First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    One day the sun will expand and swallow us as part of it's life cycle. That's in several billion years. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yes, but I am optimistic that the human race will develop the technology to colonize other planets orbiting other stars and make living there habitable far before the sun's expiration date. That is, if we don't get killed off on planet Earth first.

Either humans die off as a species or we gradually evolve into another species no longer recognizable as homo sapiens.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm not sure if a planets core is the exact same as a stars, but if the atoms in the core eventually collide into each other (fusion) and all particles reach the heaviest they can (iron-Fe) then the earth itself will explode and we will become the elements that stars create when they fission. Of course I have no evidence and am using a star to compare us (earth), but if this isn't true for the earth, I know it's true for the sun and so yes eventually earth will end.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

The earth will end when it wants to...people can't decide that (unless they use the diplomatic force of several atomic explosions).

Expiration of Earth = Expiration of Sun is a definite. It could end earlier, but I'm not really sure how it would. It's pretty sturdy.

Smile Human Extinction

Homo sapiens has been here for two hundred thousand years, but gene sequencing has told us that one hundred thousand years ago we were down to a mere five thousand individuals. And this means very few breeding pairs. So five thousand years ago we were on the edge of extinction.

So as a species we have already been on the knife-edge of extinction, and this is the normal pattern for a large, multi-celled species.

Smile The Apocalypse and Revelations

The end of the Earth is called, "The Apocalypse". And the apocalypse is a religious concept expressed in my favourite and last book of the Bible called, "Revelations".

However it is people of the Book, who believe in the apocalypse because because books are linear and sequential with a beginning, a middle and an end. And so we conclude that as a book ends, so the Earth ends.

Spoken cultures are not linear and sequential rather they see the world as the eternal return. For spoken cultures see the world as recurring cycles without end.

So the people of the Book are fascinated by the end of the Earth, the apocalypse, because we are imbued with our religion of the Book - even our atheists.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

You can still eat food after it's passed its expiration date. It's just not as good for you. Earth is kind of the same way.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    You can still eat food after it's passed its expiration date. It's just not as good for you. Earth is kind of the same way.
    That's an interesting idea... i once found a meatball in the fridge that looked very much like Earth, all blue and green and with its own ecosystem. Does this mean that our planet has already expired and this is why the human race is so sick in many ways?
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalonimbus View Post
    That's an interesting idea... i once found a meatball in the fridge that looked very much like Earth, all blue and green and with its own ecosystem. Does this mean that our planet has already expired and this is why the human race is so sick in many ways?
    Possibly, we could easily just be those little bugs that go after your rotting meatball after a while, but if you do anything drastic to that meatball, they'll all go running.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalonimbus View Post
    I don't think we can say the Earth has expired until the world population starts to decline.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I'm not sure if a planets core is the exact same as a stars, but if the atoms in the core eventually collide into each other (fusion) and all particles reach the heaviest they can (iron-Fe) then the earth itself will explode and we will become the elements that stars create when they fission. Of course I have no evidence and am using a star to compare us (earth), but if this isn't true for the earth, I know it's true for the sun and so yes eventually earth will end.
    Planet cores don't have the energy necessary for nuclear fusion. They are usually hot due to the rotation of the planet and the decay of heavier elements.

See...once a star reaches Fe in its fusion cycle, the binding energy is at its maximum. To fuse Fe into anything more heavy requires energy input. That's what supernovae produce.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.