User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The nature of forum communication

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I can see the benefit of using argumentation as a method of mental exercise. In that instance, the intent of the communication is shifted from the transfer of information and learning to mental exercise and sport. However, I take issue with this sport being used in place of pure debate and when it is presented as a means to come to some sort of decision or achieve some sort of enlightenment. I guess it just doesn't sit well to think that a fallacious conclusion could be reached simply because someone has a better grasp of rhetoric.
    Yes, I suppose that the best solution would be to state the purpose of the thread, as you have. It’s generally understood, for instance, that a corporate board meeting is organized for decision making and that entertainment isn’t the goal. However, it’s difficult for me to see how all but the most minor and immediate of non-decision-based arguments can be used to achieve any sort of enlightenment. Most of the issues that people debate about on the Internet have been discussed by philosophers for centuries or are still being debated by the greatest minds in science and politics today. It doesn’t seem likely that any meaningful, objective conclusion will be reached by discussing it in a 5 page thread on an Internet forum.

As long as it’s clear that no one’s going to come out of these threads rivaling Nietzsche or even exiting as an expert on the subject of any sort, it seems that the primary intent should be to simply have fun with it. And these are the relatively serious topics. There are the debates that are really out there that I couldn’t take seriously even if I tried
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

'What is the forum for', is an interesting question.

I answer it myself by saying that I am here for personal growth. Or in other words I am here to learn about myself. So I take risks and see what happens.

This is a tolerant site so it is a good place to take risks.

So what have I learnt?

I have learnt the most important thing is flow. Just to keep posting every day and taking risks every day.

And I find I like to surprise myself with what I write.

Of course my main psychological defence is intellectualism which I use like a shield as I make my emotional forays. The Spartans had an oak shield with a big red V on the front, well, I have a capital V on the front of my name.

Of course I have fantasies of finding a kindred spirit or of convincing everyone of my point of view. But my fantasies are soon dashed and I am thrown back on myself. So I get back on my good horse, Rosinante, and charge off in search of the next fantastic windmill.

And of course charging windmills is itself a fantastic exercise, and every time I am unseated, I learn something about myself.

Sometimes I think there must be easier ways to learn such as structured spiritual practice. But I guess my practice is here everyday.

They say that 10,000 hours of practice are necessary to become a master, well I am a bit over halfway at 6,000.