User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 61

  1. #41
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    The reasons given are pretty rational but I still don't get it. Everyone (save psychopaths and sociopaths) have a built in empathy for others as well as a conscience that guides their sense of right and wrong. How is it that these reasons (desire for power, insecurity etc) override such strong evolutionary instincts so easily?

    I often wonder if others actually feel empathy (and hear the voice of their conscience) to the same extent I do, because if they do, I have NO IDEA how they ignore it.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  2. #42
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I often wonder if others actually feel empathy (and hear the voice of their conscience) to the same extent I do, because if they do, I have NO IDEA how they ignore it.
    It's not only empathy that guides you, it's your own wisdom aswell. There are people on this world to whom pain are things you'ld laugh about. And: "try pain for example" is my answer to your question.

    You can neither accept reason nor empathy from this world, nor anything else. That's the challenge in meeting crazy people
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    After some time has passed I'd like to re-visit this thread and make the point that sometimes what looks "mean" isn't even "mean" but it just perceived that way.

    Also sometimes I am meaner with people when I think they need to learn something and softness isn't going prompt them in any way.

    I think hardness is necessary in life, even if you aren't at your core a cruel or sadistic person. Sometimes you have to wake up and smell the coffee. In the long run a "mean" person could be doing you a favor - giving you a type of strength to face things that are truly awful in the world.

  4. #44
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    After some time has passed I'd like to re-visit this thread and make the point that sometimes what looks "mean" isn't even "mean" but it just perceived that way.

    Also sometimes I am meaner with people when I think they need to learn something and softness isn't going prompt them in any way.

    I think hardness is necessary in life, even if you aren't at your core a cruel or sadistic person. Sometimes you have to wake up and smell the coffee. In the long run a "mean" person could be doing you a favor - giving you a type of strength to face things that are truly awful in the world.
    I disagree. If you say hardness is necessary sometimes for people to learn something you are just not able to teach em in a soft way.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #45
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    No. Some people are too soft for their own good, like it seems they can barely handle life. God forbid something truly bad happen to them, they'd flounder like a fish or have to have someone else take care of them or die in a ditch.

    Being hard and resourceful are survival skills that people should have, though of course no one should have to live that way full-time, or be expected to act that way regularly.

  6. #46
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    selfish goals are the thing that made most bad people mean
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #47
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No. Some people are too soft for their own good, like it seems they can barely handle life. God forbid something truly bad happen to them, they'd flounder like a fish or have to have someone else take care of them or die in a ditch.

    Being hard and resourceful are survival skills that people should have, though of course no one should have to live that way full-time, or be expected to act that way regularly.
    I agree...although some people I would say are truly...'misguided' in terms of how they treat others, thus interpreted as mean-spirited at times, it seems a number of people are just pussies.

  8. #48
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    pussies ohhkeee
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #49
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    pussies ohhkeee
    Haha, perv...I meant the ones in marm's avatar.

  10. #50
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I just really think the spelling which every young generation has once in his life like "to know life is to be hard" is wrong. I know especially f's types are high on that but then again, it's always the "told you earlier" situation. I think it's important to keep our f's naive because I know that naivete is the entry card to open-mindedness but on the same time I think that it is important aswell to learn live and that sometimes the hard way. But sticking with the hard way later on that cant be the thing. I dont want to tell my kids that they have to use their guns and not only polish them, I think there are ways more clever to achieve ones goals
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. Why are people so ashamed of themselves?
    By Elfboy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  2. Why are people so rude?
    By Laurie in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
  3. Why are people changing their names?
    By Synarch in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 05:28 AM
  4. Why are people superstitious?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
  5. Why are people always stuck on one dichotomy?
    By Ezra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO