User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESFJ

I understand the need for rules in society but they can potentially constrain us .. I respect the people to dare to step outside the box even if they are viewed upon as rebel rouses, anarchists etc .. I think ultimately you can make a point but you have to do it in such a way (thinking V for Vendetta).
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Aside from my own internal network of ethics, I don't appraciate or really care for the external rules of society. In fact, I often loathe the external rules of society, especially if the rules seem unfair to me or are followed far too strictly. But don't get the wrong idea, I'm not some chaotic/violent person because i don't follow societies set of rules, Its just that because of my highly ethical and kind nature that I beleive I really don't need to conform to any external set of rules.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a principles based person. Rules change, principles don't. If you understand the underlying principles of the rules, it makes the rules easier to understand, and in some cases helps you see where you can ease up on following the rule itself.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you consciously choose to live with or without rules? Do you consider transgressing rules or living without or in defiance of rules to be legit philosophical questions?
    I don't have definite rules, because there are too many variables in the situation I should apply these rules in. I also believe that making rules limits the way you think and makes you more black-and-white. It seems to work like this always, so I try to keep my flexibility by not having anything set in stone. I do have guidelines and strong "preferences", I even think I am ethical, but I try to always keep in mind that there are no absolutes.

MBTI
    INTJ

Rules are for games, they should only be followed when you've got the goal of succeeding in the framework they create.

So, if you want to play Hockey you've got to follow the rules (to an extent) or you'll be kicked off the ice.

If you want to be a lawyer you've got to follow them or you'll be kicked out of the courtroom.

If you want to live your life the only rule you have to follow is "don't die".

Laws are what you should be worrying about, and I don't mean those rules that call themselves laws the police will beat you up for breaking. I mean the ones that are determining your actions and (more importantly for practical application) their effects.

:P
    wails from the crypt.

Hail Diogenes!

MBTI
    INFP

Following self-imposed rules helps me to achieve long-term goals. If I didn't do it I might go for a quick gratification, not for what is prudent in the long run .
    Hot-hearted head

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Externally, without "rules" there would be no genuine freedom in society, as rules theoretically bring people to respect each others' rights regardless of differentials in power (i.e. justice).

Internally, there should be also rules (i.e. ethics). The aim of these are to ensure health/biological fitness or group survival, by providing guidelines to behavior which enable long term maximization of personal and group health. Internal rules that are logical and socially useful are related to psychological health - the absence of any logically consistent and practical internal rules would bring psychological instability or insecurity.

Internal rules are necessary to respect external rules. Indeed, without the former, you need to apply force (for example, by the police) so that the latter are respected. When there is a system with a disregard for external or internal rules (i.e. corrupted), then the systems' rules foster internal chaos and insecurity instead of order and stability.

Even if you were living alone on a desert island, you would need to infer yourself internal rules for survival, as to know what you can or cannot eat for example. Simply put, rules are the basis of any intelligent human activity and consist in derived principles from experience which enable future health. You could not live without rules without compromising your health.