User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I don't think there's a need to question every single theoretically debatable belief.
    But that is just what science does.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But that is just what science does.
    Here's where the distinction between science and philosophy is important. Science looks to build our knowledge of the physical universe. Philosophy would question whether the world actually exists. To me, this philosophical question need not be addressed. I think science, and this conversation, depends on the assumption that the world does exist. We intuitively acknowledge this, and beating the issue to death can be counter-productive. There are limited numbers of minds and unlimited questions. We have to use triage to be most effective.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

There are limited numbers of minds and unlimited questions.
    We have more than six thousand million minds at the present moment.

And good questions are highly scarce.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

We have more than six thousand million minds at the present moment.

And good questions are highly scarce.
    There are 6 billion people. Not all have the resources to answer such questions, especially in advanced science. Not all even want to.

Say there are 900 trillion questions/things we don't know. Even if good questions are scarce in relation to this pool, there are still too many for humans as a race to achieve all useful knowledge. Which is why we should discriminate the questions we pursue. And the fact that you say good questions are rare leads me to think you actually agree.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

There are 6 billion people. Not all have the resources to answer such questions, especially in advanced science. Not all even want to.

Say there are 900 trillion questions/things we don't know. Even if good questions are scarce in relation to this pool, there are still too many for humans as a race to achieve all useful knowledge. Which is why we should discriminate the questions we pursue. And the fact that you say good questions are rare leads me to think you actually agree.
    Well, I would like to agree, after all I was once a Catholic altar boy myself, under the watchful eye of the infallible Pope.

Fortunately I avoided moving from the infallible Pope to the infallible Marx. And ended up a liberal democrat in Oz.

And my mother always told my sister and me that, "Little birds in their nests should agree".

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I wish my lack of faith wasn't a burden for the only people I care about. Religion kills.
    thats what kids who failed used to say till they started doing their homework.

How curious.

It is not an individual choice whether the people around me hear my voice. In fact if I am speaking, everyone around me can hear my voice.

But when He speaks, only self chosen individuals can hear his voice.

In the words of Alice - "Curiouser and curiouser".

when you speak, you use your mouth to make voices that can be perceived by the ear.

what a bat speaks cannot be heard by you...and yet we know that a bat DOES speak...thats how it finds its way. the bat dialect is only perceived by using special equipment...one that can catch ultrasonic frequencies

if your listening to FM 99.3, that doesnt mean that FM 100.4 doesn't exist...only that you are too busy listening to 99.3 to bother to tune into 100.4...cuz tuning into 100.4 takes effort...a few turns of the knob, adjusting the antenna...maybe your radio is so old, it doesnt even support 100.4

if you dont tune in to the right station, how do you expect to hear him?

comes down to perception and willingness to perceive, dont it

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    comes down to perception and willingness to perceive, dont it
    There's a lot of truth in this.

As we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

Words, for instance, are distinctions and the more words we know, the more we understand.

MBTI
    entp

There's a lot of truth in this.

As we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

Words, for instance, are distinctions and the more words we know, the more we understand.
    knowing more words dont mean shit, applying them to form a coherent sentence does.

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    knowing more words dont mean shit, applying them to form a coherent sentence does.
    And a sentence is simply a higher order distinction.

Just as a paragraph is a higher order distinction to a sentence.

And a chapter to a paragraph; and a book to a paragraph.

And it still holds true that the more distinctions, the more we see.

But what is more interesting is right in front of you.

You are reading telegraphic prose - known as electronic prose - because it is an electronic medium as opposed to a print medium.

Moving from print to the telegraph created a whole new tranche of distinctions.

And here they are right in front of you - and we always overlook what is right under our noses.

But the distinction between print and the telegraph opens up a whole new world.

And if we don't make the distinction, we are flying blind.

MBTI
    entp

And a sentence is simply a higher order distinction.

Just as a paragraph is a higher order distinction to a sentence.

And a chapter to a paragraph; and a book to a paragraph.

And it still holds true that the more distinctions, the more we see.

But what is more interesting is right in front of you.

You are reading telegraphic prose - known as electronic prose - because it is an electronic medium as opposed to a print medium.

Moving from print to the telegraph created a whole new tranche of distinctions.

And here they are right in front of you - and we always overlook what is right under our noses.

But the distinction between print and the telegraph opens up a whole new world.

And if we don't make the distinction, we are flying blind.
    you digress, but ok

distinctions are good as a learning block but applied subjectively, they can cause much harm. learning to objectively differentiate is the key to life...from where i sit anyway