User Tag List

123 Last

Default oes the earth have an expiration date?

I'm watching 2012 and I dont believe the fairly flimbsy story that if the planets align in a particular way the earth will fall to pieces but I got to ask is there any evidence to suggest that the earth or even the human species has an expiration date?

Does it change anything if it does?

MBTI
    INTJ

It does if you want people to buy your product.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Not in the near future (that is predictable - there could always be a random asteroid coming, the sun randomly exploding, nuclear holocaust, aliens invading, or whatever else you can dream of). If you throw god (or gods) into the mix there's another factor capable (presumably) of destroying the world. Otherwise there's the sun dying in however many millions of years.

What you're asking, no, I don't believe we have any knowledge suggesting that.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

It's not going anywhere.

I dont know how the D got dropped from Does but it did.

Yeah the Neutrinos (spelling) from the sun arent going to mess us up then? What about the decline of the male chromosone (spelling again) or even just insufficient diversity in the gene pool?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, the theories indicate that the sun will change over time, growing until the earth is destryed. That is most definite expairy date, I think. Certainly, you'll expire if you are hanging around at the time. However, it seems that changes in the heat output will kill most of the complex life in just 500 million years, so take that into account in your budgeting plans. Does it mater? I guess that depends on whether you think we mater and if we are still here. Personally, I'm egocentric enough to want my own species to survive and perpetuate, if only because I'm part of it.
    Last edited by Andy; 11-29-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Horrible typos.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Smile

For homo sapiens, the Earth doesn't have an expiration date, as we are a large multi-celled species, and such large multi-celled species have a very short evolutionary life span.

The Earth will last at least five thousand million years, and we have only been here for two hundred thousand years. And it is almost certain that homo sapiens will become extinct before the Earth expires.

MBTI
    INFP

Eventually, everything expires. That being said, it's very unlikely that humans will be around to witness the event that will end the world. We're weak, flimsy creatures with self-destructive tendencies. Earth on the other hand, is one tough motherfucker.

An asteroid impact severe enough to wipe out all life is just one of the many scenarios that could cause our demise, but this wouldn't mean the end of the world itself. According to the most popular hypothesis on the formation of the moon, a celestial body roughly the size of Mars crashed into Earth billions of years ago... In comparison: a celestial body with a diameter of a measly 10 miles could easily wipe out the human race, if it were to crash into Earth. It takes a lot more than a little mass extinction event to ruffle those feathers.

As for the planets aligning... i hardly think it will be the end of the world, but i am going to order one of these, just in case:

ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

One day the sun will expand and swallow us as part of it's life cycle. That's in several billion years. I wouldn't worry about it.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It'll happen sooner than the sun can become a red giant (that is on Sol's life cycle, right?). I don't think we'll be around long enough to inhabit Titan or one of the other outer planets or moons. Humans are incredibly self-destructive. Are we the only species that deliberately fouls its own nest...repeatedly? Smart enough to be selfishly self-destructive.