• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's necessary to live an interesting life?

Lark

What do you think is necessary to living an interesting life? Wealth? Friends? Romance? Crisis? Luck?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Interesting is in the eye of the beholder.
What makes my life interesting would probably bore 98% of the population.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
condoms?

Or if you mean the chinese curse: No condoms.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
More seriously, I like the term "eudaimonia" (greek)
It's not happiness it's more like, the best 'shape' for YOUR life. It's a more self referent and introspective thing than happiness, and it's not just the result but the process to get to it.
But it's also not so narrowly defined as to limit the possibilities offered to oneself, or to teach them how to choose.

At least that's my take on it. But that's exactly what it's about, I think. Or at least I decided so. Just now.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^ Seriously, a little faith. That's it.

Faith is the codependant weakling's version of strength. It's fear driven.
And promotes ignorance over knowledge for the sake of giving the illusion of reduced risks/increased control.

rav3n

Depends. Is this internal or an external perception?

Internally, seek what you find interesting and don't be afraid to do it.

External perception will usually include the unusual, risky, inability to have done what you've done therefore the ability to live vicariously through your experiences without the risk of downside.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Faith is the codependant weakling's version of strength. It's fear driven.
And promotes ignorance over knowledge for the sake of giving the illusion of reduced risks/increased control.

Blind faith, yes.

If faith is defined "The assured expectation of things not yet realized" then the user has both educated themselves and an understanding that they aren't in the driver's seat.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Blind faith, yes.

That is redundant, faith is blind by nature, while beliefs are based on empirical data. Then it all depends on how strongly you need a belief to be backed by data to qualify the belief as 'usable'.
More accurately you have proof, but this only applies to systems with perfect information, basically.
Then belief, which is the middle ground, knowing that you don't know everything but still basing the jugment on a set of empirical data and sets of technics we developped (repeatability, parcimony etc. to cite a few)
Then faith, that isn't based on other data than how someone feels about it or how much someone wants something to be true as it'd be in his emotional and or physical interest.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think never ceasing to expand your horizons leads to an interesting life. It's when we become motionless and enter auto-pilot mode - whether that is in action or in mental/intellectual endeavors - that we begin to stagnate and our mind will start closing out anything new.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That is redundant, faith is blind by nature, while beliefs are based on empirical data. Then it all depends on how strongly you need a belief to be backed by data to qualify the belief as 'usable'.
More accurately you have proof, but this only applies to systems with perfect information, basically.
Then belief, which is the middle ground, knowing that you don't know everything but still basing the jugment on a set of empirical data and sets of technics we developped (repeatability, parcimony etc. to cite a few)
Then faith, that isn't based on other data than how someone feels about it or how much someone wants something to be true as it'd be in his emotional and or physical interest.

Did you catch my edit?

If faith is defined "The assured expectation of things not yet realized" then the user has both educated themselves and an understanding that they aren't in the driver's seat.

There's blind faith and then there's faith with something behind it.

I think you are overanalyzing it, though. Do you need perfect information to notice if someone or something's reliable? All you need is enough to be convinced yourself.

I don't think it's bad to recognize my need to have faith in something bigger than better than myself.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think we look to external factors to bring us happiness when infact all along it is within us.

Interesting could be perceived as sadness and loss, for from these ashes brings courage and strength.
It could be perceived as wealth but again this material wealth may only come when internal wealth is accomplished.

Hmmm.