Default Share your most life changing faith moment

Share your most life changing faith moment:

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

The time where I messed up taking the eucharist when I was 10 at my grandmother's church, and the priest threw it in my face and basically condemned me to hell...that changed from faith to no faith very quickly.

MBTI
    ISTx

MBTI
    ISTx

No offense to anyone that partakes in communion...

MBTI
    ISFJ

I guess it was when I started noticing that going to the church was just plain old boring and I didn't get anything out of it. I went to sunday school even, I discussed with others about religion and never once felt like it was making me a better person. I realized why people, why my family was christian in the first place....indoctrination. When I made the parallel between what was taught at school (and realized it could and should be questioned a lot of the time) and at sunday school and saw how mechanically people professed to be christian.

I understood doing good to one another and all that...and I figured that if there was a God he wouldn't care if I was preaching his word or went to church or even believed in him...as long as I was a stand up guy. And I always felt like I was a stand up guy for the most part.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Learning that Santa Claus was a lie.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Smile The Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    Share your most life changing faith moment:
    Australians have a laid back religious practice that we take part in on the weekend.

And for this religious practice we have created the most beautiful cathedrals in the world.

For every weekend we quietly and unobtrusively go bush walking in the most glorious national parks.

Our Royal National Park is the second oldest national park in the world. And our newest is the Monga National Park, just down the road from me. It is of exquisite transcendent beauty, that has a life and voice of its own. I can hear it calling to me now.

Yes, bush walking is a calling. It is the bush calling to our very soul. And we answer, for we can't help ourselves - our very feet are led by the smells, the touches and tastes and music of the bush, until we can't help ourselves and we become one with the bush.

MBTI
    ENTP

For me it was becoming a monist.

My religion teacher told us about monism: the idea that everything is made out of matter, without any spirits or any non-physical things. Even thoughts were electric signals and, as such, made of electrons. I was scared. I asked him if it was true. He reassured me, but I think he never realized why I was so shocked. I didn't realize it myself at that time.
    I actually wanted to forget that lesson, to unhear it. Because, to know about monism, meant I had to think about it. I wanted to know why I intuitively rejected it. I wanted to reject it, to keep on believing in spirits, but now that I knew of some alternative, I needed an argument... and probably I was afraid of not finding one.

I thought for three or four days about it, agonizing and really going deep whenever I could.

I could not accept that thoughts, feelings, imagination and love were made of mere matter, were subject to ordinary and simple laws of nature I could understand, such as gravity or electricity. But what of the alternative? If there was another sort of stuff, spirit stuff let's say, that made up those things, that spirit stuff certainly interacted with matter. If it interacted with matter, we could measure its interaction and derive the laws of nature which governed spirit stuff. But then spirit stuff was not different from matter! The only difference I could see was that we knew and understood (for a part) the laws that governed ordinary matter; and we didn't know the ones of the spirit stuff.
    And it was crucial that these laws would stay unknown. Otherwise spirit stuff and matter were of the same kind and we should better call it all matter. As I am a scientist, I couldn't accept some rule which says people mustn't try to understand something.

I had painted myself in a corner and I knew it. Whether known or unknown, things like thoughts, emotions, imagination (always a big one for me)... obeyed laws of nature. Like matter does.

I thought I had the choice between two alternatives. Either spiritual things were made of mere matter and, love and such didn't really exist; or there had to be some superior spiritual stuff but that meant there was a realm of reality we couldn't (Shouldn't? Mustn't?) investigate. There is a mistake in the reasoning and I converted once I saw it. "Mere" matter? If love is made of chemicals, like a tree, that doesn't mean love is less worth than I thought. It means chemicals are more worth than I thought. It means love is as real as a tree.

So if there is only one thing I will be able to convince you of, let it be this:

Matter is awesome stuff. It can make up stars and rainbows and chocolate ice-cream. It can make up eyes and taste buds able to take in input from stars, rainbows and chocolate ice-cream. It can make up nerves to relay the input and brains wired to enjoy it. It's awesome stuff.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Tie a poem to a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    For me it was becoming a monist.

My religion teacher told us about monism: the idea that everything is made out of matter, without any spirits or any non-physical things. Even thoughts were electric signals and, as such, made of electrons. I was scared. I asked him if it was true. He reassured me, but I think he never realized why I was so shocked. I didn't realize it myself at that time.
    I actually wanted to forget that lesson, to unhear it. Because, to know about monism, meant I had to think about it. I wanted to know why I intuitively rejected it. I wanted to reject it, to keep on believing in spirits, but now that I knew of some alternative, I needed an argument... and probably I was afraid of not finding one.

I thought for three or four days about it, agonizing and really going deep whenever I could.

I could not accept that thoughts, feelings, imagination and love were made of mere matter, were subject to ordinary and simple laws of nature I could understand, such as gravity or electricity. But what of the alternative? If there was another sort of stuff, spirit stuff let's say, that made up those things, that spirit stuff certainly interacted with matter. If it interacted with matter, we could measure its interaction and derive the laws of nature which governed spirit stuff. But then spirit stuff was not different from matter! The only difference I could see was that we knew and understood (for a part) the laws that governed ordinary matter; and we didn't know the ones of the spirit stuff.
    And it was crucial that these laws would stay unknown. Otherwise spirit stuff and matter were of the same kind and we should better call it all matter. As I am a scientist, I couldn't accept some rule which says people mustn't try to understand something.

I had painted myself in a corner and I knew it. Whether known or unknown, things like thoughts, emotions, imagination (always a big one for me)... obeyed laws of nature. Like matter does.

I thought I had the choice between two alternatives. Either spiritual things were made of mere matter and, love and such didn't really exist; or there had to be some superior spiritual stuff but that meant there was a realm of reality we couldn't (Shouldn't? Mustn't?) investigate. There is a mistake in the reasoning and I converted once I saw it. "Mere" matter? If love is made of chemicals, like a tree, that doesn't mean love is less worth than I thought. It means chemicals are more worth than I thought. It means love is as real as a tree.

So if there is only one thing I will be able to convince you of, let it be this:

Matter is awesome stuff. It can make up stars and rainbows and chocolate ice-cream. It can make up eyes and taste buds able to take in input from stars, rainbows and chocolate ice-cream. It can make up nerves to relay the input and brains wired to enjoy it. It's awesome stuff.
    The Incarnation is God becoming flesh. So the spirit and the flesh are one. At one level this is profoundly and deeply poetic, and at the rational level, it makes no sense.

And there are so many on Central who keep on saying that poetry makes no sense to them. And I believe this is true.

But I tell them to tie a poem to a chair and torture it until it reveals the truth to them.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I became agnostic just by doing some long hard thinking on things. Like the inherent unfairness in society and all the bad things that happen to good people. How some people live a very happy life and know no struggle while others no nothing but war and starvation. Or how there's all these religions and if you believe in some other religion you're going to hell. Its thoughts like that, which make me question the existence of a God. Or if there is a God, it isn't necessarily a merciful or forgiving one.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne