• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Infallible Beliefs

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
It may well be that you heard Yahweh speak to you, but no one else heard Yahweh speak to you.

And so as far as we can tell, you were having a delusion.

And the best way for you to keep on having this delusion is to join others with a similar delusion.

So you should take yourself to a church, a synagogue, a temple or a mosque to share your delusion with the faithful.

I am quite happy to be here learning this new religion - MBTI :) As to your other comment, He said "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." It is an individuals choice to hear His voice or not.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I've decided that infallible beliefs are my mortal enemy. I will respect people's beliefs, but I'm convince that once people decide that their beliefs are infallible, it leads to closed mindedness and inevitable conflict.

Once a person accepts that their belief is infallible, they usually become completely incapable of changing their minds. They become so drunk on the passion of their idea, that they automatically dismiss everyone else's beliefs, often by marking their beliefs as inferior. They then declare that people must respect their belief above all else. It becomes their duty in life to convert everyone to their way of thinking because it escapes their conception that what they believe is right, may not be universally right for everyone.

Even science constantly tests established beliefs, with hopes of disproving them and discovering something new about what we thought we knew.

In fact, I've decided that whenever a person accepts that their beliefs are infallible it displays a lack of cultural relativism and critical thinking on their part.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the democrat beltway and their media:)

Mole

Permabanned
An Interesting Infallible Belief

Yes, Clinical Depression is an infallible belief.

And it is an infallible belief that can't be shaken by reality.

And it is an infallible belief that takes the form of an emotional delusion.

But what is an emotional delusion?

Well, in Schizophrenia there are delusions of thought but not emotional delusions, while in Clinical Depression there are emotional delusions but not delusions of thought.

But do not make the mistake of telling anyone suffering from Clinical Depression that they are emotionally deluded - because they will tell you that their emotions are the only real thing, and that you are insulting them and trying to take from them the only thing that matters to them - their emotional delusion.

Yes, both Schizophrenia and Clinical Depression are psychosis.

And in any psychosis the sufferer is out of touch with reality.

So the Schizophrenic sufferer is out of touch with reality in their thoughts, while the sufferer from Clinical Depression is out of touch with reality in their emotions.

And so Clinical Depression is an interesting example of an infallible belief in an emotional delusion.

Mole

Permabanned
It is an individuals choice to hear His voice or not.

How curious.

It is not an individual choice whether the people around me hear my voice. In fact if I am speaking, everyone around me can hear my voice.

But when He speaks, only self chosen individuals can hear his voice.

In the words of Alice - "Curiouser and curiouser".

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, Clinical Depression is an infallible belief.

And it is an infallible belief that can't be shaken by reality.

And it is an infallible belief that takes the form of an emotional delusion.

But what is an emotional delusion?

Well, in Schizophrenia there are delusions of thought but not emotional delusions, while in Clinical Depression there are emotional delusions but not delusions of thought.

But do not make the mistake of telling anyone suffering from Clinical Depression that they are emotionally deluded - because they will tell you that their emotions are the only real thing, and that you are insulting them and trying to take from them the only thing that matters to them - their emotional delusion.

Yes, both Schizophrenia and Clinical Depression are psychosis.

And in any psychosis the sufferer is out of touch with reality.

So the Schizophrenic sufferer is out of touch with reality in their thoughts, while the sufferer from Clinical Depression is out of touch with reality in their emotions.

And so Clinical Depression is an interesting example of an infallible belief in an emotional delusion.

Thank you for sharing your views on emotionalism and schizophrenia. Is this something you have suffered from for long, something you new you are dealing with, or an off topic comment to start a new thread?

Mole

Permabanned
Thank you for sharing your views on emotionalism and schizophrenia. Is this something you have suffered from for long, something you new you are dealing with, or an off topic comment to start a new thread?

It seems there is a connection between psychosis and the God delusion.

Both the psychotic and the God deluded are out of touch with reality.

However there are differences between the two.

The psychotic are almost always suffering individuals, while the God deluded are usually members of vast, rich and powerful institutions.

And it is the membership of these institutions that reinforce their delusions.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP

The psychotic are almost always suffering individuals, while the God deluded are usually members of vast, rich and powerful institutions.

Please provide your source.

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5

Being a bit judgmental, are we? And to think, we were just talking about infallible beliefs. It swings to both sides of the spectrum, my friend. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean it's wrong.

Mole

Permabanned
Being a bit judgmental, are we? And to think, we were just talking about infallible beliefs. It swings to both sides of the spectrum, my friend. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean it's wrong.

