First 234

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, love your neighbors means love them as yourself (equally to yourself) not better than yourself.

If you love yourself you can forgive yourself. People who are filled with self-hatred often can't learn to forgive themselves or others for making mistakes.

I really don't see how you could confuse self-love with not being realistic about one's flaws, or resisting self improvement. Totally different things.

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No, love your neighbors means love them as yourself (equally to yourself) not better than yourself.

If you love yourself you can forgive yourself. People who are filled with self-hatred often can't learn to forgive themselves or others for making mistakes.

I really don't see how you could confuse self-love with not being realistic about one's flaws, or resisting self improvement. Totally different things.
    There's certainly more than one way to look at it (I'm not religious myself) but from a biblical perspective it is not that way. See Philippians 2:3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." So from a biblical perspective all sin is ultimately against God and that can only be forgiven by God.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    There's certainly more than one way to look at it (I'm not religious myself) but from a biblical perspective it is not that way. See Philippians 2:3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." So from a biblical perspective all sin is ultimately against God and that can only be forgiven by God.
    Selfish ambition and vain conceit are akin to narcissism, or at least placing yourself above others, and have nothing to do with healthy self-love.

The Bible commands people to forgive one another. I'm not religious either, but frankly I think forgiveness is one of the few things that will save humanity from destroying itself. Inability to forgive self and to forgive others seems like the root of a lot of violence, pain, and destruction.

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The Bible commands people to forgive one another. I'm not religious either, but frankly I think forgiveness is one of the few things that will save humanity from destroying itself. Inability to forgive self and to forgive others seems like the root of a lot of violence, pain, and destruction.
    I agree, totally. That brings up an interesting point, though. If immorality of some kind is unavoidable (due to human ignorance) is it more important for us to be more moral or finding a better way of responding to it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Again, I don't see a distinction between self-interest and morality. If morality is a measure of how we behave towards others, and someone's self interest is to be "morally upstanding", where is the disconnect? I'm not sure I understand.
    Virtue Ethicists would say that. They would say that it should be in everyones self interest to be moral therefore there is no disconnection.