur spend their entire life confined in a small cages (intensive fur farming). The stress of the confinement often drives them to cannabilism. A lot of the time the animals are just stunned, so they are still alive when they are skinned. It would be an excruciatingly painful death. It takes 60 mink to make just one coat. All that torture for just one "fashionable" coat.
    Again, this happens on a vastly more grand scale with meat. All that torture for just one "delicious" steak. Why not throw paint on people at McDonalds?
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    It seems that fur is being "fashionable" again, but what do we actually think about it? Last Saturday at a family party for example I noticed all of my cousins wearing some kind of (real!) fur and one of my cousins was showing off a dead fox he bought on the market. I personally really detest fur and as I find it pretty much immoral, I nearly considered going vegan the next day just to tease my cousins. Are my cousins, aunts and uncles the only people who love fur, or am I just being a sissy?

Edit: Leather doesn't count here, because that's just slaughter garbage. I'm talking about skins from animals that were exclusively killed for their fur. Also, I'm talking about the Western society here. In some cultures fur is totally acceptable, so that doesn't count here.
    Well your added on comments interest me more than the OP: i.e. leather doesn't count here because...

Same with fur. I think if you eat the animal meat anyway there's no reason not to use their furs for warmth.

However, cruel animal farming just for style seems pretty brutal. I am kind of this mixed up person where visceral things like meat, fur, even blood and violence on some level, appeal to me...it seems natural and powerful and instinctive. On the other hand, I'm realistically against making any living being suffer unnecessarily, especially cute little minks and rabbits.

Do they make bear fur hats and coats? I could hang with that. Bears are mean. They'll eat your ass.

I'm also partly amused by your disclaimer that it doesn't count in other cultures where fur is still acceptable. If it's ethically wrong, it's ethically wrong...and if it's acceptable in some cultures for a particular reason, then it should also be acceptable in our culture for the same reasons. Seems logical to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I thought ajblaise covered it.
    Something Witty