User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of fur?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

6 17.65%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

5 14.71%
  • Indifferent

10 29.41%
  • I'm against fur.

13 38.24%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

0 0%
First 56789 Last

Thread: Fur

I'm indifferent. If the animals was not usable for fur, they would never get to experience life(production), so in this case they have been lucky. And as suffering is relative, you don't suffer if you don't know you suffer. Just make sure they have their basic needs tended for until the fur is ready to be harvested, and I don't have an issue. Consumers control this. If there is no marked, there is no fur production. Personally I don't need fur.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hmm, I think I should clarify my answer. I don't like the idea of fur as a trimming or something where it isn't functional (trimming a hood is semi-functional, I guess). Or something ridiculous like trimming summer clothing. In general, I am against killing animals without a good reason, including for sport (although if it's humane, it's not as big of a deal). But I can't fault using it for a useful function (similar to meat), even if the methods could surely be made more humane (similar to meat).

Fur is warmer than synthetics, to my knowledge, and it is produced from a natural source rather than heavily-processed plastic materials (if you're worried about global warming and all that). It also decays naturally in a landfill, unlike synthetics, and it has a much nicer feel (and arguably, look). It is also probably less likely to be produced by people in horrible living conditions in a factory. Buying it can support the livelihood of native people in a productive way, in some cases. So I think there's a valid argument for using it, even though it's possible to live without it. It's possible to live without many things (like meat) that enrich the lives of many people.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edasich View Post
    A lot of “extreme” AR activists do extreme actions because they feel like nothing else is going to work. How do you get people who don't give a damn to care, to change their ways?

Mostly now, the first thought that comes to my mind is what sort of human being supports that? What sort of human being actually picks the first option of this poll?
    1.) Which is the same reasoning as any other extremist-though most other extremist save their unrestrained passion and hyperbole for issues regarding human rights and welfare.

2.) The first thought than comes to my mind is that you must have had a very sheltered upbringing within a very closed and socially homogonous social circle to be able to dehumanize people who disagree with you on this issue.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Also, please quit saying "da projects."
    You find it distasteful?

I borrowed the term from hip-hop culture. I suppose I haven't "earned the right" to use it...?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You find it distasteful?

I borrowed the term from hip-hop culture. I suppose I haven't "earned the right" to use it...?
    A middle aged white guy using hip-hop culture in any way is to be prohibited.

You're lucky I didn't give out an infraction for that, bro.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Which is the same reasoning as any other extremist-though most other extremist save their unrestrained passion and hyperbole for issues regarding human rights and welfare.
    I work with a peaceful, non-violent animal rights group.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    2.) The first thought than comes to my mind is that you must have had a very sheltered upbringing within a very closed and socially homogonous social circle to be able to dehumanize people who disagree with you on this issue.
    Well your first thought is incorrect, sir (miss?) :-)

I think human beings at their core are all fundamentally good. Someone who supports that torture has lost touch with their humanity. Like all abusers – be it human or animal abusers -they need help.

MBTI
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Who wouldn't be complaining? I don't care who does it, and how rich they are. My issue is not with rich people, but with people who don't care that animals are tortured and killed for their frivolous desires. In the projects, you might be more likely to find dog fighting for sport than fur-wearing, which I find equally reprehensible.
    your avatar is wearing a leather jacket.

My grandmother used to raise rabbits and other livestock. The rabbits would be shipped out about every six weeks or so and slaughtered for meat/fur. they loaded them on a large 18 wheeler that had vented cages stacked from top to bottom. The animals had a reasonable life for a farm animal and were treated humanely, although not pets.

I have watched a few videos online of animals being skinned and to be honest-while gross for the typical person who gets their meat from a saran wrapped package-it was quick electric shock, repeated if the animal was still responsive followed by decapitation. I cant say totally painless, but quick.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You're lucky I didn't give out an infraction for that, bro.
    You know... I see what you did there...!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You know... I see what you did there...!
    Hey, stoner and surfer white guys and black guys get to share the word bro! Isn't that interesting?

That's why we have good race relations with each other like that.