It's infallible - when we don't agree with someone, we call them judgemental.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I definitely don't agree with cultural relativism, or relativism in general, but I do think there's always room for doubt in most things. That being said, I don't think there's a need to question every single theoretically debatable belief.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
But that is just what science does.

Here's where the distinction between science and philosophy is important. Science looks to build our knowledge of the physical universe. Philosophy would question whether the world actually exists. To me, this philosophical question need not be addressed. I think science, and this conversation, depends on the assumption that the world does exist. We intuitively acknowledge this, and beating the issue to death can be counter-productive. There are limited numbers of minds and unlimited questions. We have to use triage to be most effective.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
We have more than six thousand million minds at the present moment.

And good questions are highly scarce.

There are 6 billion people. Not all have the resources to answer such questions, especially in advanced science. Not all even want to.

Say there are 900 trillion questions/things we don't know. Even if good questions are scarce in relation to this pool, there are still too many for humans as a race to achieve all useful knowledge. Which is why we should discriminate the questions we pursue. And the fact that you say good questions are rare leads me to think you actually agree.

Mole

Permabanned
There are 6 billion people. Not all have the resources to answer such questions, especially in advanced science. Not all even want to.

Say there are 900 trillion questions/things we don't know. Even if good questions are scarce in relation to this pool, there are still too many for humans as a race to achieve all useful knowledge. Which is why we should discriminate the questions we pursue. And the fact that you say good questions are rare leads me to think you actually agree.

Well, I would like to agree, after all I was once a Catholic altar boy myself, under the watchful eye of the infallible Pope.

Fortunately I avoided moving from the infallible Pope to the infallible Marx. And ended up a liberal democrat in Oz.

And my mother always told my sister and me that, "Little birds in their nests should agree".

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I wish my lack of faith wasn't a burden for the only people I care about. Religion kills.

thats what kids who failed used to say till they started doing their homework.

How curious.

It is not an individual choice whether the people around me hear my voice. In fact if I am speaking, everyone around me can hear my voice.

But when He speaks, only self chosen individuals can hear his voice.

In the words of Alice - "Curiouser and curiouser".

when you speak, you use your mouth to make voices that can be perceived by the ear.

what a bat speaks cannot be heard by you...and yet we know that a bat DOES speak...thats how it finds its way. the bat dialect is only perceived by using special equipment...one that can catch ultrasonic frequencies

if your listening to FM 99.3, that doesnt mean that FM 100.4 doesn't exist...only that you are too busy listening to 99.3 to bother to tune into 100.4...cuz tuning into 100.4 takes effort...a few turns of the knob, adjusting the antenna...maybe your radio is so old, it doesnt even support 100.4

if you dont tune in to the right station, how do you expect to hear him?

comes down to perception and willingness to perceive, dont it

Mole

Permabanned
comes down to perception and willingness to perceive, dont it

There's a lot of truth in this.

As we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

Words, for instance, are distinctions and the more words we know, the more we understand.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
There's a lot of truth in this.

As we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

Words, for instance, are distinctions and the more words we know, the more we understand.

knowing more words dont mean shit, applying them to form a coherent sentence does.

Mole

Permabanned
knowing more words dont mean shit, applying them to form a coherent sentence does.

And a sentence is simply a higher order distinction.

Just as a paragraph is a higher order distinction to a sentence.

And a chapter to a paragraph; and a book to a paragraph.

And it still holds true that the more distinctions, the more we see.

But what is more interesting is right in front of you.

You are reading telegraphic prose - known as electronic prose - because it is an electronic medium as opposed to a print medium.

Moving from print to the telegraph created a whole new tranche of distinctions.

And here they are right in front of you - and we always overlook what is right under our noses.

But the distinction between print and the telegraph opens up a whole new world.

And if we don't make the distinction, we are flying blind.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
And a sentence is simply a higher order distinction.

Just as a paragraph is a higher order distinction to a sentence.

And a chapter to a paragraph; and a book to a paragraph.

And it still holds true that the more distinctions, the more we see.

But what is more interesting is right in front of you.

You are reading telegraphic prose - known as electronic prose - because it is an electronic medium as opposed to a print medium.

Moving from print to the telegraph created a whole new tranche of distinctions.

And here they are right in front of you - and we always overlook what is right under our noses.

But the distinction between print and the telegraph opens up a whole new world.

And if we don't make the distinction, we are flying blind.
you digress, but ok

distinctions are good as a learning block but applied subjectively, they can cause much harm. learning to objectively differentiate is the key to life...from where i sit anyway