User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of fur?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

6 17.65%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

5 14.71%
  • Indifferent

10 29.41%
  • I'm against fur.

13 38.24%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

0 0%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Fur

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Fur is no longer taken from wild animals in any quantity... it's taken from animals raised in captivity for the express purpose of producing fur.

I'm not sure it's immoral to kill an animal for its fur when, if it wasn't for the fur industry, that animal would never have existed at all.
    To the last bit, that's one of the most distasteful things about it, to me. Why raise something just to kill it, when there's no necessity behind the thing you need it for. Like veal--why subject an animal to that sort of existence when it's not really necessary for survival? We don't NEED it, we just like it.
    Something Witty

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Because it's damned delicious.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    To the last bit, that's one of the most distasteful things about it, to me. Why raise something just to kill it, when there's no necessity behind the thing you need it for. Like veal--why subject an animal to that sort of existence when it's not really necessary for survival? We don't NEED it, we just like it.
    God save us from the day when we have to defend every possession we own and every act we perform on the basis of "need." There are a million things you don't need, but have or do nonetheless... you don't "need" an internet connection. You don't need coffee. You don't need to get out of town for the weekend. You don't need a pet dog. You don't need personal control over your thermostat, you don't need private property rights, you don't need your own vehicle... I'm not willing to entertain that approach to living.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The edit in the OP has made me totally confused about what the moral calculus is here.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Wearing a fur coat looks like wearing a shag carpet...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    God save us from the day when we have to defend every possession we own and every act we perform on the basis of "need." There are a million things you don't need, but have or do nonetheless... you don't "need" an internet connection. You don't need coffee. You don't need to get out of town for the weekend. You don't need a pet dog. You don't need personal control over your thermostat, you don't need private property rights, you don't need your own vehicle... I'm not willing to entertain that approach to living.
    You really don't see the difference here? We're talking about killing living beings on a whim, not sacrificing a cup of Starbucks. I'm not slippery sloping this issue--you are.
    Something Witty

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Lots of us use products where there was some suffering or exploitation used to get it in your hands. Like an iPad made under brutal sweat shop conditions, where the workers kill themselves regularly right in the factory. Is that worse or better than breeding animals just to kill them for fashion later on? Both are pretty scummy.

But the animal rights advocates should also look at what they do in life that supports or facilitates human suffering, which is an animal too. To their credit, a PETA member is also more likely to be a anti-sweat shop human rights type person.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Lots of us use products where there was some suffering or exploitation used to get it in your hands. Like an iPad made under brutal sweat shop conditions, where the workers kill themselves regularly right in the factory. Is that worse or better than breeding animals just to kill them for fashion later on? Both are pretty scummy.

But the animal rights advocates should also look at what they do in life that supports or facilitates human suffering, which is an animal too. To their credit, a PETA member is also more likely to be a anti-sweat shop human rights type person.
    Exactly. I think there's a somewhat arbitrary line here where many people make a big deal about fur but don't care about leather, eating meat, hunting, owning pets, human rights violations, polluting the environment, killing animals by ecosystem destruction or farming, letting animal populations get out of control so they starve to death...etc, etc, etc

Yes, some people care about many or all of these. But fur is not by any stretch the worst crime against animals out there so I'm not sure why it gets so much bad press/attention. Well, other than being cute and fuzzy.
    -end of thread-

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Exactly. I think there's a somewhat arbitrary line here where many people make a big deal about fur but don't care about leather, eating meat, hunting, owning pets, human rights violations, polluting the environment, killing animals by ecosystem destruction or farming, letting animal populations get out of control so they starve to death...etc, etc, etc

Yes, some people care about many or all of these. But fur is not by any stretch the worst crime against animals out there so I'm not sure why it gets so much bad press/attention. Well, other than being cute and fuzzy.
    I also don't blame people for targeting the specific issues that hit a cord with them. No one can be all things to all people. So if a PETA chick wants to do her thing, but doesn't do anything for abused women in Afghanistan, that's okay. Compared to the masses who do nothing on anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    But fur is not by any stretch the worst crime against animals out there so I'm not sure why it gets so much bad press/attention. Well, other than being cute and fuzzy.
    True, but it often needs to be said that that does not justify the fur trade, it just puts it into perspective.

I'd guess it gets the extra attention because it is more obvious than the aforementioned things. Even compared to leather, it actually looks more like a corpse.