User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    This "unnerving" truth has been apparent to me for a long, long time.

How have you dealt with it?
    By telling myself I've already done it, which is actually true. (I've, in this case, representing the Point of View)

It's been apparent to me for a long time as well; even when I had little thought of religious ideology, I had a fascination for the concept of reincarnation (in fact, due to me being raised in a secular household, I learned about Polytheistic myths and reincarnation before Monotheistic religions and modern constructs).
    Last edited by Alea_iacta_est; 03-16-2014 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Elaboration

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    By telling myself I've already done it, which is actually true. (I've, in this case, representing the point of view)

It's been apparent to me for a long time as well; even when I had little thought of religious ideology, I had a fascination for the concept of reincarnation (in fact, due to me being raised in a secular household, I learned about Polytheistic myths and reincarnation before Monotheistic religions and modern constructs).
    I see we have similar backgrounds.

And yes, even though I am aware that I have been here countless times before, and that I have experienced a countless, countless number of experiences, and will forever continue to do so, it still troubles me deeply! Haha.

The greatest weight. -- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence -- even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: "You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine"

From Nietzsche's The Gay Science, §341

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

I think its a shame people don't believe in religion. Why bother living?

Socionics
    ILI

I see we have similar backgrounds.

And yes, even though I am aware that I have been here countless times before, and that I have experienced a countless, countless number of experiences, and will forever continue to do so, it still troubles me deeply! Haha.

The greatest weight. -- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence -- even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: "You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine"

From Nietzsche's The Gay Science, §341
    It still troubles me deeply as well, but to know that we have already finished those lives already appeals to me in some way, as if it won't be so bad.

Curiously, I find myself fascinated that we would technically be the same entity. I will live your life at one point and you will live my life at some point, and we will cross paths with ourselves (which is truthfully one entity, the Point of View). For those not akin to the Point of View, it is the assertion that one literal point of view (reference frame, i.e. "I am the only one that is truly awake") is experienced at one time but paradoxically at the exact same time as the same Point of View reintegrating into existence from other entities due to the lack of time and its influence during the reintegration through the Nonexistence paradox. Essentially, the Point of View is the only conscious entity that can only be conscious at one specific time, but since it reintegrates back into existence in any point in time and space, the Point of View can interact with future/past/pseudo-present forms of the Point of View. The Point of View is the only conscious entity alive at one time, but the Point of View is ultimately ubiquitous in its solitude. (sorry for my tangent).

I like that Nietzsche paragraph very much.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    It still troubles me deeply as well, but to know that we have already finished those lives already appeals to me in some way, as if it won't be so bad.

Curiously, I find myself fascinated that we would technically be the same entity. I will live your life at one point and you will live my life at some point, and we will cross paths with ourselves (which is truthfully one entity, the Point of View). For those not akin to the Point of View, it is the assertion that one literal point of view (reference frame, i.e. "I am the only one that is truly awake") is experienced at one time but paradoxically at the exact same time as the same Point of View reintegrating into existence from other entities due to the lack of time and its influence during the reintegration through the Nonexistence paradox. Essentially, the Point of View is the only conscious entity that can only be conscious at one specific time, but since it reintegrates back into existence in any point in time and space, the Point of View can interact with future/past/pseudo-present forms of the Point of View. The Point of View is the only conscious entity alive at one time, but the Point of View is ultimately ubiquitous in its solitude. (sorry for my tangent).

I like that Nietzsche paragraph very much.
    If you find a way out of this labyrinth, let me know, k? I'll do the same if I figure it out first.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    I think its a shame people don't believe in religion. Why bother living?

I see this post was not accompanied with a wink smiley, what are your beliefs on the subject?

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

I see this post was not accompanied with a wink smiley, what are your beliefs on the subject?
    oh woops my bad,

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    oh woops my bad,

LadyLazarus

No, I only believe in incineration.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

@Alea_iacta_est @Nights and Days

This idea of experiencing existence ad infinitum...it's something I've been speculating on since I was a boy. I agree it can be depressing to fathom reliving the same life on repeat but...

When I try to visualize time, I don't look at it as a solid line from beginning to end (I imagine this is how most people envision it), nor do I see it as an unending circular cycle (the hindu time), but rather as spherical. Picture a vast orb slowly rotating and that is how I like to envision time. Reincarnation might work in this model.

I also think there is a possibility that there are infinite universes occupying that same sphere--Infinite "timelines" arising out of every possible scenario. The number of them that exist is unfathomable. Every so often they converge and/or intersect. These infinite "timelines" cycle across the orb or sphere, repeating, intersecting, spawning new time lines, so while we may be doomed to repeat the unpleasant aspects of our existence, there will always be new possibilities. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination, to steal from Star Trek.

See also the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Parallels" in which Lt. Worf finds himself randomly shifting from one timeline to another.