User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of fur?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

6 17.65%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

5 14.71%
  • Indifferent

10 29.41%
  • I'm against fur.

13 38.24%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Fur

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm anti-fur, both for killing animals to be fashion accessories for women, and I'm anti-fur growing on women's bodies. They need to be sheared humanely... both the animals and women.

Banned

I don't really like how fur looks or feels, but I have to wear it in my profession in order to bestow respect amongst my women and rivaling traders. Does that make me immoral, I think not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    Animals kill for food too and human kind couldn't have gotten such a huge brain without eating meat.
    Animals do it so humans should too? Animals rape and kill (for fun) too you know. Animals do lots and lots of other things I hopefully don't need to list...

I doubt eating meat was anything other than a necessity in harsh times (suggested by human's mostly herbivorous anatomy), not something required for the evolution of a large brain. The strongest theory going for large brain evolution is bipedalism, and the resulting dexterity for controlling hands, and that's a pretty weak theory in itself. Meat certainly isn't required to maintain a large brain (as any vegetarian or vegan can demonstrate).

Killing just for fur is pretty much unknown in nature and in modern days it's even unnecessary.
    I'm pretty sure humans have used fur for survival, in colder climates at least. Meat eating is unnecessary in every first-world country, again as people who don't eat meat demonstrate.

Besides, I'd rather have someone kill me because they were hungry than being killed because they want to make a coat out of my skin.
    All right, but it still leaves out leather. Plenty of animals are killed solely to make leather, or at least wouldn't be killed if the demand for leather dropped.

EDIT: That's "kill for fun" (as in, not for food or survival) and rape, not "rape for fun". Sorry for the ambiguity.

MBTI
    INTP

Animals kill for food too and human kind couldn't have gotten such a huge brain without eating meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Animals do it so humans should too? Animals rape and kill (for fun) too you know. Animals do lots and lots of other things I hopefully don't need to list...
    Yeah, why don't we have a dolphin underwater gang rape session right here?!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, why don't we have a dolphin underwater gang rape session right here?!
    Rape isn't funny. Dolphins often rape but ducks are a more common place example of efficient and brutal gang rape. It's not a nice sight to see a goose rape a duck either, let alone the damn swans.

The lake looked so beautiful and tranquil too

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Rape isn't funny. Dolphins often rape but ducks are a more common place example of efficient gang rape. It's not a nice sight to see a goose rape a duck either.

The lake looked so beautiful and tranquil too
    Hmm I didn't know ducks took part in that. My childhood visits to the duck feeding pond seem less innocent now.

MBTI
    INTP

In this day and age, we hardly need fur coats to keep warm. It's a choice. There are plenty of synthetic fabrics that can keep you warm. Fur is a fashion statement, and it sickens me to think of animals being killed for fashion in 2010.
    Something Witty

Any ducks or geese found guilty of rape should be sentenced to the roasting pan. Mmmm...peking duck and roast goose. Mmmm...sliced duck breast on a wild green salad with a mandarin and honey vinaigrette.

Oberon

Fur is no longer taken from wild animals in any quantity... it's taken from animals raised in captivity for the express purpose of producing fur.

I'm not sure it's immoral to kill an animal for its fur when, if it wasn't for the fur industry, that animal would never have existed at all.

Phantonym

Fur is beautiful, but it's more beautiful on a living and free animal and I'm not too crazy about the idea of wearing it. It's not a necessity, so in that case it's a luxury item for show, and the thought of how these animals are actually kept, sometimes in absolutely disgusting conditions, does not make me warm up to the idea. If the conditions were guaranteed to be humane, it's on the people's conscience if they choose to profit from it or wear it. That's life.