User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I wish it were possible to detach "soul" and slip into new bodies. That would be sooooo cool. It'd be neat to see how people treat you differently.
    Isn't this what people do online??? On the internet no one knows you're [ a man / ugly / ISTJ / :-P ]

Actually the tale of the Greek soul-splitting reminded me of the Buddhist version...

In Buddhism it is believed that your soulmate is the same soul, only a more advanced (more reincarnated) version of yourself, because time is not temporal and multiple versions of the same soul can exist simultaneously. The mission for the older soul is to guide the younger soul through knowing was has already transgressed, and through the process the older soul reaches deeper understanding and attains enlightenment.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

The popular definition of "soul" is a misconcept based on poor understanding of religious texts. One could of course invent their own concepts and propagate them, but this soul thing really actually heavily relies on old texts.

Abrahamic religions, of which christianity is part of, actually present animal and people being souls. The scriptures actually make sense with that definition. Not that many people by the old definition though. The concept of some ethereal spirit is a lot more mystical.

Anyways, I have most of the male and female traits in my mind, but just the behavior of a male. I don't think that everyone who has atypical male brain, for example, has to go gay or something. Free for everyone to do what they wish, though. I just think that I've got it figured out just well. I've liked to attach to people and things like a female would, I've liked to explore my feelings like a female would, I've wanted to engineer and systemize like a male would, and I've wanted to control and deal with things like a male would. I really can't understand how my female traits could ever have resulted in any further than that. I think that one's "brain settings" or preferences don't really have to have anything to do with one's social identity. One's social identity and how their brain works are separate. Or, perhaps if one is really reliant of fitting in, then one desires to identify with the gender that best matches with one's own brain structure.

Edit: I have to clarify a bit. I have no real information of the girl-in-a-guys-body experience or the other way around, so that's not what I'm speaking of. What I am speaking of is this: not everyone with the usual brain gender atypicality should need to experience any troubles with it. As many as 10% of each gender has atypical brains for their gender. It's quite a usual condition and shouldn't result in any trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was avoiding saying much, but my general thoughts are along Sanntu's lines.

Speaking of a "soul" as some actual, distinct entity attached to (rather than included as part of) the body seems to be a pretty big leap. We have no evidence such a thing exists. But it's an extremely popular idea, since it ties into the desire of life after death and the most obvious way for such a thing to exist.

Likewise, a lot of the "gendered stuff" here just seems to be how one aligns with social notions of cultural gender. Men and women who instinctively accept and perceive themselves as said men and women, who might be noting that they possess attributes that align more with the other gender in their cultural setting -- such as what is exemplified in the Yin/Yang concept (and no one is all Yin or all Yang).

For example, guys who have some degree of sentimentality aren't necessarily women, and despite sentimentality they might still totally scan as male; my FIL is a clear-cut ISTJ, but he can be very sentimental (and cry at holiday family gatherings) without it reflecting anything at all about his gender or making him read as less male.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

lol I was waiting for someone to go Judith Butler on me.

Just because gender is culturally constructed doesn't make it less "real" in our everyday sense.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

My soul would be male, because I don't understand other women at all. I don't understand men either, but they're still easier to get. If my soul was a person, I think it would be Voldemort, a chain smoking version.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I grew up in a religion that taught the soul is just another word for 'entity'. I understand the concept of a soul, but it really doesn't resonate with me. I think of spirit as female, not my own, but everyones. I have no idea where the association came from.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Deep down.. in the absolute depth and core of my being.. Female. It doesn't matter how heavily I attempt to mask it with a 'male' musk.
    I'd say my basis comes across as more 'male' to those who don't know me well and who are on the outside of who I associate with. As for myself and the people I care about, I'd say the 'female' aspect is blaringly obvious. Maybe. Either that, or my Fe keeps showing.

It would likely be better if I asked those select people.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I am such a girl. When I was little I had pink bedroom walls. Even when I was a senior in high school one of my friend's moms rolled her eyes because my bedroom decor was so feminine. I can't fathom being anything other than female.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
    Isn't this what people do online??? On the internet no one knows you're [ a man / ugly / ISTJ / :-P ]

Actually the tale of the Greek soul-splitting reminded me of the Buddhist version...

In Buddhism it is believed that your soulmate is the same soul, only a more advanced (more reincarnated) version of yourself, because time is not temporal and multiple versions of the same soul can exist simultaneously. The mission for the older soul is to guide the younger soul through knowing was has already transgressed, and through the process the older soul reaches deeper understanding and attains enlightenment.
    Fuck. I had no idea I was an ugly male ISTJ with narcissistic tendencies. D;

Nah, but in all seriousness, I would hope to think that my soul was asexual and embodied something more substantial than arbitrary feminine or masculine traits...which actually makes me want to argue the point of what's seen as masculine or feminine, since much of what we consider masculine or feminine is culturally based.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
    lol I was waiting for someone to go Judith Butler on me.

Just because gender is culturally constructed doesn't make it less "real" in our everyday sense.

Okay I'm quoting myself here because there seems to be similarity in the criticism, and it's better that I expound.

When I say that I am drawn to female souls, I am alluding to what I feel is at someone's core. If I take it apart and try to understand it outside of myself, I am probably just drawn to givers--because I am a greedy bastard. And yes, perhaps this is a cultural construction, and we can further this discussion ad infinitum with all the poststructuralist language we want. But just because what we understand to be "male" and "female" is part of our shared imagination does not make it any less real than even the construct of the soul itself--which some have also pointed out is also a kind of imaginative fixture. Even the notion of "objectivity" is itself a cultural construct arising from the institution of science that claims to be value-free. To disregard man's or woman's "essence" because the definition is fluid and subject to socio-historical context is silly. Our shared, and dare I say fallacious, consciousness is equally as real as something that is "real".