User Tag List

First 1234 Last

ThatGirl

If you act with regard, on some level what you are doing can be justified, in some aspect.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    If you act with regard, on some level what you are doing can be justified, in some aspect.

Absolutely not.

Hitler wanted the best for Germany. He acted with what he thought was regard for "his people." What he did was not morally justified.

ThatGirl

No, Hitler acted with regard for his people, by acting without regard for the Jews.

Therefore that portion was evil.

Not against my point.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think you're "evil" if you shoot someone in the face and then making them apologize.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    No, Hitler acted with regard for his people, by acting without regard for the Jews.

Therefore that portion was evil.

Not against my point.
    So by your definition a person must have regard for all people involved in a situation, otherwise they are evil. What about self-defense? If you kill in self-defense you must disregard the life of the attacker in order to protect yourself or your loved ones. I personally do not consider that "evil."

First degree premeditated murder, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. And Hitler did more than simply "disregard" the Jews...disregard implies neglect...like people who don't care about the environment, or who say cruel things to other people without thinking.

My point is that true evil is pre-meditated, it is active and conscious, not simply a lack of regard.

On the other hand, how can we always argue that lack of regard is evil, when self-defense disregards the other person?

This is "necessary evil" perhaps? Like the bombing of Hiroshima...the Japanese would fight until the death, so we had little other choice but to stop them?

There are so many gray areas that I find it hard to define evil other than a pre-meditated, unprovoked act of extreme cruelty. And like I said, that's rare. I do believe that most "evil" behavior is due to simple disregard for others, or is even the result of childhood trauma and abuse, or simple ignorance.

Even with that being said, mentally ill people do "evil" things ...a few become serial killers, for example. Many people believe Hitler was mentally ill. Does that make his actions any less evil?

I don't know.

Thumbs down

We are truly evil when we impose our religion by force.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From "Wicked" (which addresses the same issue -- that good and evil are more ambiguous and labels that are typicaly applied to those who chase alternate 'goods' rather than true 'evils'):

Amusing... but far too true...
    Indeed... In my last novel, I've played with that too. The heroine is basically a good person, feeling guilty about a failed life and trying to amend things. She becomes a soldier (and, being an ESTJ, a loyal one), then a terrorist... and then, suddenly, realizes her enemies aren't really enemies, just ordinary people trying to make a living.
    She's brought up as a racist... Maybe there's something with this regard thing. She acts with regard to the people with the same skin colour but with true disregard for the people with different skin colour.

Now we could try and shift the number of people the character has regard for.
    Take eg a member of a small sect thinking only members are worthy people. If we take it to the extreme case, we'll get someone who disregards all other humans. Being good is then defined as being good for oneself...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

We are all evil when we look through someone else's eyes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

This topic reminds me of this:
    [YOUTUBE="dgyL_bgvEE4"]Who All Here is Evil?[/YOUTUBE]
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Seriously, I would look at it from the perspective of the immediate purpose of life (for all life forms) as survival and reproduction.

The survival instinct is the need for food, shelter, socialization, recreation, and the education and occupation needed to maintain them. Reproduction is of course sex and the related attraction and emotional bonding.

Both have become corrupted into sin (according to the Biblical definition of evil), by being taken well beyond their intended purposes and making them selfish ends in themselves. This generates much of the "difficulty" in "life".

The survival need becomes greed, theft/conquest/domination/oppression, the lies and misuse of religion and politics to cover it up, and sloth and/or decadence once you have everything you strive for. (And then boredom and a continuous repeat of the cycle as you try to find greater achievements). The reproductive need becomes all the sexual perversion and crime, as well as heartache.

So evil is potentially (at least) in all of us, so even though everyone doesn't fully act it out, that is something we have to take into account when judging someone who is acting it out more.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas