User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your most life changing faith moment

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The Incarnation is God becoming flesh. So the spirit and the flesh are one. At one level this is profoundly and deeply poetic, and at the rational level, it makes no sense.
    I'm afraid you don't really understand what monism is about. It's not "spirit and flesh are one", it's "there are no separate spirits". It means that, when the molecules of my brain rearrange themselves, when the neurons decay, thought and emotion aren't there anymore either. Mind and individuality is like a house of legoes. When you take the house apart, you have only legoes and no house any more. That's the scary part - there is nothing that lives on. Matter rearranges itself and creates new things.

Some poems make no sense. Some are even made to make no sense and are praised for it. Others are beautiful and meaningful at the same time. Incarnation? No... give me rather the dance of the planets around the sun.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Some poems make no sense. Some are even made to make no sense and are praised for it. Others are beautiful and meaningful at the same time.
    And in between there is Victor.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Smile Sharing the Hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And in between there is Victor.
    This is true. I have always loved the hiatus. I have always loved the break, the in between.

For years I loved Orientation Week, the break between school and university, but I always called it Disorientation Week.

And for even longer I loved university because it was a break between school and work.

And I have always loved the break between the inner and the outer, between the introvert and the extrovert.

And I love the break between sleeping and waking, called the hypnogogic trance.

And so I came to love trances in general because in a trance we are half awake and half asleep. And I even designed two trances myself.

And of course I love the break between male and female and the dance of love that brings us together.

My eyes sparkle as I leave one shore but have not yet reached the other.

And I have come to understand we perceive by making distinctions. And a distinction is nothing but a break.

And so I love the break between birth and death and sharing this hiatus with you.

468 sx/sp

That thing that arranges the lego house, blows it down, makes something else? (the dewdrop slips into the shining sea) That's God. IMO.

I don't know if I've had one most powerful moment, but I’ve had countless small ones.

Enjoying beauty of leaves in the autumn, of the buds in the spring, of an evening snowfall, of a summer’s morning. Gazing upward inside a cathedral. Being with someone I love and realizing how deep my feelings for them are. Pausing before a meal. Singing hymns with other people. Swimming. When I am really sad or upset and I feel a sense of peace... etc.

I just feel grateful to be alive, and blessed by all that the world has to offer. And I want to share that with others.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

4w5 sp/sx

I have one of these types of events about once every 3 years on average, and after everyone I become an ever so slightly more realized person. The last one is when when I said 'screw it' to nihilism and decided to embrace the ideas in which the world make sense to me. It's not worth being factually rational when you're living everyday in a state of cognitive dissonance.

A couple: When I was very young, probably 3rd or 4th grade, I used to stay up nights terrified of the idea of nothing after death, and I'd try to imagine it (though I couldn't and knew as much). Around 5th grade, I realized one day how ridiculous that is to worry about (and impossible to conceptualize), even if it is so.

A couple years later I was on the edge of losing my faith. I decided to look for some kind of vague sign or meaning for a week or two before I let it go, more out of uncertainty and even concern than anything reasonable (faith is very reassuring, for whatever else it is). During this time, one morning on the way to school I saw one of the most beautiful early morning skylines I'd ever seen, and thought maybe that was it. Then I realized I'd seen mornings like that before, that I may even be playing it up solely because I was looking for something, and that it didn't really mean anything special. That was the first time I ever considered myself a proper agnostic.

Since then, I've moved closer to atheism, currently I am an atheistic agnostic and have been for some time.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar

I've had a couple of big ones.

Being saved. Sophmore in High School. At Young Life camp in NC over the summer.

Coming out on top of depression this year and figuring out what I want to do has greatly strengthened and reaffirmed my faith.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

watching people's desperate prayers and hopes be dashed... what sort of sick bastard of a God would DO something like that
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Nothing instant, that's for sure. Over time I've just been hearing debates for and against god and the supernatural and eventually I came to the conclusion that they are squared circles. If you hear a rumor about something, to conclude if that rumor is true you will need real evidence. All people who value truth think this way... It's a simple and effective line of reasoning. The supernatural is a rumor and is above natural laws and nature itself (all we know to exist). Since it's above the natural world, we can't test or prove it, and if we could prove it it would no longer be supernatural. Using the perspective of possibility is ineffective also, because an idea won't prove anything, except the idea.