User Tag List

First 56789 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    This is interesting too. Off topic, but interesting.
    This too.

I'm not sure; how many of you people are actually into computers? Or the brain?

I hope my posts aren't too esoteric.
    DNA computing... interesting. I would like to know what exactly are they using the DNA for other than info storage... However isn't a system with 4 bases automatically stores more info than something in base 2 in a given length of sequence? The question I don't get is how exactly does it speed up processing rate? By reducing length of inputs and outputs? o_O I don't think I'm getting this correctly...

I'm into brain/psychology... computers I'm less familiar with, although I find some things to be interesting as well.

Upon deeper inspection of this idea we share, I hold that it would be a near hopeless endeavor, not because it would be impossible to analyze the routes of the neurons, but rather that every slice would be so different that we'd have hardship trying to get each one to work on the same language.
    Well, we're not trying to build a brain from scratch. If you're going to do that, you're better off getting a bunch of neurons and figuring out how to hook them up the way you want them to using neurotransmitters, growth factors and attractants. That's still beyond the levels of current science but that's besides the point. All we're trying to say here is that the brain can be a type of computer. So we really would only need to make one that models parallel processing by connecting multiple simple circuits together. A big mess, but still it's an interesting idea. Actually, we don't really need to build it. Why not use a computer program to model the system? Simulation of a simple neural network has been done before I think So the only thing missing would be the physical components that make up this system.

Hmmm now how do you get a simulation to make a decision? Wait... the main difference between a brain and a computer is the degree of self awareness... minus that... self-programming. I don't see how that's not simulatable... the travelling salesman problem... solvable by a program that mimics behavior of ants. Is that not self-learning? *scratches head* Maybe not... hmmm

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Who said anything about robots?

This is not about robots or AI. It's about computers.
    Doesn't change anything, but you don't think AI is a relevant topic in discussing whether the brain makes calculations like a computer does, and vice versa, whether a computer makes (or can make) calculations like a brain does?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Doesn't change anything, but you don't think AI is a relevant topic in discussing whether the brain makes calculations like a computer does, and vice versa, whether a computer makes (or can make) calculations like a brain does?
    do you think it's theoretically possible to replicate each routine (function) in the human body, and instantiate those routines in a computer? if so, would the computer be any different (excluding processing speed/material)?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    do you think it's theoretically possible to replicate each routine (function) in the human body, and instantiate those routines in a computer? if so, would the computer be any different (excluding processing speed/material)?
    Can we build a perfect human body from scratch? Your guess is as good as mine.

I've posted this before (in BlueWing's blog, I think).

This book is an interesting read:
    On Intelligence

The hypothesis of what the "cortical algorithm" is seems very plausible to me.

The essence is that that the neocortex (for computational purposes) is a hierarchical neural-network organized as an associative memory.

There is even a dedicated forum on the On intelligence website.

See also: computational neuroscience

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yes. It does. AI is intended to mimic human behavior. Computers are not.

It's my speculation that computers DO mimic human behavior by accidental projection, where because we're concentrating on making a carbon copy of the human mind with AI, we screw up because we don't know enough about it. There's a great difference.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Can we build a perfect human body from scratch? Your guess is as good as mine.
    We did it with a rats heart. I think with enough research and study, we'd be able to do the same with any organism.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

This is interesting too. Off topic, but interesting.
    This too.

I'm not sure; how many of you people are actually into computers? Or the brain?

I hope my posts aren't too esoteric.
    Dr. Quantum

Observe the video. It's somewhat comparable to the notion that when being directly observed, whatever is being observed, changes its behavior. Or at least that our perceptions are faulty to begin with.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP

Observe the video. It's somewhat comparable to the notion that when being directly observed, whatever is being observed, changes its behavior. Or at least that our perceptions are faulty to begin with.
    I changed the behavior of a youtube video! (Or I have faulty perception.)
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

We did it with a rats heart. I think with enough research and study, we'd be able to do the same with any organism.
    It wasn't built from scratch, though. It was built for organic matter and genes. We didn't build the genes, nor the cells.