User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of fur?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love fur! Bring on the dead animals!

6 17.65%
  • I think fur is beautiful, but I'd never wear it myself

5 14.71%
  • Indifferent

10 29.41%
  • I'm against fur.

13 38.24%
  • I'm not from the Western world and in our culture fur is considered acceptable

0 0%
First 8910

Thread: Fur

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

A big supermarket concern in the Netherlands just started to boycot bioindustry on animals. Yesterday I saw a picture of their least humane pig farm in the news paper and all of the piggies had enough room to walk around and play. Also, it's illegal to castrate pigs without anaesthesia for two years, I believe. So here we're on our way. It's illegal to breed foxes for fur and breeding minks is getting illegal too. I'm personally glad I live here.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think its only right to wear fur when the animal is hunted for food.

We are hunting though. Someone still has to find the animal and process it. What difference is there between a spear, a bow, and a cage? All of these are just tools to make the task of obtaining fur (or meat) easier. Making tasks easier is what humans have become well-known for. We love ingenuity and innovation.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    We are hunting though. Someone still has to find the animal and process it. What difference is there between a spear, a bow, and a cage? All of these are just tools to make the task of obtaining fur (or meat) easier. Making tasks easier is what humans have become well-known for. We love ingenuity and innovation.
    because animals suffer when grown in cages, but they can live a normal life when you hunt them.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I don't believe that the animals being in or not in cages will determine whether or not they will suffer. I'm quite certain that animals experience suffering regardless of any human intervention as a consequence of being alive. I do not understand how you can distinguish between a "normal life" and a caged life, because the result for either individual animal is still the same, they will still be dead and the human will still use that organism for food or clothing. You can't pretend human behavior is any less valid than any other animal behavior and then use that fantasy to justify a separate course of action (free range hunting, for example) that is merely another form of behavior driven by the same end goal. Whether they die in cages or die by the spear, it was human behavior that resulted in the suffering.

I wonder if by removing the human ingenuity from the process and yearning for an idealized environment where we behave with a more primitive set of behaviors and utilize simpler technologies, we can rationalize our actions in a way that makes it acceptable to use other organisms in a way that benefits us. By longing for savagery, practicing killing with savage methods, and believing that such a life is superior, we could manufacture a moral high ground for ourselves, but this is independent from the fate of the animal, which is still going to die.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

lol
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm not really a fan.

and honestly, it's just easier to avoid fur than it is to avoid meat. i was a vegetarian for years and a vegan for a bit and steering clear of fur is a much easier way to cut unnecessary animal killing than trying to figure out a way to make something on the menu meat-free (at least where i live, lol).

seems to me that the best solution would be to avoid killing as much as is reasonable, and what you do kill, use all of.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I think it's ridiculous to kill something simply because it looks good on you. It's the 21st century and humans have the ability to not only create fabrics to mimic the aesthetics of real fur, but to warm the flesh just as good or better than real fur. However, I can understand those who use real fur for warmth and do not have any other option. But in either case, you won't find me pitching a tent outside some fur-factory.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

I like the way it looks. But I'm not about to go buy some. I'll get fake fur, or I might wear something second hand. MIGHT. I hear it's really warm, and I like being really warm, but also dead animal skin on me is kind of weird. I feel similar about leather.

I'm also vegetarian, so it's probably related.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP

I find it rather inconsistent that people who eat meat and wear leather have a beef with fur. I think the problem most people have with fur is that it seems like a frivolous expression of the way we use animals, but this is a feeling that is inconsistent with eating meat or wearing leather. Eating meat, to the degree that the modern human does, is frivolous.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

This Sunday I went to Amsterdam and I saw hundrerds of people wear real fur. I even saw that they transformed a leather shop into a fur shop. They even used fur to decorate the window. I also saw an art shop, where they exposed a dead, decorated baby goat as a piece of art. I really felt like buying a gun and shooting some fur wearers. The next day I checked out if Peta had some fun merchanizing (too bad they didn't).
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.